Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New:

Engine
Rear wheel bearings
Rad fan
Exhaust link pipe
Stripped / cleaned rear + front calipers
Chain / Sprockets
Front Wheel Bearings
Steering head bearings
Air filter
Oil
Oil Filter
Fork Oil
Brake fluid
Coolant
New gear linkage rose joint

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bit like the best axe I ever had : 6 new handles , 2 new heads - best axe I ever had
aahahha i love that quote!

I've never been emotionally attached to a bike before and i've had many.. I think the only bike that came close was my 1998 zx6r which was my first bike.. I want to see 100k on the clock :) I could of repaired the existing engine, but 2nd gear was getting very notchy and would of meant it was off the road for longer whilst I was fixing the bent valves caused by the camchain tensioner failing.

It deserved a very good service, and in the UK with a 4 day bank holiday it was the best time to do it at a leisurely pace, taking time to do everything properly.. I'm just waiting for my samco coolant hoses to arrive next week and I can give it a proper outing and hope nothing falls off :)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Ok I have to ask - how did the bike into that state to require all that work?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
erm I rode it ;)

120 miles a day 4 days a week all weathers.. some of us aren't lucky enough to have sunshine all year round! Think it looks pretty good for 50k...

Rear wheel bearings still felt ok, but I wanted to change them as I had to take everything apart to do the chain and sprockets. Then seeing as the engine was out it made sense to do everything else...

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Did you drop the engine just to give it a good clean?

How did the fan get like that?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I dropped the engine as the camchain tensioner failed, the inlet cam jumped a couple of teeth and bent some of the inlet valves. It's going to be rebuilt, but I got offered a triple engine with 12k on the clock so that got put in whilst i rebuild the old lump..

No idea how the fan got broken.. must of got something stuck in the blades at somepoint, seemed to work ok, but replaced it as i had everything apart..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
6 years, 50,000 miles and 5 uk winters.. seems about right!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Oh UK winters...

Yeah I know how hard that can be on bike and rifer, if you ride all year round.

I have never heard of a cam chain tensioner failing on one of these engines.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no i never heard of one either.. it seems the same type as i'm used to in other engines.. i guess it's just one of those things.. I was VERY lucky in sourcing a low mileage engine to replace it with.. Ended up costing less than when my sprag clutch went for the entire engine! The way I see it is that i've got a load of spares now!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I'd be curious to know of any performance differences, if any, with the Speedie engine in there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts