Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
permission to post admin:

i hope this is the right place to post my project bike. im hoping for some suggestions and tips along the way, comments on what i did wrong is also very much welcome.

ive done other bikes before, but this is must first triumph. im an amateur who just loves bikes and i hope to learn from you guys.

here it is all stock

removed the side bags
http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums...7992226_5012440115533572132_n_zpskob1kgq7.jpg

removed some of the fairings

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
test with stock seats

opening it up

headache with all the wires and electricals sticking out

look into my eyes...

headlight fitting/test

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Although I hope I'm mistaken, it looks like the pannier hardware (rails, especially) were destroyed in the removal process.

SRAM, if you can, download the hardware instructions for the panniers, and get all the parts together (and there are a lot of them!). You'll be able to sell the kit with no trouble. They are not easily located.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Wow. That was a nice bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Although I hope I'm mistaken, it looks like the pannier hardware (rails, especially) were destroyed in the removal process.

SRAM, if you can, download the hardware instructions for the panniers, and get all the parts together (and there are a lot of them!). You'll be able to sell the kit with no trouble. They are not easily located.
We did preserve the panniers, top box mount and the rails. We also preserved the fairings. It has some scratches but is otherwise intact. Ill try to get some pics after the project. And i do plan to sell all external parts. Problem is my location is in the philippines so i dont know how much the shipping charges would be.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can i change to a 190 rear from the current 180? Any pros and cons?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Shipping will probably be prohibitively expensive. But, if someone has a 955 Sprint or Tiger and wants the bags, they might be interested. Again, the hardware for the bags includes many parts, not all of which look like they belong.

So, if you think you'll want to offer the bags and hardware kit for sale, make sure you have all the bits. As I mentioned above, the instruction booklet is in the maintenance blog, IIRC. Note: the installation takes three hours or more, and involves taking the whole rear end off the bike.

EDIT: Found the instructions. First page shows the parts involved. http://www.triumphnet.com/st/faq/luggage/index.html

Using a 190 rear doesn't help handling. All it will do is make your butt look smaller.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Ok, folks, please keep in mind that any buying or selling of parts should take place in the classifieds forum or via PM, not here.

Thanks,
-Kit

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nice foundation for the conversion! You likely know this already, but the rear subframe has the relay attachment points for the Sprint RS, which has them mounted there from the factory. When I converted my '00 (which I since low-sided badly) I lengthened the wires for each relay and mounted them there. It cleans up the front end wiring considerably. Here's an old thread from my former bike. (A few parts still live on in my '07 Sprint!)

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/95190-st-fighter-or-universal-british-motorcycle.html

·
Registered
403 Posts
SRAM PM sent

SRAM sorry I PM'd you and called you SCRAM I'm old and should use my glasses more. Anyway, I did PM you and wish you good luck on your project

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice foundation for the conversion! You likely know this already, but the rear subframe has the relay attachment points for the Sprint RS, which has them mounted there from the factory. When I converted my '00 (which I since low-sided badly) I lengthened the wires for each relay and mounted them there. It cleans up the front end wiring considerably. Here's an old thread from my former bike. (A few parts still live on in my '07 Sprint!)

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/95190-st-fighter-or-universal-british-motorcycle.html
wow. where did you hide all those wires and fuses? i love the neat look of your bike. im trying to fit all the fuses inside the tank

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks. It was a very enjoyable process to customize/ rebuild the bike. There are a few more photos to give you ideas in the USD Thread ( http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-fo...sd-fork-conversion-for-sprints-thread-11.html). See post #323. As I mentioned, I lengthened the relay wiring and mounted them under the rear tail, at the location used by the Sprint RS: right side, outboard of the subframe, behind the fairing plastic. The rest I tucked under the headlight. I don't recall any room under the tank around the airbox, but I suppose there might be a bit of space there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
i still havent found a replacemnt for the gauges and warning signs so ill try to preserve all the original indicators.

fabricating the speedometer and rpm gauge

preview with the headlights

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
any idea where we can relocate the coolant reservoir? any suggestion on what to do, where to place it or replace it witha different container? im open to your opinions and advice

pic is for reference only, this was before the cutting modifications

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
update.... tentative seat setup

im still open to suggestions on what to do with the coolant reservoir

·
Registered
68 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts