Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the fairings I'm getting have the heat foam shaved off the inside, wonder how important it was to have this on and where I could aquire more of it. I probably could pull the stuff off my old fairing but it wants to tear and that could be time consuming.

Thanks
tom

·
Registered
266 Posts
From what I was told on my Daytona it was to keep the engine noise down. I didn't replace the foam on the new side fairing, and didn't really notice any difference

·
Registered
74 Posts
Heat was never a prob for Riders of the 955i series bikes.But...at the bottom of the Left hand side, there is protection from the exhaust pipe as it bends down and across. To protect the fairing only..... I believe.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Heat was never a prob for Riders of the 955i series bikes.But...at the bottom of the Left hand side, there is protection from the exhaust pipe as it bends down and across. To protect the fairing only..... I believe.

Cheers

That is correct but in the belly pan there is no foam only a sliver foil type product stuck to the fairing.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I'm thinking in order to keep the sound there but protect from heat I should get some of the metal stuff and stick it on.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yep,, That is all you'll need.
If you scan, say, a building Construction site refuse dump bin, you may get lucking finding some Air Conditioning Plant Insulation. Stuff they use to wrap hot pipe in. Don't use any soft plastic or Polystyrene coated with ALfoil. Also don't just use any common contact glue. There is enough heat in the Belly Pan to roast a Butt'o'Beaf & Vegies.

Good luck with it RedMozzy.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
I think you would be wiser to visit an exhaust company for some foil type of product, most building materials are not going to withstand the heat from a triple 955 exhaust.

Good idea sidi but one I do not think is wise.

It needs to be designed for the purpose, that is hot exhaust shielding.

You don't want to be starting any fires in your belly pan now do you?

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why is the mid fairing using foam? is this some sort of heat foam or the suggested noise reducer?

As DEcosse suggested is it simply to keep heat from channeling onto my leg? I already had a fair amount of heat build up on the frame itself. One of the saving graces when I crashed, it would turn my leg bright red from heat so I'd wear pants. (Now I know always to wear pants)

The lower fairing i'm getting will most likely be fleabayed cause I don't really need it, some how both lowers survived quite well, especially the right side, which is the side I'm getting. So I won't need to heat shield that as the original still has it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Red,
If you still have the Lower 'Belly Pan' in good order, Yes? with Foil intact, Yes?
Then the other foam on the side bits, is completely optional for you.:D
It is Only, for reducing the engine noise. Reason?. Consider a Drum. The skin of the drum can be akin to the fairing. Place some soft material inside the drum and it deadens (Muffles)the sound a bit. Much in the same way as the foam on the Fairing. In technical terms, the foam in the fairing is to reduce the fairing reaching resonance with the engine and radiating.
From what you've written, it seems your good to go.:)

The Heat generated in the newer 1050 bikes was horrendous, until they inserted a high density/heat resilient foam barrier to stop it burning through your shin/lower leg. Even through your boots, it could be felt.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys,
Sidi I think what I'll do then is leave it off and see how she rides without it in the spring and if its no good find a way to pull off the old stuff or find a store that sells similar stuff and attach it.
Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts