Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first time posting but I've come here over the years to poke around. I have a total mystery with my newish to me 2013 speed triple. It has about 3k miles on it, and has been good to me in the last 500 miles.

About a week ago I headed out to fill up the tank and at the gas station, after filling up, I started up and then put into first while the kickstand is down (dumb, but it was the end of a long day). So the kickstand kill switch shuts off the bike, no big deal, but I try again (kickstand up, in neutral, clutch in) and it won't start. Lights come on, needles do the spin, but no juice. Starter not engaged. So I'm trying over and over, and noticing sometimes the rpm and speedo needles, when they do their calibration spin, dont come back to zero but stop at random places.

I end up getting a tow home and I trickle charge overnight. Charger is showing green then red intermittently almost like a loose connection. Still no luck after a night of charging. Then I try to jump it, and it doesnt want to but at least the starter is engaging. Lights all on too when jumping cables attached. I get it started this way but it's running rough so I shut it off. Before I do I notice the needles jumping wildly all over the place. I've left it since then, taking another bike to work.

What the heck is going on? Figured I'd ask here before taking it to the shop.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Only time I have seen the needles jumping around and stopping in weird places was in the midst of a stator failure on an 05 S3. Stator failures on 08 and later models are not common, but I would check out the stator before moving on to other things. Do a search....I'm sure the procedure for testing can be found on this site.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Sound advice. Pull the connector from the stator off the mating half going to the Regulator. Set your meter to Ohms and check for continuity between one of the three pins or all of them to battery ground. You're testing the stator end of the connector. There should be no continuity to ground, an open circuit or infinite resistance. Your battery may also need a looksy as well. Might have been undercharged for some time if that's the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: sounds silly but it was all due to a faulty battery. Put in a lithium new one and she fired right up. Never seen such odd behavior on a low battery though. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
You should still check the output of the charging system to your new battery to make sure all is well. Don't want to ruin another battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts