Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going up US34 to Estes Park (CO) noticed alot of bicyclists - the Brainwashed Green Type (think that they own the road, because they are environmentally friendly). They don't like shoulder and don't believe in single file. Wouldn't mind herding them over the side and into the stickers or rock wall but, that's not good for the image. :cannon:
Try to pass them quickly.
Anyone else have problems with these "clowns"?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Anyone else have problems with these "clowns"?
According to a friend, they don't wash off all that well from the bumper of his Hummer....

;)

Derswede

(Above is a joke, and I do respect bicyclist's rights....my brother used to race push-bikes, and he was just hurt in an accident...lady did a "no signal" U-turn and hit him. 4 cracked vertebrae. Ouch... we're not the only ones that cagers run over....)

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'm a firm believer in "Share the Road"

but it has to be a two-way street. Generally, I slow my approach (and allow the burble of the pipes to announce my presence) and then pass when it's safe and prudent. Rarely do I employ the horn as it seems to irritate them and encourages more anti-social behavior.
Most of them will close ranks, but the militantly-inclined "rolling sphincters" will actually spread out and attempt to block passage of others. I remember one time last year when about a dozen cars, trucks and bikes were caught behind such a group.
A fellow resembling every stereotypical ******* ever seen in the movies was driving a plaid '62 Ford pickup which apparently had no piston rings whatsoever in the engine.
He roared past them on the shoulder and proceeded to slow down forcing them to breathe his putrid blue exhaust for a few miles.
A few of them pulled over and got out their cell phones.

Don't know the outcome, but we were all finally able to pass safely.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I find,in the UK,that cyclists are,in general ,the most ignorant of road users,horse riders,the most courteous and 4x4 drivers the most dangerous:eek:

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts
Ignorant cyclists do stand out, literally, some do not appear to be aware that two abreast take as much room up as a car. Horse riders here are the most concerned, some of them riding on country roads, mostly young girls, with frisky highly strung horses (which a lot of thoroughbreds are) are running a big risk to everyone.

.....and as a 4WD driver I can only say the females are worse, they love going across the line on blind bends.

----------------
Ride on ! :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Around here the most popular bicycle routes are posted to stay single file. It's usually in the mountains and by their doing so it helps but there are times that I'm sure they want to commit suicide. It's not so bad getting past them on the Bonneville but when hauling horses (wide load) with the 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel and I finally pass I just keep thinking that I'm going to hear a "thump".

In George Carlin's last recorded stand up show he made his point of his distaste for Armstrong. I'm beginning to think I agree with him.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have a lot of sympathy for cyclists, being one myself and knowing how vulnerable you can be amongst traffic. But there are knobs who own all manner of vehicles and the herd mentality can take over some, even on a push bike. Since the Thatcher/ Blair years there's a lot more 'new money' in the UK and consequently more imported vehicles like huge American Chevy trucks and SUVs, which over here are more like fashion statements for going to the supermarket than proper utility vehicles. On the UK's puny little congested narrow roads it makes for a trying time as a lot of them try to out a-hole one another. Best stay away from ego-drivers/ cyclists - they tend to cause accidents.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Don't know,wasn't England by any chance was it?:D
Haha, I think he mentioned it was outside the Austin city limits where there seemed to be an active hatred of cyclists... maybe some blokes from the forum live out there. :D

Yeah with all that money he's helped funnel into cancer research, all those TDF victories, and sleeping with Sheryl Crow, I'd hate him too...

Can't we all just get along? -RK

·
Registered
336 Posts
Not all bicyclists are jerks or idiots. I think at last count there were at least three safe, intelligent, courteous bicyclists in the US.

During a recent trip to Taliesin (Wisconsin) and its artsy fartsy environs, the narrowest back roads had "Share the Road" signs every mile. And of course these barely navigable roads were covered with self-righteous bicyclists happily ignoring traffic laws.

I guess as long as there are "Share the Road" signs nearby I can ride my motorcycle with my eyes closed.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Geez, I've haven't seen this much misinformation and elitism for a long time. First off I ride my motorcycle and bicycle just about every day. I have been a competitive road cyclist for more than 25 yrs. So I've seen it all. All road users have responsibilities and one of the most neglected that I've experienced (mostly from drivers) is knowledge of the laws as they apply to bicycles. In all US states, bicycles are ENTITLED to use the road. The shoulder is not the road and is usually covered in debris making unreasonable to ride a bicycle there. It is the responsibility of the driver of a passing vehicle to pass safely and not to "intimidate" cyclists by passing too close. By the same token it is the responsibility of cyclists to not impede the flow of traffic. In many US states, bicycles may ride two abreast but must ride single file to allow traffic to pass. That said, even when a group is riding single file does not mean it is safe to pass. In addition, there are some road conditions that motorist are not allowed to pass a bicycle. An example is if the road it too narrow to accommodate a bicycle and car with a safe distance between (usually 3'). I could go on and on but after a lifetime of road use in trucks, cars, motorcycles, and on a bicycles I conclude that there are morons in all types of vehicles. Most of these morons are in cars and unfortunately some are on motorcycles (as evidenced by this thread).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SuperDuty if you took the time to read the replies, you would realize we ALL AGREE for the need to SHARE the road and that are those who forgot the rules learned in Kindergarden. Among which was SHARING and being POLITE!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I too have logged about as many hours on bicycles as I have on motorcycles. But I do not ride bicycles on heavily traveled roads that are barely big enough for cars and which have a lot of automobile traffic. This is what I saw in Wisconsin. It was arrogance and stupidity demonstrated by cyclists who had much better places to ride. The area was cris-crossed with less traveled roadways.

I have the right to do many things that are dangerous and that inconvenience others but I avoid doing them.

"Elitist" is how I would describe the attitude of the kind of bicyclists who are being criticized in this thread.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Some do not appear to be aware that two abreast take as much room up as a car.
I'm a competitive road and off-road cyclist. I often ride in large (10-20+) groups, and almost always two abreast. And we know that while we are in 2 'files', we take up about as much room as a car would. It's the reason for doing it!

Let me explain... Out on narrow, sh!tty, windy lanes, TOO many times on my own, or in single file, cars squeeze past, and push us into hedges, verges, ditches, bushes... Basically, whatever is on the extreme left hand side of the road (we drive on the LEFT, remember ;)). And it's blummin' dangerous!

So if we ride two-abreast, it forces cars to overtake us, using a proper overtaking manoever. Not just-gotta-squeeze-past to HOLY CRAP!! ON COMING CAR!! And then shove us into the verge.

I agree, EVERYONE on the road needs to be reasonable, but for the sake of slowing a few cars down for 1 minute, while they wait for a straight long and wide enough to see clearly to safely overtake, is more than worth the horn blasts, and the birds we get flipped at us...

My LIFE or some verbal abuse... Wonder which one I'm gonna choose, ay???

Oh, and this isn't a 'dig' at anyone (apart from you impatient car drivers - if you're reading!!! :D). So please, don't try and flame me to a crisp! :)

·
Premium Member
14,084 Posts

So if we ride two-abreast, it forces cars to overtake us, using a proper overtaking manoever. Not just-gotta-squeeze-past to HOLY CRAP!! ON COMING CAR!! And then shove us into the verge................
We ride/drive on the left here too, riding two-abreast is legal here too and it's done too often in dangerous situations. Cyclists appear near stationary to vehicles on country roads with speed limits of 100km. This is particularly so on blind uphill bends and yet we still see cyclists two-abreast. These are accidents just waiting to happen.

'Forcing' vehicles to do anything with a bicycle takes some guts !

Here's a quote from the road-code about cycling two-abreast: Cycling two abreast is legal in New Zealand, but cyclists also have a duty not to unduly obstruct other traffic !

Here's a recent posted blog on cycling in fog, yet another hazard !

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/blogs/drivetalk/2845237/Cyclists-and-fog-don-t-mix

--------------
Ride on ! :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have to address a kind of unthinking arrogance that many motorcyclists share with bicyclists when riding on two-way two-lane roads.

Many believe that a two-wheeler should hug the center line because that "forces" cars to go all the way into the other lane to pass.

But if I hug the center line there is no reason to believe that the car will be farther away from me than if I hug the side of the road, even if the car doesn't entirely leave my lane when passing me. In fact, my experience has been that if I hug the center, cars just barely miss me when they pass. But if I hug the side of the road after they begin to pass, they always keep several feet away. I'd rather be alive than "right."

Plus, if you ride near the center line you have a greater chance of a head-on collision. Plus, if I have a front wheel blow-out I'd rather tumble on the side of the road than into oncoming traffic.

No, I don't ride along hugging the outside of the road all the time, inviting cars (or motorcycles) to pass me in my lane. But I move aside when tons of metal approach me.

Still, I'm sure someone will contradict me by parroting the usual sales pitch for center-line hugging.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts