Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

mysterious stalling!!

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  lsr490 
#1 · (Edited)
hey everyone i have a 98 t595 i have a misterious stalling problem it will stall at idle about after 5-10 mins of idleing or soo and when im riding sometimes it will just trigger a ck engine like for a sec with a small fuel cut and goes away.and other times it will jus stall completly and turn key off then on and it starts right up... any ideas?? maybe earth block,bad wire somewhere on wireing harness bike only has 3k on it! any ideas will be much apreciated thanks
p.s. an also once in a while the tach shuts off and i turn the bike off and
start it up again and the tach works so im thinking this hole thing is probible an electrical problem

#2 · (Edited)
hey everyone i have a 98 t595 i have a misterious stalling problem it will stall at idle about after 5-10 mins of idleing or soo and when im riding sometimes it will just trigger a ck engine like for a sec with a small fuel cut and goes away.and other times it will jus stall completly and turn key off then on and it starts right up... any ideas?? maybe earth block,bad wire somewhere on wireing harness bike only has 3k on it! any ideas will be much apreciated thanks
some sort of sensor. but it could be many things. I would have that check engine light checked out. Its OBD II so any OBDII scanner can be plugged in to read the code and clear it. I bought mine on eBay for $60. I bought mine for my SAAB. Havent had to use it on the t595 yet.
Also states other than California you can take to Autozone and they will read it for free.

#3 ·
Earth (or ground) block definitely a good place to start regardless of miles on that model! Has it been replaced on your bike?
What colour is it & does it have two wires on the battery -ve terminal?
If it hasn't beeen replaced to latest config then do it before you consider anything else.
Stalling at idle can be caused by the CO level not being set correctly - but in this case maybe not the primary cause (although worth having checked after your primary fail is resolved)

Does it ialways idle at correct speed (when not stalling) or does it run higher/ varying rpm on occasions?

#5 ·
....What colour is it & does it have two wires on the battery -ve terminal? ...
.... it is blue with NO wires goin to the battery ....
When I said two wires on the battery -ve, that is two total including the main one; the latest revision should have one extra wire which comes from the ground block.
Incidentally the original version was white, second was blue but without the auxiliary ground wire to the battery.

This is what the latest edition looks like:

#4 ·
i dont think it has been replaced it is blue with NO wires goin to the battery ill be sure to go to the dealer an order one!!thanks guys on the reply's ... i actualy have all the plastics off gas tanks air box etc. anything else i shoud test while im at iti just ballanced the throttle bodys too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.