Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike has less than 10000 km on the clock and has never been loved. Been stored indoors for the past decade, but just thrown into a corner with the old juices left inside.

Today, I changed the dark brow (front brake), tan (rear brake) and pasta (clutch) fluids, flushing a lot through them all and cleaned the reservoirs.

That's when I discovered an old leak that I wonder if could be the clutch slave cylinder? Paint doesn't seem affected, but the rubber grommet going into the alternator and the wire protection tube leading out from it looks and feels slimy, almost, quite soft. The paint and aluminium appears undamaged.

Other possibilities are engine oil, engine coolant and chain lube - if not melted electrics/rubber???

Anybody seen something similar or have an idea what it could be?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should also mention that the stuff is dry now and doesn't wipe off, the only thing remotely moist to touch is the rubber grommet in the alternator and the area immediately around.

Actually, it looks more like dried gasket cement than anything else.

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
I can think of 2 possibilities.

The Alternator drive runs in oil, it has an o ring that has been very hard for me to install without damaging the o-ring. If you decide to remove the alternator to check that out, make sure you have 2 or 3 of those o-rings in hand.

The breather tube runs near there, so it could also be coming from there if that hose has a crack in it.

EDIT:

Another possibility, there is an oil seal around the clutch pushrod.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the hints :)

I may have to wait until it actually runs before I start looking for droplets.

One suggestion I had was that a dripping/overflowing carb could have dissolved the rubber grommet, making the mess?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Petcock appears to be tight, but could of course be leaking from time to time - I once had a Honda that would randomly spill fuel from the petcock.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
could have been from gas, could also be from oil leaking from the airbox seam at one point (if it had a build up and hadnt been drained)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, but I'm going to clean the area and ride it for a while first, so that I can try to spot where the leak comes from. Won't be for several weeks, though, as I'm soon to leave for my vacation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts