Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum Members,

I'm a new member, and currently ride a BMW Roadster, but am looking to purchase a Triumph, and could use some expert advice.

I've narrowed my search down to a 2002 1200 Trophy, and a 2003 955 Sprint ST. The Trophy has 9000 well maintained 1 owner miles, and is excellent condition. It has the side boxes and a top box, and comes with a Corbin seat, stock seat, tall windscreen, and stock windscreen, with an asking price of $4500.00. The Sprint ST has 14,000 miles, is in excellent condition, and has the Triumph side bags, with an asking price of $4700.00. This bike is at a dealer, and they are not able to provide a detailed history on the bike.

All opinions are greatly appreciated, and I'm particularly interested in what you think these bikes are worth.

Thanks for the help, and I'm looking forward to being a new Triumph owner.

Steve

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am probably biased but the Trophy looks like the best buy for the money. I guess it depends on how you want to ride. The Sprint is sportier but the Trophy would have no problem keeping up.

·
29,948 Posts
I am not biased, since I own neither type, and the trophy sounds like the better of the two deals.

Any chance you can get a test ride? They are both great bikes, you need to kind of find the one that speaks to you, as it were.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm leaning more towards the Trophy, as my requirements are more touring than sport, which seems to describe the Trophy. Also the Trophy is in a little better shape.

To add more to the mix, I found a 2003 Trophy with 12000 miles at another dealer today. The color is red, and it has the side cases, top case, and appears to be mostly stock. I did notice it had some surface corrosion on the lower fork clamp. No other sign of corrosion or any cosmetic damage, and the paint looks like new. The dealer wants $5500.00, but they seem ready to deal.

Steve

·
29,948 Posts
Sounds good - keep us updated on your choice - maybe post pics of your chosen ride. The trophies are great bikes, I have always liked them. Mind you, I always liked the sprints too!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Sounds like the '02 with 9000 miles is a good deal.The Trophy is a great touring bike.I've never had a mechanical problem in 50,000 miles.Very reliable bike.The only downside you should be aware of,is with the fairing,sideboxes and topbox,you have a lot of sail and strong sidewinds will push you around.This is probably true of any sport tourer,though.

·
29,948 Posts
That's definitely true, my Ninja is terrible to ride in high winds (or with high wind :eek: ) so don't let that put you off too much, that's par for the course for fully faired bikes like wildbill says.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had 3 BMWs RT,S and a '95 roadster,currently have the '02 Trophy. I did several rides on a '03 Sprint loved that triple motor and handling, but it was to close to my S at the time and I wanted something with more long distance and two up comfort. I like the power and smoothness,weather protection of the Trophy on the way to N. Georgia but when I get there I do miss the handling or the S or Sprint. I am going to put firmer front springs on my Trophy to get less brake dive and maybe a bit better handling. An updated Trophy would be sweet, although I only buy used. Never satisfied you know

·
Registered
999 Posts
Between the ST & the Trophy -- buy the Trophy, especially if you have plans to do long-distance touring. If you're doing LD with a passenger, the Trophy is even higher on the list (over the ST). Now for which Trophy, that's a bit harder. $5500 sounds high for any Trophy. Check out the Blue Book price for your area (www.kbb.com), use it for a guide only, and add a few $$ to the Blue Book price for the topcase & rear rack. IIRC, the topbox & rack together added about $700 to the base price of a Trophy. I'd guess that $300 would be about right for an add-on to the Blue Book price for a case w/rack in good condition. Check the rack & case carefully for cracks, as some members have reported cracks in both the rack and the case. Also, make sure all the keys work, and the case comes on/off easily.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Your profile states you are a Florida rider, I spent a L-O-N-G time looking at Trophys available in Florida.

Encountered some interesting Trophys with interesting stories. The forum riders were extremely helpful in providing insight.

I was lucky enough to find one, well maintained, at a good price.
Have the forum to thank for my continuing education!

You'll have to post your decision, if you went for the Sprint, or Trophy (platinum by chance?) Or are you still looking?

·
Registered
6 Posts
trophy v ST

They are chalk n cheese.
The trophy is an out and out tourer big and slow.......you know what I mean.....and the ST is far far more lighter/quicker etc. No comparison.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts