Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I managed to get the shock reservoir out by loosening the subframe.
But two spacers fell out and I'm not sure where they go. I thought they came out of the bottom shock mount but with the (Nitron) shock in placement there is no movement at that end with the bolt screwed on.
However, at the top there is probably 3mm either side of the shock but it doesn't seem enough room to accommodate both spacers.
Has anyone got a diagram of where these spacers go?
And which way around?-They are like a hollow top hat.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That makes sense.
It would seem that the new shock doesn't need the spacers but I think they have put he wrong sized mount on the top-24mm instead of 30mm.
I guess 3mm spacers either side should work. Right?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Glad I found this and your previous thread - I wasn't expecting to have to remove the tank and loosen up the subframe to remove the original shock! I thought the swap would be a <30 mine job, ended up taking a couple of hours. I just decided to mount the new reservoir on the subframe instead so it will be easier to access in the future.

I can confirm that the extra spacers you found aren't needed - they come already installed on the nitron. I didn't have the issue with the top spacing being off though, if anything mine was a little tight as I had to compress it to get it to fit in place.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't have the issue with the top spacing being off though, if anything mine was a little tight as I had to compress it to get it to fit in place.
Nitron said that "new boy" assembled mine and screwed up with the op mount. Not very happy with them. They didn't really appreciate that it was goin to be another damn ball ache for me to remove the shock, somehow press out the existing spacer and reinsert the new wider ones. And then they didn't send them to me when they said they would. Couldn't do my weekend away as planned.

·
Registered
90 Posts
That definitely sucks, hopefully they get you the right size soon. The top spacers weren't too hard to remove on mine, so at least once you get it loose it shouldn't be hard to swap.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The spacers that need replacing are specific to the Nitron shock. They said they need drifting out and the new ones pressing in with a vice. So I can't do it with them in situ.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got it - I think I was confusing it with the bottom spacers which popped out by hand on mine.

On a positive note I just weighed the stock shock - weighs over 9 lbs while the Nitron was ~6.5lbs. Probably doesn't matter too much - is shock weight sprung or unsprung? Probably mostly sprung. In any case it pushes the total weight I've removed from the bike up over 20lbs at this point.

Haven't had a chance to ride the bike with the new shock yet, but taking it out to the track on Monday so that'll be a good test.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Haven't had a chance to ride the bike with the new shock yet, but taking it out to the track on Monday so that'll be a good test.
I see you are in Philly area, what track are you going to? NJMP? Is there a particular company you do track days with, would really like to get into that in the near future.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, NJMP. I've done a couple days there with Team ProMotion (https://ridetpm.com/) and it's been a lot of fun, I highly recommend it - they have a basic class for new track riders which is a good introduction. Next week California Superbike School (https://superbikeschool.com) is at NJMP so I'm going out for their level 1 class to get some more personalized instruction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts