Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK you tech gurus out there. Take a look at the attached photo and tell me where I'm going wrong.

I sold a set of Napoleon Bar-End Mirrors to a young fellow who did not read the notice on my site that the mirrors do not fit the stock handlebars with their plugged ends. I explained to the customer why the mirrors will not fit, unless you modify the stock bars by drilling & re-tapping to match the Napoleon's bolt (5/16-24).

Long story short... the customer when out and got some aftermarket 7/8" bars. He claims they're Biltwell, but I'm doubtful. Now he's pissing & moaning about how the rubber plug & nut on the Napoleons do not fit inside his new 7/8" bars. Trying to explain things to this guy is like pulling teeth. He refuses to either listen to what I'm telling him, or just chooses not to believe me. I asked him to provide me with a picture of the open handlebar, and what I'm seeing doesn't add up.

What do you guys think?

/M (formally Retro-Racer is a previous forum life)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That is probably a 7/8'' OD. bar. The tape is not against the bar but slightly closer to the camera giving the allusion that the bar in the background is smaller than it is.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This guy is claiming the Napoleon 7/8" B/E mirrors I sold him doesn't fit his new Biltwell 7/8" bars. I asked him to photograph the end of the bars and you can see from his own photo, he has about a 14mm opening. There must be something shoved up inside his handlebars which is reducing the ID. The rough-cut to the silver tubing is very non-Biltwell like.

I think this guy is just trying to weasel a refund on the mirrors by claiming they're defective.

/M

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Ask him to measure the tubing wall thickness. The expanding mechanisms on many bar-end mirrors won't fit some of the thicker bars out there. For example my Bonnie's bars are 3mm wall thickness rather than the more common 2mm, which means the effective inside diameter is just 16mm rather than 18mm, a lot of bar-ends fit a 17.5mm hole.

There are oddities out there. The Speed Triple bars, for example, are 3mm tubing thickness but the first 20mm of the ends of the bar are counterbored so that the apparent inside dia is the normal 18mm until you reach the end of the counterbore. The inside diameter is then reduced to 16mm. Classic mirrors, like the Halcyons, won't fit unless the expanders are turned down to fit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this thread is a few months old, but wanted to confirm that the PO's 'young fellow' is correct. The Napoleon b/e mirrors will not fit into 7/8 Biltwell bars. I am dealing with this problem, now. The ID of these bars is smaller than the expansion adapter provided with the mirrors, as well as the rubber spacer that is mentioned. I'll likely weld in a threaded bung (similar to my stock bars) and use the thread-mount adapter that I have for the mirrors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts