Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evenin' all,

I am changing my handle bars and need a longer upper front brake hose (TBS has a 'splitter' mounted on the lower triple tree). Fortunately the clutch side has some slack if needed for re-routing (at least for this iteration).

Mine is 14 3/4" center of eye to center of eye. I am thinking a 16-18" length will work (I just need ~3/4", but more is okay here).

It looks like this may be a standard diameter for Trumph (at least the banjo fitting, which is all that counts), as the banjo bolt for the Thunderbird, TBS, and Trophy are all the same. So a hose from another model may fit. The www.bikebandit.com list doesn't show lengths.

Anyone have a hose gathering dust?

G

·
You're talking about your brakes, don't, umm, mess around!

Check Pegasus Auto Racing for stainless brake lines. Measure your brake line only, not including any part of the banjo. (DAMHIK) You want size 3 line with a banjo on one end & straight swivel on the other, plus a 3AN to 10mm (3/8") banjo adapter. (They don't sell banjo-to-banjo lines.) As long as you're ordering, you might want to get 4 new crush washers too.

Another option would be to pick up 2 lines & a double banjo bolt & eliminate the splitter.

HTH,
-Kit

G

·
Forgot to mention, the lines Pegasus sells are Goodridge. They're the lowest-priced supplier I was able to find when I was looking.

The problem with Spiegler, and most of the others as well, is that they sell by make & model instead of length. Makes it bloody impossible to buy the right line if you have, say, higher bars than stock. Spiegler's prices are also somewhere between high and highway robbery.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll check them out, I have their frame sliders (saved me some bones). yes, most outfits seem particularly proud of their brake lines. The Goodridge/Pegasus liens are nicely priced at~ $22 for what I want + adapter. I went to the bone yard and bought two lines of different lengths form old Yamahaha's and a Suzi. $15 with banjo bolts/washers. That will let me see what works, then I'll order what I need. The adapter can go down to the bulkhead/Y/junction (whatever you call it).

I did notice that with the bars I put on it that having a 'flat' (not angled) banjo fitting at the master cylinder the hose laid in nicely to the bar.

Now to take her off the lift and see if the front end is twisted in the trees, or something is bent ($$$). Couldn't see any damage to that area (fender, etc), nor did I notice it until I was working on it at eye level. Here's hoping!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts