Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping one of you can come up with a cool way to mount a front fender on the bike. If I don't figure something out soon I'm afraid this fenderless look is starting to appeal to me. The problem lies with the 17 inch wheel and all stock type mounts leave the fender several inches off the wheel (early enduro look - not so good unless I had a scrambler in which case it might look kinda cool). I have looked at dozens of after market fenders but nothing seems to look like it would work. Sometimes the solution is right in front of you and you can't see it. Any body have any ideas? Thanks.

John

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Best I can come up with for something like that would be to contact someone with a english wheel...and alot of experience with it.

You could certainly have something made...

As a side note....a full pic of the newly rebuilt ride may help to make a educated decision on your dilemma

:) :) :)

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Hmm, thats a toughie. I just welded a Honda CM450 fender to the bottom of my stock fork brace because it had the 18" radius I needed.

With some proper fill,it might look less industrial. Maybe get a 17" fender and suspend it under the Hyde with some billet stand-offs?Or maybe a chunk of billet,carved to match the under side of the Hyde with some sort of bridge lattice cut out??? :???:

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have to tell ya I really like the fenderless look. Always have.

That bike your putting together is GORGIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you show us some full pictures of your bike? Your teasing the heck out of me.

Rick..........................

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I have been in the steel fabrication/welding business
for about 30 years now. I am sure if you bring it to a
competent shop they could cut and rise the fender mounting
tabs , weld and blend them in for you.
Bill

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I like rodburner's idea. Take a stock fender brace, you can buy that part alone from the Triumph dealer for under 50 bucks, I think they may be around $20-30.

Bolt it up, see if you can mount a fender under it, or maybe cut the center out of it and weld/blend the fender in.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Simple, that Norman Hyde fork brace has holes on the uderside already tapped for a fender..... The brace under my factory fender was bent, so I removed it then mounted my abreviated fender to the Norman Hyde. I'd get one of the glass/plastic fenders from our local friendly vendor and paint it.

Hmmm..... I see now, it would be hovering a bit high over the wheel though....
:???:

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2007-02-27 18:45 ]

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
John, you can heat up the tabs on the stock brace and bend them up 180... That would lower it, it's hard to tell in that 2nd photo..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's an idea for you. Take a piece of tubing and weld a washer to one end and grind clean, then cut the other end to fit the fender. Drill a hole in the fender the same size as the tubing ID and weld the tubing on. The bolt will go through the fender and tubing, I would use an allen bolt.
Here's a drawing.

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
I know I say this often, but you guys are amazing with your technical knowledge and creativity. It is really impressive...

And by the way Thrux...nice (Ridge worthy) garage!

This from a guy who needs a minimum of two trips to the hardware store to change a light bulb. :hammer:

:razz:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I like the fenderless look myself. However, if you're going to do a lot of work to "finish" your bike, I think going fenderless would make it look somehow unfinished. So, I agree that bolting a fender to the brace would probably work, but I also agree that it might end up too high. So how about putting in some spacers between the brace and the fender?

Alternatively, a sport bike fender might look cool. It would be difficult to find one without actually trying them on for size though.

Finally, you could always bend a bracket to work with the existing mounts on the lower forks.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I think 04 black bonnie has the right idea. It may be easier to cut the mounting tabs off the stock brace, put the center section where you want it and make a new set of mounting tabs. Mounted to the underside of the fork brace with a solid filler to get the desired height would probably look good also. Everything is looking great. Your bike should be featured in Torque when you are done.-T1

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone for your ideas and comments. For those looking for a finished photo - sorry to say this project is a long (LONNGGG) way from being done. Everything is kinda mocked up at this point, trying to figure out the front fender before moving into paint work. I have looked at the stock mount and a fender fits under it - but well - that thing is ugly on top - although with some cutting grinding smoothing it may do. What would really work is to have new fork mounting tabs welde on 2 inches lower. Toyanvil - your idea has got me thinking - I might be able to fab something like this for mounting.

I kinda like the fenderless look as well - and they bike is leaning towards a decidedly functional race like appearance - but then those four mounting tabs and the lower legs will bug me and I'll be grinding them off. It's not like the stock bobbed fender does a whole lot for you in the rain anyway. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
No idea if it would work, but maybe that MAS front fender from NB would look good. As far as adjusting the height... it looks like the mounting tabs are riveted on. If you could rotate the tabs a little bit at the rivet, maybe you could cut the tabs in the middle (to make two straps on each side), rotate them a little bit for the right height, drill new mounting holes in the tabs, and keep the look. Sorry, no drawing. Or make custom brackets, similar to those on the fender with the proper specs that you need. BTW, I like the monochromatic look with the frame and the tank.

Brian

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
If you're thinking of mounting new tabs, I'd go with something racier. Check out the fender on this Guzzi:

MAS has one for the Monster that would look cool:

It's got some chrome for the oldschool look, and the brackets could be painted to match the rest of your bike. You'd have to mount tabs for it of course, but if you're considering that anyway...

[ This message was edited by: Mancha on 2007-02-28 11:00 ]

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
On 2007-02-27 17:42, Thrux-ton-up wrote:

The problem lies with the 17 inch wheel and all stock type mounts leave the fender several inches off the wheel (early enduro look - not so good unless I had a scrambler in which case it might look kinda cool).
Nice work so far John... the silver frame and polished forks make a real nice combo. :upthumb:

Here's what I think's gonna look right regarding the fender mounting. Regardless of the height, it will only look correct when it's mounted concentric to the wheel itself. Is the radius of the fender you want to mount designed to match an 18" wheel (IE: stock fender)? If so, you may want to leave it mounted up the extra inch... IMO.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On 2007-03-04 18:47, rbrian_taylor wrote:
t-tonup, So what are you leaning towards?
Brian - kinda put it on the back burner for a bit.

Thanks Phil - the fenders I have - MAS alloy and a stock thrux both fit the radius of the wheel very well - and either would look great if I could come up with a mounting system.

John

Hers the stocker sitting on the tire spaced up about 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts