Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all , can some one please help identify this frame ? Has # 17942 . I read rigid Triumph frames were made before 1954 . Only numbers close are 1952 , but , mine has no NA after the numbers . Cant find anything close in the 1940's numbers . I got it with a 1958 T110 engine in it . Thank you .

Attachments

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
branhoo welcome

Do I claim to know what you have there Nope! Do I have a few thoughts Yup! My suggestion is the reason you are having problems with the 17942 number is because it was stamped on the frame sometime after it left the Factory. From what I can tell two machines could have a VIN 17942 (or close to it). One would have been a 1956 T15/20 model. One of those did have that VIN. The other would be a 1958 Twin however that should have 017942. The fact you state the frame had a '58 T110 engine would indicate a possibility some one at some time was attempting to 'sanitize' the paperwork by having all number from one production year used.

As to the frame it looks to be Post WWII (1946-1954) I sincerely doubt it is pre 1939. Do I know all the subtle differences tween 46 & 54 Nope! I do note a few interesting bits in the pictures. I believe there is a boss missing of the top of the front frame section in the area where the front attaches to the rear. The steering head has an 'interesting' extension at its base. Perhaps a steering stop? Then there is a little mounting plate attached to the front down tube in the area where the steering head boss attaches. This is directly below where the tank mounting plate goes and I would think it would foul same. Based on that I am thing maybe a TR5 frame as they didn't use the bolt on bracket(s)

Also just wondering do you see any numbers under the paint on any of the cast parts?

Just my wandering thoughts

K

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi KADUTZ , thank you for the info and input . The steering stop or fork stop does look like a amateur add on , has bad bondo work . Probably added on when they raked the neck . Maybe the little plate you mentioned was a add on . If you go to my album there is pics of a pre unit 500 tank that wouldn't work on this frame . The tank has to sit dead on the frame for the tanks front mounting studs to reach the little plate and is way to short to bolt up in the rear . Or maybe the plate is stock and a 650 tank fits right , did 650 tanks have that type of mounting ? Or did 650 tanks use the bolt on brackets you mentioned , frame also has that option . What iam getting at is a Tr5 a 500cc ? My 500 tank wont bolt up . Any way , I found what looks like a F and 1910 stamped on the gusset behind the steering head , also has MB to the right of that , the M merges into the B like some kind of insignia . The tail section were it bolts up at the front bottom has F? 1620 rt side and F? 1619 left side ( pics in album ) . I liked your theory on sanitizing but it makes me wonder how someone could be capable of such a good grinding job , leaving no irregularities or indication of that and be so stupid and forget a number or put a meaningless number back on . Instead of foul play I like to think it was foul mood . Some one drank to much Bass ale The night before and did a half ass job that day , or may be it was some little wanker learning how to stamp frames ! thanks again and I appreciate your trying to help .

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
branhoo
If my response appears choppy it is cause I am off line using non terminal to respond and I will be answering to you from memory. Any plastic filler in you frame is not stock and placed there by someone in the past who was making it 'better'. I thought the steering head angle looked a bit severe.
When looking at this remember the procedure of 'impprovement' could have been done as far back as the early 1960's. With that in mind information that is available now might not have been easily available then.
Back to your frame the numbers you stated F 1619/F1620 would be the numbers assigned to the sub parts used to make the frame section. When you take these two parts a few other bits some rails weld all together you will have a frame section part #F1795 (number shown is strictly an example Not a good number.) The same occurs with the front section and the number stated would be in line for a frame of this vintage. I believe the two letters stated (MB?) Is the foundry stamp of the manufacturer.
From one statement you made it appears you are not totally familiar with the Triumph Way. Pre-Unit 500/650 Triumphs shared many parts including the frame. The front factory bracket used to mount the gas tank on your frame was I believe something like a part number F1811.
I will be back in a few days and try to review this again

K

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi to all , can some one please help identify this frame ? Has # 17942 . I read rigid Triumph frames were made before 1954 . Only numbers close are 1952 , but , mine has no NA after the numbers . Cant find anything close in the 1940's numbers . I got it with a 1958 T110 engine in it . Thank you .
Frame is a 1948 Triumph frame - probably a Speed Twin but possibly a T100. You will see a TF to the North East of the number (the 10 o'clock position). TF 17942 is early 1948. I have a frame which is about 500 numbers lower which was manufactured in December 1947 - although a 1948 model. I can't see your rear frame from the picture detail, but the early 1948 rear frames still were to 1947 pattern, so are different to the later 1948 pattern. The rear mudguards, number plate etc is different. The earlier one's had lifting handles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts