Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least when it comes to catching on fire.She knows I deal with fire and explosions and leaking natural gas every day.She`s cool with that cuz I get paid.But working on Bonnie mods doesn`t fly AT ALL. During the course of making all those pipe sets over the last few weeks,I managed to burn some bigass holes in 2 Carhartt sweatshirts and a work coat.I find this humorous on many levels but she just glares.So today she was happy to see me get on the bike and go for a ride,pipes completed.When I built this pipe I had a Sportster solo seat mounted.A-OK.Today I tried out the new Corbin.

A totally different seating position.Well,about 10 miles into my ride,at 70 on I-5,I get a warm sensation and a familiar smell wafts up from the glowing embers that were my pants and the charcoal remains of my riding boots.

Synthetic boots have a way lower flash point than the Carhartt pants that were covering them and burned them from the inside out.Needless to say,no smiles on her face.This little snafu is gonna cost me a bedroom set to smooth it over. :(

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
That's a sweet ride. I think that the Corbin looks even nicer than the Sporty seat. So, what are you going to do about heat shields?

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff,that wrap does what they say it will.When it was bare pipe,the temp was down to 250F at the sidecover,wrapped,its still over 400.I`m going to get some perfed steel or aluminum today,bend it,make some stand offs using sheetmetal screws and secure it with a couple small springs that came with the Harley pipe shields.I don`t think I want to change pipe configuration for a while.This one has more bottom and mid range than anything I put on it before. :-D If I had worn my regular leather work boots,everything would have been fine,but they were wet from work last week.I`ll never get a pair of synthetic topped boots again,Alpinestar or otherwise. :mad:

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
the pipe looks sweet, glad to hear it performs well. with the 2-1 and a nice collector like you make I can see how you got the low and mid range gains.

I like the pipe, reminds me of a potato gun I made in high school, especially the way it's aimed out the back.

"Thoomp!"

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I like the Corbin seat. In fact, the bike looks great with that configuration. Reminds me of the Black that MotoTwin did just before they disappeared. Clubman bars, of course, would make it. :-D
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>(I hate it when I have to edit my spelling. Normally I'd leave it alone, but I worried that "configuarion" might leave readers perplexed. :( )

[ This message was edited by: Mancha on 2007-01-22 09:54 ]

·
Registered
80 Posts
On 2007-01-22 07:26, rodburner wrote:
Jeff,that wrap does what they say it will.When it was bare pipe,the temp was down to 250F at the sidecover,wrapped,its still over 400.I`m going to get some perfed steel or aluminum today,bend it,make some stand offs using sheetmetal screws and secure it with a couple small springs that came with the Harley pipe shields.I don`t think I want to change pipe configuration for a while.This one has more bottom and mid range than anything I put on it before. :-D If I had worn my regular leather work boots,everything would have been fine,but they were wet from work last week.I`ll never get a pair of synthetic topped boots again,Alpinestar or otherwise. :mad:
Hey Rod,
I just got finished with my high pipe exhaust and had it ceramic coated.
It actually runs alot cooler than I thought. I can actaully touch the header and exhaust (for like 1/2 a second...). Have you thought of getting it coated?
My heat shield should be here soon too.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mase,I didn`t get a pic to come up on my screen.Really would like to see your creation.I didn`t consider coating or plating mine,but its always an option. If this set-up continues to perform like it does,I might make a copy from the stainless bends that MagnumForce sells,and polish the Wii out of them.[can you tell I like my new Wii ?] :-D Steve

·
Registered
80 Posts
On 2007-01-23 21:47, rodburner wrote:
Mase,I didn`t get a pic to come up on my screen.Really would like to see your creation.I didn`t consider coating or plating mine,but its always an option. If this set-up continues to perform like it does,I might make a copy from the stainless bends that MagnumForce sells,and polish the Wii out of them.[can you tell I like my new Wii ?] :-D Steve
Hey Steve,
No pIc? Hmmm... It's coming up on my screen OK and I think Sweat can see it...
weird.
anyways, yeah, the coating was a bit expensive but I love the finish and i think it's def doing it's job.

Check out my other thread
HERE where I updated with some pics...

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK,got them now,right click "view image".The high side looks good.Did you just remove the side cover to keep the pipe tucked in tight? Will you make a matching pipe for the other side or leave it low for that cool RIII staggered look?

·
Registered
80 Posts
thanks! I've decided to run no covers now to show off the filters and add to lightweight race look (actually, I wish I could just run velocity stacks instead). I'm considering ordering the scrambler side cover in case I want to change it up...

No matching high pipe for the left side as I was going for the staggard look. the left side is actually all new too without the kink between the silencer and the header.

It'll all come together when my polished tank, 1/2 fairing and seat cowl gets here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts