Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike...very nice...

Well between the two of them I should think that's all your spare time and cash taken up..

I can't fault you...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Congratulations on your new bike...very nice...

Well between the two of them I should think that's all your spare time and cash taken up..

I can't fault you...
:Naughty

unfortunately, that's not the half...

I've still got my '71 C10 I'm in the middle of LS swapping (need to finish engine mounts, engine wiring, exhaust, running fuel lines for under-bed tank with EFI, rewire the rest of the truck, then start tackling the rust in the cab floor and rockers), my brother's '73 C10 that flooded in the hurricane in '17, my father-in-law's '72 Triumph TR6 that's being given to me in the next month, the Hyosung GV650 I'm in the middle of rebuilding (mostly stock parts going back together, but it had also flooded and will get some custom work on the subframe), a Hyosung GT650 that I'm going to be cutting up for some custom frame work, my son's '04 Yami PW50 that needs the oil injection pump sorted (or deleted) and hopefully not a full top end rebuild... that doesn't even start getting into the guitars I'm building... and I guess the 10 y.o., 8 y.o. and almost-2 y.o. little people that I spend time with.

I stay busy.

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
HOLY CRAP....

I'm amazed that you managed to get anything finished or even part way done with all that going on...
Love the trucks by the way...

Fair play to you though...any bloke that can fit all that in and still makes time for the little kids in my book as got to be a half decent bloke...

I got a basic ordinary guitar I had for years with an amp..I'm tone deaf and never managed to play a single note...lol...

Back to motorbikes and those switch gears I purchased have been sold someone else by mistake so I'm back to square one looking for those...
My luck just ain't that lucky at the moment...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
HOLY CRAP....
I'm amazed that you managed to get anything finished or even part way done with all that going on...
Love the trucks by the way...
Haha, well, the secret is that nothing's ever finished until I give it away.

That butcher-block guitar body I'm building is supposed to be a christmas gift for my dad. I built a bass for my wife (kit that I finished, upgraded pickups and electronics) and a left hand tele-style guitar for my brother over the last couple of years, that body in primer was a guitar I bought and decided I wanted to modify. It was really kind of a trial run for some of the body shaping I wanted to do for my dad's, I just didn't want to go through the trouble of building the laminated block body only to destroy it once I started the contouring. It'll probably be the next thing I actually finish, I just need to get an oscillating spindle sander to help speed up the process.

That '71 actually belonged to a buddy of mine in high school. I bought it from him in 2012, and then it sat in my buddy's shop for 5 years not being finished until I took it back, and it's sat for about a year at my house. I need to get it done and driving again. It sounds like a huge to-do list when I spell everything out, I just have to keep reminding myself to take it one task at a time.

The other bikes, some builds have been planned for 10 years or more, but keep falling down the list due to other things popping up (like having to completely rebuild the downstairs of my house after getting 42" of water during Hurricane Harvey). I'll get there eventually, it's mostly just picking a single project to focus on for a week or so, and making sure I put in at least a few hours a week at nights after the kids go to bed.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You seem very positive despite your bit of bother with hurricane Harvey...
All respect to you...the amount of water damage to everything must have been an absolute nightmare...

I'm bitching about the weather here in England at the moment and the constant rain getting into every nook and cranny and all the wiring and connections and everything else on my bike but you just seem to laugh it off and get on with it...

You also seem to know your stuff so that helps ...
Me, I just fumble around in the dark and learn as I go along hoping I won't cause too much damage to other parts of my bike as I attempt to repair or replace whatever particular bit I'm working on at the time....

Please keep posting with plenty of photos showing how you do stuff as I find it very useful...
I know your a busy chap so fit it in when you can mate...

All the best...

Duckadiledundee

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Me, I just fumble around in the dark and learn as I go along hoping I won't cause too much damage to other parts of my bike as I attempt to repair or replace whatever particular bit I'm working on at the time....
That's pretty much how I started. No one taught me growing up, I just always loved cars and machines in general, and as a broke college student I didn't have much choice but to teach myself, if I wanted to be able to drive. When I got my first motorcycle in '07 I'd been doing at least minor wrenching for 5-6 years and figured motorcycles couldn't be any harder than cars. That Hyosung that's blown apart currently was my first bike... bought it brand new in Sept. '07 and tore it down to the bare frame in Dec. because I wanted to know the ins-and-outs of how it went together and learned a ton from that. Just remember, you only have to do something for the first time once.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Finished up the gauge mount this weekend.

Decided to mount the gauges off the ignition switch posts, so made some tabs...

...and bent and tacked up some more 3/8" rod.

Didn't get a picture after paint, but this is after finish welding and cleaning up.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I was working on something a few weeks ago using the headlight and instruments support frame and got this far but without a welder could not progress any further..some photos I took at the time look a little similar to what you are doing...
I still ain't got around to grinding off the two bits sticking out yet....

I was also thinking about moving the ignition barrel down the right hand side of the bike..

When I got home from work this evening the rain cover had blown off my bike and my landlady had tried to put it back on for me...this as worked out nicely as she took pity on me and my bike is now in her nice warm garage drying out and she even gave me a blanket to put over the bike bless her...

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
@DEcosse...looking at different options for mounting the RS gauge and studying your post and photos...

I think I may do something similar as the huge headlight that I bought leaves me with limited choice as to what I can do...

Had you not lucked out and got that very smart and clean OEM mount for your gauge how would you have finished that off.....

Attachments

·
Registered
292 Posts
@DEcosse...what thickness steel plate did you use...I was thinking 2mm would be ok and easier to manipulate by heating it up and bending this way and that but having little experience with this I yet again bow down to your knowledge and experience...

·
Super Moderator
21,256 Posts
That is actually aluminium on mine - I think that was about 3mm. Steel can be thinner and should still remain rigid.

One thing you just have to remember is that when instruments attached to the triple clamp, they obviously rotate with the bars - probably less interference that way from the handle-bar controls which all rotate together as you turn bars - only potential interference would then be the headlight, so need to be sure it clears that as you turn lock to lock - and enough slack in the instrument wiring of course.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
So, I'm an idiot. Finally put a volt meter on my headlight wiring and sure enough, I had my high beam and ground wire switched at the socket. Fixed the wonky hi-beam indicator on the gauges as well as the super dim low beam. LED bulb is working now as well. Time to finish sorting the mounting.

·
Registered
292 Posts
@jaewastooshort....I expect I shall be doing the same sort of thing so your not on your own...Electrics and me have never got on very well...At least you managed to sort it yourself..
@DEcosse...thanks for the information I shall order a bit of steel plate and have a play....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
yeah, I thought I had it pinned correctly when comparing it to the socket diagram, but I must have managed to get it backwards. The real way I was finally able to clear it up was using some test wires with a 12v battery and applying voltage on the LED light. Once I figured out the polarity to apply there I compared it to my socket and swapped the pins.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
This bike can be the biggest PITA...

Shortly after responding to someone else's post on why their bike wasn't getting any power, I go to start mine up and everything goes dark. Assuming a dead battery (from messing with aux light wiring) I throw it on the battery tender and next morning still nothing.

Got around to messing with it last night and I have done myself no favors, as far as accessing fuses, relays, and wiring, in doing the naked conversion.

Stripped everything down to gain access and started probing with the multimeter checking for proper continuity in the kill switch wiring, ignition switch wiring, and fuses. Did a visual check of the main relay internals to make sure there weren't any burned/damaged contacts causing the issue. Started reconnecting stuff to check voltage along the main paths and everything was working again. Best guess is that either ignition or kill switch was loose at the connection to the main harness.

Think it's about time to unloom the harness and run the wiring properly, shortening/lengthening wires as necessary.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The good thing is it started so that's got to be a positive thing...

I finally got my RS switch gear and all connectors went together nicely...
What I hadn't counted on was that the Rs switch gear doesn't incorporate a throttle cable housing so I have just ordered a pair of handle grips which hopefully will allow me to connect up the throttle cable...

Still far too much going on with the rats nest of wires and connectors at the forks for my peace of mind so I'm still contemplating stripping down lengthening and shortening myself...
Difference is you know what your doing ( I think..lol )..

I got a week off work and hopefully will get a lot done to my bike...
I got a fork seal kit and hope to do that tomorrow...never done anything other than straighten out my forks after my bump...
Your the man with vast fork experience...do I need any special kit before I start bearing in mind I've only got very basic kit.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Still far too much going on with the rats nest of wires and connectors at the forks for my peace of mind so I'm still contemplating stripping down lengthening and shortening myself...
Difference is you know what your doing ( I think..lol )..
The wires are colour coded for people like us. Cut, solder, heat-shrink, repeat. Just take it slowly.

·
Registered
292 Posts
@DaveGPz.... I know roughly what I'm doing and will need to get an assortment of different coloured wires from somewhere..I don't know if I should move the connectors further back and hide them around the air filter or if I should just do away with them completely...

However before I start that job I shall be attempting to strip down the forks and replace the inner workings of those tomorrow...

If all goes smoothly with that then I will attempt to replace chain and sprocket as mine as been damaged in my crash and now clunks around...

Then headlight and front indicators and sort the wiring...

It doesn't sound like much but to a novice like me it's a big deal....
Hope to achieve all this in one week and with occasional bit of help and advice from you guys...

41 - 60 of 69 Posts