Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my longest ride so far on my new America, about 150 miles in about 2-1/2 hours and discovered that I really need some lower back support. I'm looking at getting a sissy-bar attached bag that also serves as a backrest, but wonder if I will be able to easily get my leg over the seat with the bag sitting there. Another alternative might be a Corbin seat, but at almost $600 with a backrest I am not sure about this option. I wonder what other solutions other America riders might have come up with.

·
Registered
706 Posts
One thing about Corbin's....some people really hate them and other really like them...I am in the like camp...Every bike I have owned I put a Corbin on it...

To answer you question, I would say it depends on how flexible you are...I find that if I have a bag mounted on my fender I can't swing my leg over it...so it is more of a side kick move to get my leg over the bike.

·
Banned
144 Posts
I have thought the same thing, Vito. I know that you are vertically challenged (like me). I am having my seat and passenger seat reworked, I can just swing my leg over the passenger seat to mount the bike, I like some cannot swing over/step over the rider seat. My solution is to take my wife on more rides and teach her "Road Massage".
Good luck buddy, let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Look around here. There was a thread somewhere where someone made a small backrest using the backrest pad from the triumph passenger backrest for a rider backrest.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting post!

I've had my 2010 America for a couple of months now and whilst I haven't done much in the way of long rides, I have noticed that I also get lower back pain after about half an hour of riding. Whilst I can't dismiss the possibility that at 51 years of age I may be in need of a full service! I also wondered if the problem was more likely due to the forward position of the pegs which tends to make the rider 'slouch' in the seat and put additional pressure on the lower spine. My America is the first bike I've riden with the forward peg configuration so I'd be interested to know if others have come across the same problem and if so if they have found any way of minimising the issue.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Footpeg position does play a role but even with a fully upright seating on my last bike I needed a back rest for long ride comfort. I still like my America but I have spent about $1000 to modify my brand new Classic Tourer.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With my knee problem I think I will be out of luck regarding a backrest. I don't think I can get my leg over the seat with the backrest in the way. As it is my boot scraps over the passenger seat. Maybe an aftermarket seat replacement that gives just a bit more support to the lower back will help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts