Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was wondering if someone here can help me. I own a 2004 Daytona 955i. Just this morning, as I was riding to work, whenever I would change down a gear and let the clutch out, the engine would cut off mysteriously. For example I would be slowing down as I approach the traffic lights, so I would normally change down a gear and come to a stop. However, this time round, the engine would cut off when I let the clutch out, causing me to coast to a stop. I have no problems restarting it again but the same thing would happen when I approach the next set of lights or whenever I'm slowing down. It sometimes happen when I pull the clutch in as well to change the gears. This would happen around 3 out of 5 times I pull the clutch in. In the end, I had to turn around and head back home as I felt it would be too dangerous to continue my journey. Anyone have any ideas on why this is happening? Could it be the recent rains? Maybe moisture has gotten in somewhere? Many thanks in advance for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
First suspicions

Hi,

my first port of call would to be to take a look at the wiring that goes to the clutch lever. There is a safety switch in there that interacts with the gear and sidestand when starting up.

Sounds like this may be breaking down.

Rexx

·
Registered
223 Posts
It is likely the sidestand switch being fouled with grease and grit. Get down there and wipe and clean until the plunger moves smoothly and easily.

Please post back with your results!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello guys,

I tried using the bike again today and guess what....it's back to normal! And I didn't do a single thing....no washing, no cleaning, no fiddling or adjustment....everything was as it was previously. Clutch in, downshift a gear, let clutch out, engine break, and the bike was still running. How very strange. I'm guessing that whatever moisture that has got in somewhere has probably dried out....and it wasn't raining today.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Great news, maybe a bad batch of gas, eh? Speaking of moisture though, sometimes the kill switch can get some in it. Might be worth taking it apart to dry it out?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Hello guys,

I tried using the bike again today and guess what....it's back to normal! And I didn't do a single thing....no washing, no cleaning, no fiddling or adjustment....everything was as it was previously. Clutch in, downshift a gear, let clutch out, engine break, and the bike was still running. How very strange. I'm guessing that whatever moisture that has got in somewhere has probably dried out....and it wasn't raining today.
Crazy thing mine did exacly the same thing last saturday, I had to run up tp boston and on the way home it cut out every time I used the clutch, it was raining and cold, I assumed it was something to do with the cold running/choke system, was going to check her out on sunday, started her up and she ran just like new.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
raptor001, My '04 did this a couple of years ago. A member with a Tiger said his does it every now and then and switching off and restarting fixes the problem.

Brad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts