Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, is there some trick I should know about taking off the sensor?

I'm expecting my new pipe to come in early next week (M4 cf) and figured I'd get a head start on taking off my TORS so that I'll just have to slip the new ones on but I cant seem to get the O2 sensor to budge. I didnt want to wrench on it supa-hard as I dont want to screw anything up. This is the first time I'm screwing with something like this and on the surface it looked easy enough but I thought I should slow down and query you fellers that have undone yours.

Is a simple put the wrench on and twist? Should it be tight as hell?

I'm using a multi-adjustable wrench (read sears robo-grip), what size regular wrench will it take? I dont want to chance the robo-grip stripping the corners of bolt.

any insight much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Should just unscrew, might wanna spray some WD40 0n it. I used an adjustable wrench on mine.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Get the proper sized wrench. NEVER use those "Robogrip" wrenches on that kind of thing. It's asking for trouble.

With the right sized wrench you shouldn't have any trouble. They actually make a special socket for removing these things too, with a slot up the side for the wire. Not really necessary though.

A good adjustable "Crescent Wrench" should also be okay, but if you have an doubts then go with a quality end wrench. Sorry, I don't know the size off hand. Maybe 19 MM? Or 21 MM? I'm not at home so I can't measure it.

Good luck. It shouldn't be too awfully tight.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
rudeboy, as you probably already know, i put the m4 pipe on myself. that o2 sensor does take some beef to get it to unbudge. what i did was i used the specific sized wrench (i think it was 20mm but i cannot remember) and then i used another wrench to get even more leverage on it. don't worry about breaking anything. mine came unloose after i pulled on it like an 800lb gorilla.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the feedback guys,

will do with the correct wrench size!!

will do with the wd-40 and the crush washer!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Stick some copper grease (anti-seize) on the threads b4 u put it back on. Makes it easier to take off next time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts