Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to try my hand at brake cleaning, pad replacement with the Delboy's Garage series as a guide. So, I ordered pads from Revzila, which just arrived. For some reason, I was over on Amazon looking at parts and I pulled up the pads and Yikes! Amazon says the part numbers DO NOT fit my 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100. Revzila says they DO.

Adding to my consternation, the pads pictured at Revzila do not look exactly like the pads in my packages. I suppose they may use some generic photos and go by part number, but I'm too nervous to take my brakes apart to see and find out these do not fit and be stuck waiting on new pads. Very weird.

Parts are EBC FA214/2 organic rear pads
and EBC FA196HH Sintered pads front

Here are the actual packages. I need to know not only if the part number is right but if the actual pads themselves look right. You'll see why because below the online photos don't look like these.

Here, Revzila says the part number fits my bike, but the pads look very different

On Amazon, the pads look like what I have, but they say they DO NOT fit (upper left)

Here Revzila says the rears fit my bike, but the pair doesn't look like the pair in my package.

And here are the Amazon rear, says they DO NOT fit and they look different.

Because the photos are all different, I really need someone to look at the pads in the packages and tell me I'm OK. Thanks very much.

Color me confused and nervous in Philadelphia.

Cheers,

JC

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've decided to try my hand at brake cleaning, pad replacement with the Delboy's Garage series as a guide. So, I ordered pads from Revzila, which just arrived. For some reason, I was over on Amazon looking at parts and I pulled up the pads and Yikes! Amazon says the part numbers DO NOT fit my 2013 Triumph Bonneville T100. Revzila says they DO.

Adding to my consternation, the pads pictured at Revzila do not look exactly like the pads in my packages. I suppose they may use some generic photos and go by part number, but I'm too nervous to take my brakes apart to see and find out these do not fit and be stuck waiting on new pads. Very weird.

Parts are EBC FA214/2 organic rear pads
and EBC FA196HH Sintered pads front

Here are the actual packages. I need to know not only if the part number is right but if the actual pads themselves look right. You'll see why because below the online photos don't look like these.

View attachment 725691

Here, Revzila says the part number fits my bike, but the pads look very different

View attachment 725692

On Amazon, the pads look like what I have, but they say they DO NOT fit (upper left)

View attachment 725693

Here Revzila says the rears fit my bike, but the pair doesn't look like the pair in my package.

View attachment 725694

And here are the Amazon rear, says they DO NOT fit and they look different.

View attachment 725695

Because the photos are all different, I really need someone to look at the pads in the packages and tell me I'm OK. Thanks very much.

Color me confused and nervous in Philadelphia.

Cheers,

JC
Hello mate,

I wouldn’t flap. Just pop your old pads out and compare them. You could also go on line and look at EBC’s website for fitment guidance. You won’t loose anything by having a look; if they are wrong you can send them back..

The pics look stock and I wouldn’t pay them much heed.

Hope it all pans out for you!

KR

Chris

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I think they use the photos for more than one model. The thing that threw me for a loop was the Amazon site saying the part number wasn't for me, and Revzila saying it was. I can also rewatch the Delboy's Garage videos, I can see what they look like there.

LATER: Well sites seem to use photos at random, but I rewatched the Delboy vids and I have the right things. Figured Revzila would get it right.

Disturbing Amazon has it wrong, though. Be careful getting bike parts from them, I guess.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Many times, Amazon, ebay and others get the compatibility issue wrong particularly with bikes, but also cars. Databases not aligned. Always best to go to the manufacturer's site to verify. Noticed it's particularly a problem when there is a new model year introduction. Compatibility tools while well intended, don't seem to be as well maintained. I've learned to ignore them most times.

·
Driftless Admin
11,674 Posts
Amazon "fits you vehicle" sucks and should never be trusted.

Those are the correct pads. Those are the right numbers, and how they look. You are running organic on the rear and sintered on the front. That's a fine configuration, I've done that many times.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I won't go to Amazon for parts any more. I figured Revzilla would get it right.

·
Driftless Admin
11,674 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate buying parts from Amazon if I knew that part number. Or Revzilla obviously. But they are just victims of bad databases.

Even the Triumph online OEM catalog all the vendors use (except maybe BikeBandit) doesn't think carbed Bonnevilles were made in 2008. Which makes my bike feel ignored and dismissed :(

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's not a big job to pull the old ones and compare them , ( you can do it )
I agree, but I'd rather have the right pads at the start of the job. Anyway I confirmed I've got the right ones. Amazon's faulty database and wrong photos were the culprit.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wouldn't hesitate buying parts from Amazon if I knew that part number. Or Revzilla obviously. But they are just victims of bad databases.
It's not that I won't buy parts from Amazon ... I just won't trust their guide on whether it fits my bike or not. I expect Revzilla to NOT have that issue, and their prices are competitive with Amazon. It's searching for the right part, not buying parts, per se, that I won't do at Amazon.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
I'd trust Revzilla. The parts you have look correct.

·
Registered
370 Posts
JCinPA: I think you made a great choice with organics in back. When I replaced the rear pads on my '12 Bonnie SE, I initially went with HH pads for more bite. While they did provide more bite with less lever action, I also had instances of rear wheel lock up during panic braking. Went back to organic and I am happier for it.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I'm not that smart, I must have read about it on here somewhere! :) I know nothing about these bikes I have not learned from you guys. Nothing. I know these have a reputation for being easy to lock up in back.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
I use HH in back because they last longer. I've never locked the back.

·
Registered
435 Posts
HH on the back for me too. Working well! Never been an issue. Seems to be more discussion on this than actually occurs. Perhaps more of a problem for those heavy footed brethren?

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've never had an issue either, but I've only used HH on the front. The one time my dealer replaced the pads for me, they used HH front, organic rear, IIRC. I took the idea from this forum. The mix has always worked for me, although HH on both might work just as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was about to post this same exact question. Was going to use the EBC HH pads up front since there is 0 feeling up there, and leave the backs stock as they seem quite grabby the way they are already set up.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Was about to post this same exact question. Was going to use the EBC HH pads up front since there is 0 feeling up there, and leave the backs stock as they seem quite grabby the way they are already set up.
"Grabby": That's what I find interesting. I don't get much feel from the rear brake at all, with both OEM and EBC HH pads. Cleaning and rebuilding it didn't change that feeling either, although it needed to be done. Maybe I need to stomp on it, which I never do.

HH on the front is good.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am using EBC HH on the front. I did like HH on the rear from a wear standpoint and they had a good progressive bite feel to them. It was just when I panic braked to avoid a car entering an intersection out of turn, I ended up locking my rear wheel. Thankfully, I avoided the accident, but it very close. I should have practiced hard braking more after switching to the HH pads, which I am sure would have helped. I am thinking with the rear got lighter from applying heavy front brake and it did not take much rear brake pedal force to lock it up. The EBC organic rear pads are lasting much longer compared to the oem, so that is a plus. Moral of the story - practice, practice, practice with what you have. You never know when you will need to emergency maneuver and muscle memory from the practice should take over.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts