Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, way back in May, I got caught by a speed camera going 47mph on a 40mph road. Totally my fault for getting carried away when overtaking a slow-ass Toyota Prius that was going 18mph.

Anyway, instead of getting a fine and points on my licence (which is good as there are specific rules for new riders getting points on the licence within first two years), I was given the chance to attend a National Speed Awareness course.

Due to covid, all the courses are being done virtually via Zoom. I was given three months from the date of the offence to register online, book and attend the course. However, due to an input mistake with my driving licence number by London Metropolitan Police, I was given an extra month. Especially since it took me ages to get through to the right department who could have changed the error, only to try and contact them again when ti turns out their system hadn’t updated the new info.

The course costs £90 and lasts two and a half hours. It basically is a more advanced version of learning road safety, focussing on stopping distances, knock-on effects if you have a crash (to you, the victim, their family, your family) and how to identify the speed limit of any road you are on.

Was it worth it? If I hadn’t done my mod 1 and mod 2 so recently (Dec 2019 and Jan 2020 respectively) then I would say yes, as other people on the course said. For me though, it was more a refresher and a reminder not to get caught if I’m gonna go over the speed limit.

Anyway, for anyone living in the U, I thought this review might be of use to you in case you find yourself having to attend one.

·
Registered
478 Posts
We have a similar system here in the US where you can have the points removed if you take a course. For some, its definitely worth it because one of the factors that determines you insurance rates is your driving record, and the number of points you have against your license.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a similar system here in the US where you can have the points removed if you take a course. For some, its definitely worth it because one of the factors that determines you insurance rates is your driving record, and the number of points you have against your license.
Over here you stay on the database of having taken the course for 3 years. So, if you get caught speeding again during that time you will end up with points and a fine. If you get caught speeding after 3 years then you may get invited to take the course again instead of the fine/points.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Are your speed cameras run by the gov? We have speed cameras but they are run by a private company(at least the one local to me) that shares the proceeds with the respective cities, dont matter how fast you're going it doesn't count on your drivers licence. Actually its just a money maker for the city, they make it sound like they're doing it for safety reasons but if that were the case they'd have it count against your licence and then people would tend to take it seriously. You dont get a ticket until you're going 12 miles an hour over the limit so everyone (the people that live in the area and know the system)sets their cruise control to 10-11 over and nothing happens.
I've never got a speeding ticket for anything under 10 miles an hour over, and I've gotten plenty of tickets when I was young, couldn't keep a drivers licence to save my life.
The one place you dont want to speed though is a school zone, thats a place they will nail you hard.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are your speed cameras run by the gov?
The speed camera I was caught on was handled by London Metropolitan Police. If I received a fine, it would be payable to them (I think). I think the fee I paid for the course goes to them.

I've never got a speeding ticket for anything under 10 miles an hour over
I think 2 or 3 mph over the limit is ok. Any more than that and you'll get stopped or the camera will flash.

The one place you dont want to speed though is a school zone, thats a place they will nail you hard.
Not sure about elsewhere in the country, but on London the school zone is sign posted. Any sign with red boundary is mandatory notice. However, the speed limit (20mph) does not have a red boundary. So, if you go faster than 20mph it's not enforceable. But.....if you are involved in a traffic incident in that school zone (crash or knock someone over) it is treated very seriously due to the red school sign.

There are also flashing yellow lights during school run times, to let drivers/bikers know that kids are about and may run out into the road without looking.

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
In the US, the camera tickets don't count as points for the driver, technically because it's impossible to determine who the driver is.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the US, the camera tickets don't count as points for the driver, technically because it's impossible to determine who the driver is.
In the UK, you would have to provide proof that you weren't the driver. Otherwise, if the vehicle is registered to you, then you get the points/fine.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Had to do the speed awareness course last year after getting caught by a scamera van in the Yorkshire dales.
I didn't mind it to be honest, it was nowhere near as preachy as I thought it would be and if nothing else is a good chance to brush up on your knowledge of speed limits and highway code in general.
If my group was anything to go by it's no wonder a lot of motorists are either going too fast or too slow for a particular stretch of Road because when we were shown pictures and asked to write down the speed limit I don't think anybody got them all right and most people were way off.
The biggest problem in my opinion is in the UK a lot of roads don't have any posted speed limit and it's just assumed that you know whether it's an urban area or not by the presence or lack of Street lamps.
I posed the question, why not just have more speed limit signs because it was obvious from our group that people just don't follow the current system, and almost everybody admitted they often traveled down a road not knowing the actual speed limit.
It can't be cost because they put dozens of stupid meaningless signs everywhere, but yet you can travel down a single carriageway road with no Street lamps or speed limit signs wondering is this a 60 or have I passed a tiny 40 mile an hour sign 3 miles back, meanwhile somebody who's over cautious assumes it's a 30 which just creates frustration.
Rant over for today :mad:

Reactions: Cthulhu

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CafRacer, I think it depends on the part of the country. London, Hertfordshire and Bedfordshire all have really good sign posts for speed limits and general directions.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rural roadside as opposed to urban
I think I've heard of those. Saw a picture of them in a book once, but thought they were a myth

·
Premium Member
17,411 Posts
Gad, the lunacy.

The one area near me that has cameras is Arizona,. Almost got me hit by a car once; I’m not used to seeing them, so when I saw one I panic stopped. Kiiiiiind of surprised the car behind me. Safety, my tail pipe.

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
In the UK, you would have to provide proof that you weren't the driver. Otherwise, if the vehicle is registered to you, then you get the points/fine.
To clarify, we still have to pay the fine, we just don't get the points.

Reactions: urbandread

·
Registered
314 Posts
Where I live, on the northeast coast of the USA, if a road is posted at 40 the safe speed is probably 50 or more, and no experienced policeman would give you a ticket for 47 if there were no other circumstances. I'm glad we don't have speed cameras around here. There is something to be said for human judgement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts