Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been commuting to work on the Sprint lately now that the weather has finally gotten decent. Left work today at about 3:45 because of a severe thunderstorm warning. I really didn't want to be caught out on the bike if I could avoid it. So anyway I am riding home on 84 West through Hartford. I am in the left most lane doing about 75mph. Traffic is moving easily and I really don't have many cars near me so I feel pretty secure. Just before exit 45 Flatbush Ave. (A left exit)I am just starting to pass a lady in a brown mini van driving in the center lane. I'm pretty much alongside her when I notice her tires drift a bit to the left an into my lane. People meander within lanes all the time so I don't really give it a second thought until I realize she's not stopping the meander into my line. I slam on the brakes as I am leaning the bike to the left to avoid her. (ABS works very well by the way). Once I get the bike back under control I hit the horn, give her the "What the hell are you doing hand gesture" at which point she pretty much does not even acknowledge that she nearly killed me and drives on like nothing happened. I was almost going to follow her and let her have it but I remembered the results of another incident posted here and decided to just drive home and vent my frustrations here.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Those left lane exits in Hartford are really bad news.

It's hard to believe that even 20 years after that area ranked 4th for the most dangerous stretch of interstate that it's still just as broked. :)

I have been commuting to work on the Sprint lately now that the weather has finally gotten decent. Left work today at about 3:45 because of a severe thunderstorm warning. I really didn't want to be caught out on the bike if I could avoid it. So anyway I am riding home on 84 West through Hartford. I am in the left most lane doing about 75mph. Traffic is moving easily and I really don't have many cars near me so I feel pretty secure. Just before exit 45 Flatbush Ave. (A left exit)I am just starting to pass a lady in a brown mini van driving in the center lane. I'm pretty much alongside her when I notice her tires drift a bit to the left an into my lane. People meander within lanes all the time so I don't really give it a second thought until I realize she's not stopping the meander into my line. I slam on the brakes as I am leaning the bike to the left to avoid her. (ABS works very well by the way). Once I get the bike back under control I hit the horn, give her the "What the hell are you doing hand gesture" at which point she pretty much does not even acknowledge that she nearly killed me and drives on like nothing happened. I was almost going to follow her and let her have it but I remembered the results of another incident posted here and decided to just drive home and vent my frustrations here.

·
Registered
414 Posts
One thing worth mentioning here is methods of evasion in this kind of situation. If the vehicle driftover is slow, a lateral evasion rather than a hard deceleration may be an option. The problem with the hard slow down is you sometimes don't have a chance to check mirrors for what's behind you and a hard stop on a bike will always out brake a car. Or...gasp...a truck.

That's where our friends in California have a slight edge, I think. The lane split is more readily comfortable for them and legal, too. Here in Florida, I have lane split a few times in this situation. In the left cut over, I have grabbed a piece of the shoulder to give me--and the car behind me--room to slow down without heroic braking. 'Course, if there's a Jersey wall there...

Glad you made it okay. I used to live in Connecticut and know those exits. Almost as bad the tolls on I-95.

--Paul

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
It is very frustrating the way lots of people don't really give a rip on the road anymore. "Everyone" thinks they own the road and too bad if you're in my way kind of sentiments seem to be the norm now. At least there was a time when if someone almost killed you they'd be very apologetic, and I am sure there are still many good drivers like that who maybe made a mistake.

Sometimes on the other hand though, I do wonder if motorcyclists for whatever reasons, have also equally irked many cagers to the point where the cagers think all bikers are the villain. Stereotyped perhaps, we then get the glare instead of the "oops, sorry about that." I think some people won't ever see motorcyclists as legitimate and worthy of respect.

At any rate, glad nothing worse happened and you made it home safe. I remember driving on 95 from NY through New Haven many times and thought how much of a rodeo it was.

·
Registered
329 Posts
-
you obviously left her with a 'thought for the day' - and she may be a bit more tuned in next time.
Wanna bet? Hey if they are not scraping your brains off their windshield they really don't have a clue and could really care less.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
-

Wanna bet? Hey if they are not scraping your brains off their windshield they really don't have a clue and could really care less.
That is a bit of a broad brush danall.

And I have been hit by 2 cars, 1 x bikes and a bus once so I have some idea about ouch time on a bike.

Most of the time I managed to crash without the help of others though:eek:

True there are a lot of fools driving cars and trucks and busses but in my experience on road bikes there are just as many fools riding motorcycles.
I also almost got killed once in my new sedan when I got hit twice by a semi trailer petrol tanker on the Gateway bridge, he didn't see me????

I agree completely all riders should ride as though everyone else on the road is blind and stupid.

I have driven everything from 50cc scooters to semis trailers and I see bikes doing stuff just as dumb and dangerous as I do everyone else.

Motor cycles lane splitting and then pulling in front of a braking semi or B- Double (Double articulated semi we have in Australia), it all happens everyday and all drivers and riders do stoopid stuff all the time.

I think a bit of balance is required here.:rolleyes:

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
155 Posts

glad you got out of that situation ok.

·
Banned
918 Posts
Glad you had the time and room to maneuver. I've seen some dangerous lane changes around here and it seems like they are getting more common.
In order to avoid having to brake in the lane you are in because they are braking, why, you just slam your car over into the left lane with no signal and total disregard for the fact that there is barely room to fit your vehicle between the car you are cutting off and the car in front of them. And these aren't panic maneuvers, they just don't want to have to slow down.

They recently installed a very short detour in town so they can start work on an overpass. 4 lanes divided only by paint. 4 very sharp entry and exit curves.
I was riding in the right lane yesterday morning and was into the first right hand curve when I notice the bulk of the SUV next to me 3 feet into my lane. I am even with the front of their vehicle, so am in plain view when they finally notice me and jerk it back over. I had nowhere to go with a concrete barrier on my right if they had kept coming.
All I could think was why in God's name are you changing lanes in the middle of a sharp corner in a freaking DETOUR???
It only takes about 15 seconds to get through it and it's dangerous enough without the Andretti stunts.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Hi Pat,

Now you know why I dont like I84 it sucks...last time I almost got killed was the rte 9 I84 connector...guy squeezed me to the breakdown lane as he skated past me. Call me lets ride soon....pick a wednesday but give me a 5 day notice.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just this morning on the way to work a soccer mom in a minivan making a right out from a sidestreet paused at her stop sign only long enough to look directly at me before pulling out immediately in front of me.

Things like that happen every day. The most charitable thing I can say is that they are like deer - you never know what they are going to do or which way they are going to bolt - but they probably think the same of us when they bother to notice us at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Man, glad you are OK. I live in Illinois where lane splitting is not legal, but most riders do it all the time as a safety measure. It is a place to run as in your case, and a place to hide during a stop on a highway.

When traveling along on a highway at speed and then come to grid lock I always split the lane when I come to a stop. Most people around Chicago drive like zombies and don't stop in time when faced with a situation like that. So I hide in the gaps between cars until there are a few people stopped behind me and then re-enter the lane. Honestly it is those times that scare me the most when I ride.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hi Pat,

Now you know why I dont like I84 it sucks...last time I almost got killed was the rte 9 I84 connector...guy squeezed me to the breakdown lane as he skated past me. Call me lets ride soon....pick a wednesday but give me a 5 day notice.
Ric, Patrick,

You guys need to come down for a nice ride along the shore line..

Gerry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts