Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so close but bought a Ducati Multi-strada instead,
I had test ridden the triple several times and had decided to wait now till 2013 for the brand new bike but then the damn dealer also secured Ducati dealership and I took the ms1200s out for a spin and fell in love with this beast. I know its a different bike and I was so close to my first Triumph ( also have a HD Fatbob) but the Duke just won me over. Probably because its more functional on a day to day basis to be honest but I hope I wont regret it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can you give a comparison on the two bikes?
To be honest they are very different. The Duke is advertised as 4 bikes in one and it really is one of the most comfortable bikes I have every rode. The Speed to me is a pure naked sports bike and O really loved it, but I suppose the Duke just did more for me overall. I suppose its not really fair to compare bith bikes as they are very different and maybe the Explorer is more of a direct bike to bike comparission but the MS is definite in sports mode a great handling "sports bike" as well.

I suppose to really compare both would take a more experienced rider to explain the real differences but the Speed left me with a huge grin on my face after riding it for an hour. The MS had me thinking for days later, this is one hell of a motorcycle , but as I stated I am not as experience on sports bikes as some to really compare the two.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, thanks for that, it was because im looking to get a ms, what about the engines?
to be honest I took it easy on both but the MS is wicked fast in the S mode. I am not slamming the Speed at all but the MS is just an incredable piece of equipment. Its full of technology and very very quick yet very easy to ride slow as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I test rode a Multistrada 1100s before I bought my Speed Triple. I know the 1200 is supposed to be significantly better so maybe it's not a good comparison, but I was less than impressed with the Ducati. I thought the engine on the S3 (and the Tiger 1050 for that matter) was much more fun. If I had decided on practicality over pure fun, I would have gotten the Tiger 800 or 1050 over the Multi.

But again, I've heard the 1200 is just awesome. I'm glad I didn't test ride one because $20k for the S model (before farkles) is way out of my budget! :D

·
Registered
532 Posts
What on earth is this thread supposed to be about? A guy who test rode a Speed Triple a few times, and then bought a Ducati Multistrada is supposed to know ....what? I can't think of anything. I rode a Harley XR1200 a few times and then traded my KTM SD 990 in on a 2011 Triumph S3....Perhaps I should post this important info. on the Harley XR1200 forum?

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
The MS is much closer in 'function' to a Triumph Tiger Explorer, so would be better compared that way.

Bikers are just weird, emotion-driven beasts. I know, I've been one for nearly fifty years. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
I had a multi...awesome.bike. It's an.apple's to.oranges comparison and a lot.more cash. Both great bikes.

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was at the cycle shop two weekends ago having my new suspension installed on the Speedy. I was there for quite a while and was caught eyeballing a Multistrada S and the salesmen said we have a demo bike just like that one if you want to ride it. Well needless to say 10 minutes later I was off and running. No service rider. No time frame. Just heres the key have fun. I was gone for an hour and a half and put that bike through it's paces. That engine is intoxicating. The whole bike for that matter is about as perfect as I've ever rode. All day comfortable, handles like a sport bike, wheelies well, and I couldn't believe the power in every gear. I was running down the interstate at 80 in 6th and cracked the throttle and with no hesitation it just pulled like a freight train. I looked down and was running 120 just like that. The bike was planted as I carved through traffic. In fact it feels and handles like a much smaller bike. If I could justify a third bike or spending $20K on another bike I wouldn't be typing this as I'd be out riding my new Multi. Had that bike been on my radar before dropping 2 grand on new suspension I would have thought long and hard about trading in my Speedy and I flat out love my Triumph. The Multi really is that good. My two complaints beside price that is, would be the looks. I know looks are a personal thing but that whole beak looking cowl bothers me. The other isn't really a complaint I guess, I would just have to learn the power delivery of a twin as it was a little harsh on off throttle at low speed transitioning out of a corner. I said the same thing about the triple after being on 4's my whole life and now I love it. Enjoy the new bike OP.

·
Registered
109 Posts
What on earth is this thread supposed to be about? A guy who test rode a Speed Triple a few times, and then bought a Ducati Multistrada is supposed to know ....what? I can't think of anything. I rode a Harley XR1200 a few times and then traded my KTM SD 990 in on a 2011 Triumph S3....Perhaps I should post this important info. on the Harley XR1200 forum?
I know - what is the point of this thread?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts