Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All - if you can solve this I'll be eternally grateful.

On cold mornings I get up and start up my 2007 triumph bonneville. It lives outside. I let it warm for a minute and then head off. Once I hit roughly 30 mph it starts up a high pitched, very shrill noise that's pretty loud and embarrassing. It's not related to the brake (i've put on both front and back independently and no change), it's not realted to throttle (I put on more and it gets louder, but take it off completely and it's still there); not related to gears (I change and no difference). Once I hit 30 it doesn't go away until I come back down to 5 mph, then it goes away and won't come back again until I get back up to about 30. If I go higher than 30 it stays with me the whole way until the bike is properly warm, then it just stops.

What is the deal with this? There's enough engine oil, the brakes aren't that new but they're good, I've kept up on all regular engine checks and this sound has persisted.

If anyone can figure this out, they're a triumph genius. Sam

·
30,517 Posts
Speedo cable maybe? You might need to take that off and lube it. Several folks have reported squeeky speedo cables. I think you can pull the inner cable out of the sleeve, coat it with some nice thin grease and slide it back in, put it back on the bike and give it a try.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yup it is the speedo cable, just removed, cleaned, and used white lithium grease on mine. Have riden in to work in -5C plus the wind chill with no noise now. Mine was VERY loud before, below +5C!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Same with mine. it used to start on cold mornings(35F and below) at about 40 mph. Finally pulled it, lubed it and reinstalled. No more of that going on anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts