Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Wow

Gorgeous bike man... hmmmm.... could that be where I take my '69??

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Making my 70 Bonnie jealous as well.

That bobbed fender. is it available somewhere? Or has it just
been cut down?

·
Registered
161 Posts
That is a nice piece of work, clean. I do like the bars, it looks like you might be able to fit stock '78 hand controls on them, mounting lugs might be a problem though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Paul, I followed the link to the site where you documented the project. It was very informative. It really helps to see how to keep the project organized, and work through it methodically. The only thing I didn't like so much was the breezy "The [name of part] was bent [broke/missing/stripped], so I just used one I had on the shelf." Don't get me wrong, I'm really impressed with that, but I'm envious of your experience and inventory.

There were some things I wondered about. In post #58 you had a picture of dozens of new parts spread out. To place the order did you make a list of what to buy as you dismantled, or do you have a more-or-less standard checklist of things that are always needed?

In post 79 you mentioned having the wrong knave plate for the front brake... one that was for a 650. Was that a styling issue or functional. How much difference is there in TLS brake assemblies for 650s and 500s. I'm wondering now if I have one that will suit my bike.

In post 84 you showed the left and right cases with their bushing and bearing. Probably dumb question coming... Is it possible to put in a roller bearing instead of the bushing, as in the 69 design? Maybe with a case modification? If it is possible, would it be recommended?

Finally, since the project has a cafe flavor, did you or Ned consider rearset footpegs and controls? Are they available?

Add me to the list of those who like the bars. Seems like rearsets would go well with them.

·
Super Moderator
13,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only thing I didn't like so much was the breezy "The [name of part] was bent [broke/missing/stripped], so I just used one I had on the shelf." Don't get me wrong, I'm really impressed with that, but I'm envious of your experience and inventory.
Not throwing anything away has paid off over the years. Buying big boxes full of stuff I thought I'd never use, just to get to the one or two bits I needed, has also paid off!

There were some things I wondered about. In post #58 you had a picture of dozens of new parts spread out. To place the order did you make a list of what to buy as you dismantled, or do you have a more-or-less standard checklist of things that are always needed?
A little of both; I keep the parts book up on the computer screen, then print out one page at a time and check off stuff that's there, or circle stuff I need, as the disassembly, parts washing and measurement stages roll along. Many engine overhaul parts are "no questions asked" replacement such as gaskets, seals and locktab washers.

In post 79 you mentioned having the wrong knave plate for the front brake... one that was for a 650. Was that a styling issue or functional. How much difference is there in TLS brake assemblies for 650s and 500s. I'm wondering now if I have one that will suit my bike.
Ned wanted an upgraded front brake, and I happened to have one. The knave plate was a purely styling issue.

In post 84 you showed the left and right cases with their bushing and bearing. Probably dumb question coming... Is it possible to put in a roller bearing instead of the bushing, as in the 69 design? Maybe with a case modification? If it is possible, would it be recommended?
I'm hot sure whether it's do-able or not, I've never researched it.

Finally, since the project has a cafe flavor, did you or Ned consider rearset footpegs and controls? Are they available?
Nope, he's too big for rearsets. I believe they're available, but haven't looked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts