Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all--new to the forum and new to riding. I've been enjoying reading the posts here and finally had something to ask so figured I'd throw in the ol' introductory hello as well. Hello! :D

I have a 2008 Bonneville Black which I completely and utterly adore. Like many others, I have found that, while the freeway is an exercise in excitement, it's also fatiguing and frankly a bit harrowing at 60 MPH+. I plan on using the bike through my freeway commute now that the Seattle weather is finally threatening to display the glowing orb in the sky, so am in the market for a windscreen.

Before you tell me to search forums, please know that I have already done so. I like the notion of a detachable given how damn sexy the Bonne is without the screen, and as such have had my eyes on the National Cycles Deflector Screen DX. Only thing is, it doesn't appear they have one specific for the plain black '08 Bonne, though they did have America and T100 models for '07 and prior. I called National Cycles and they were honestly not too helpful.

Long winded introduction complete. My question is, has anyone installed one of these on a '08 Bonneville Black? If this is a bust, anyone have the next best alternative?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Welcome!
I saw one mounted on a Bonnie a couple of weeks ago...
And yes they do have models for the T-100 / Bonnie / BB...
I'm sure it will mount, as they are adjustable...
I use a National Deflector off a HD Soft Tail Custom...
It's a bit narrower, doesn't follow the contour of the headlight as it fits around my speed-o...
Wind, bugs and rocks don't have eyes...
Like it a lot...

·
Registered
687 Posts
Screen

IMO there are too many variables to say one screen is better than another. Your height above the handlebars, how straight you sit, type of helmet and lastly your expectations as to its performance. I think if I was going to buy a screen I would get it through J.C. Whitney since they have a pretty lenient return policy if you aren't happy with your purchase. Parabellum, while little more expensive, seems to get the best reviews and they also have a 30 day trial period. They have a screen specific to your bike and also a fairing if you want to pop for more $$.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Spoke with 'em today

Greetings all--new to the forum and new to riding. I've been enjoying reading the posts here and finally had something to ask so figured I'd throw in the ol' introductory hello as well. Hello! :D

I have a 2008 Bonneville Black which I completely and utterly adore. Like many others, I have found that, while the freeway is an exercise in excitement, it's also fatiguing and frankly a bit harrowing at 60 MPH+. I plan on using the bike through my freeway commute now that the Seattle weather is finally threatening to display the glowing orb in the sky, so am in the market for a windscreen.

Before you tell me to search forums, please know that I have already done so. I like the notion of a detachable given how damn sexy the Bonne is without the screen, and as such have had my eyes on the National Cycles Deflector Screen DX. Only thing is, it doesn't appear they have one specific for the plain black '08 Bonne, though they did have America and T100 models for '07 and prior. I called National Cycles and they were honestly not too helpful.

Long winded introduction complete. My question is, has anyone installed one of these on a '08 Bonneville Black? If this is a bust, anyone have the next best alternative?

Thanks in advance!
I'm in search for something a bit bigger than my Dart for my x-country trip. My Dart's great for shorter jaunts around town and in the hills, but I'm looking for greater protection as I head east.

I spoke with someone at National today and was told they only support shields up to Bonnie '07s. The guy on the phone said that the '08+ have a different headlight configuration and this affects the application of their screens.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the same deflector but not the quick detach on my T100. As long as the handlebars did not change from 08 to 09 you will more than likely have no problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate the replies, all. Anchorbend, thanks for the tip on J.C. Whitney. In addition to good prices they have a half-way decent web interface, which I appreciate.

The research continues...

·
Registered
306 Posts
NC Deflector Shield

I have an 06 Bonnie with the Deflector Shield. Mine does not not have the quick detach but I think that it is still a handle bar mount and should still fit fine. I run interstate some and it does a reasonable good job of taking the wind blast off your chest. You will have to fiddle with it to get it set best for you but once you do it does make a big difference. I am 5'10" and have to tilt mine back to keep the turbulence down around my helmet. In this picture it is a little more upright than I actually ride with it.

Pops

·
Registered
866 Posts
The Deflector DX was the first thing I ordered for my T-100 when I got it home from the dealer. I am not in love with the look, but it's not bad either. I think it's a big help with the wind. I still need to fine tune the rake a bit, as the turbulence hits me right in the face. No complaints about the price or the service from National Cycle.

Attachments

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have the Deflector DX on my 05 bonnie. I have it mounted high, so that the base of the windshield lies against the middle of the tach and speedo cans. It works very well that way. I took it off once for one ride and it went right back on and stays on.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Screen-less

I have ridden since October with my Deflector screen on and took it off a couple of weeks ago to see how I like the ride without it now that I have changed to Superbars and changed my riding position. Since I am less upright now it is not as bad as with the stock bars and I like it up to about 60mph. Above that I remember why I put the screen on. Mine is not the quick connect but I can still put it on or take if off in 10 minutes or less so I will use it when I need it and leave it off when I don't. I really want to try a fly screen but have not decided between the Triumph, National Cycles, or Dart. Bellacorse has the NC for $90 and I think I might like it with the headlight visor. I have also thought about a 1/4 cafe faring at $70. :confused: May have to try one of each. :eek:

Pops

1 - 10 of 10 Posts