Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can have a piece of Seattle history for only one dollar. It's a sad story to those who would love to see this once-beautiful ferry restored, but it's looking more and more like it will never happen. There are also many who would like to see the thing sunk. It's on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, but it's running out of places to be historic. The non-profit foundation that currently owns it has to once again move it, or face possible $32,000/day fines from the U.S. Coast Guard. So, all you gotta do is fork over a dollar and it's yours, but the catch is that you have to restore it.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Kalakala-on-the-move-once-again-135063898.html

Before*

After

Old color home movie

Newsreel

*I originally posted the before and after pics in Old Scratcher's thread, "Classic Art Deco Beauties."

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Is it a dollar firm or do you think I might be able to beat them down a bit?

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
It would be a sin to lose such a unique vessel. I hope someone steps up and makes the commitment to restore then preserve the ferry.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, it would be a shame. I didn't know until just before posting this thread that the flying bridge was taken out and re-built using all copper when they installed the radar, for fear of iron in the ship interfering. That wasn't necessary, of course, but it adds some interest to the story. There's certainly more than a dollar's worth of copper up there. :D

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some more pictures from http://www.kalakala.org.

By the way, Kalakala is pronounced with the emphasis on the second syllable. kah-LAH-kah-lah. The newsreel narrator's pronunciation is incorrect.

The "For Sale" sign.

The "Horseshoe Cafe"

The "Palm Room".

The bridge

One of the original observation lounges

Engine room

Car deck (Room for all your motorcycles)

Current view of the "Grand Ballroom," as they're calling this space today. The caption to this photo reads: "During her years as a cannery, the floor between the promenade deck and passenger deck was removed in the forward observation lounge - creating a unqiue two-deck open space."

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
I'm thinking that big ol' ferry would make a great shed for a motorcycle or three....I wonder if it would fit in me back yard?????

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts