Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following in BMW's steps, I went down on the M1 today & knocked some lumps out of my Sprint ... it won't be cheap to fix.

I'm ok though.

Irony of the day - I didn't want to ride today but had bike booked in for the latest Sprint recall. I was on the way back home when it happened.

If not for the recall I would have been nice and cosy at home instead of sliding down a foggy motorway - but I don't think Triumph are going to accept responsibility for this one !!

·
Registered
509 Posts
ah cr*p, sorry to hear that. Details details...?? the good thing about being able to walk away is taking a valuable lesson with you. good thing about forums is sharing those lessons to prevent others learning the hard way. What happened?

I took a long ride today from london down to dorset, It knocked the cr*p out of me, that fog was so dense and absolutely freezing!

glad to hear your ok

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Treehugger

I posted the full details on the Sprint board, but here it is again:

On 2006-12-21 16:14, spiki-spikester wrote:
Well it happened - I went down on the motorway on my nice new Sunset Red Sprint.

It was heavy fog all day today. Condensation in the visor, despite the Shoei pinlock, heavy misting on the outside of the visor, slippery road, heavy traffic & speed restrictions, weather warnings everywhere - and roadworks. Where the M1 is having road widening (Junction 10 - Luton) the road splits into a contraflow. I was changing lane and slightly misjudged, clipped a traffic cone that marked the entry to the split lanes. That caused a wobble but I held upright - but not so upright that I could do anything about the car that clipped me coming past - down I went & into the cones at about 30 / 40 mph. At least they meant I wasn't in the path of the traffic...

The car that caught me didn't stop, but the guy behind did & helped me get the bike up again.

At least I am ok - just a bit of bruising under my arm and a small bruise on the hip where I hit the deck & slid into traffic cones. Boy, am I pleased I invested in proper gear. My new all weather suit did the job brilliantly

The irony is that I was on my way back home from having the drag lnk bolt done under the latest recall - otherwise I wouldn't have gone out today... I did a long trip yesterday in fog and wasn't in the mood for it again - but I was booked in, so I went !! I usually have a rule of thumb not to ride if I don't feel right, as that is when I find small mistakes happen. Should have listened to myself more today !

Thankfully, I wasn't too far from the dealer, who got the bike patched up and rideable again for me. But it is going to cost a lot to replace the top fairing (now missing a big chunk), the lower fairing and whatever else they spotted - all on my insurance. But that why we pay for it I suppose.

All the mechanical bits are ok, as are the forks and frame (apart froma small scuff). The crash bung is bust though - more money well spent ! Heaven knows how much worse the damage would have been without it.

I have to take responsibility for this one, as I miscalculated. Even though it was a minor miscalculation, I could have been more aware of some of the surrounding traffic. I'd like to think that on most other days I would have been.

At the moment I 'm just pleased to be here, with my new baby daughter screaming her head off !!

Keep it shiny side up & have a good holiday everyone.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Not good :( but at least your gear saved you from harm and the bungs saved your bike from even more damage

·
Registered
509 Posts
im glad i wasnt the only one having prob with my visor. I was constantly having to wipe the outside as the mist wasnt droplet enough and I couldnt see anything. and like you say with the pinlock thats all fine and good but almost a total waste of time considering i wear glasses when i ride... d*mn I was thinking why isnt there a little tube device that runs out your helmet that you can put in your mouth and breathe through, would solve the prob... anyway, there was a million and one things to look out for today, perhaps thats why I found it so kn*ckering. I was thinking on the ride down here, "what if i had a sprint" heated grips... a fairing... more cc's...

how did he clip you? contact with bike or you? was it a brush past that just put you off?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On Wednesday we did a 250 mile trip to the coast and back - mostly in fog. The Sprint was fine (no heated grips though ) and the fairing was a big help, but the conditions were completely knackering. I went with 2 others and we were wiping our visors every minute or two.

As for today's incident, there was definitely contact - not heavy but enough. It all happened quickly so I can't be sure, but he was on my inside & I think my front wheel or fairing made contact while I was off balance. Until then I thought i had done enough to stay upright. As soon as I felt the contact I knew I was going down...and then I was.

I see you have a speed four - when i was back at the dealer getting patched up I did start to think of trading in for one of the nice sp4's they had - fewer cc's !

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry to hear about your off, main thing is you're ok, and when you sit down and think about it you were really lucky that you weren't collected by someone else. I'm like you if I don't feel like the ride or something doesn't "feel" right the bike stays in the garage no matter if its ideal riding weather. Hope you get your bike fixed up soon mate.

ATB

Phil
-----------------------------------
Sorry Mate I Didn't See You
-----------------------------------

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks everyone. I got myself checked out & there is definitely no harm done. I'll just be stiff from bruising for another week or so, so I'll be recovered just in time to go back to work ...

Have stuck a couple of pics up in the Sprint forum for anyone who likes looking at duffed up bikes - the crash bungs are well worth the money. And Rukka suits will get my vote every time from now on.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Glad to hear your OK mate and yea crash bungs and stuff really work, I always used to think I was tempting fate fitting them but they have saved me lots over the years, the S4 is an exellent bike but its no ST, if you use an ST for comuting and stuff you would miss it just get yourself a S4 for fun and some really great riding thrills.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It's bl00dy slippy out there! Went to Kingston on the bike on Saturday and was 'having fun' on the way home until I felt the front end start to give on a roundabout and the bike tip in sharpish :eek:
Jammed my right boot down on the tarmac and everything composed itself again (more luck than judgement I suspect :clown: )

Finished the ride home at a more sedate pace and kept repeating to myself not to ride like a tw4t.

Winter riding on slimy roads really does make you yearn for spring :tasty: trouble is I just can't bear to stop riding in the winter :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sorry to hear of the spill and the callous behaviour of the driver who clipped your bike.
It is greasy out there-I nearly lost it coming out of a turn-opened the throttlle too much and lost the back end. Wrestled a lot with the front end and away I went.
Note to self-the roads are slippery and your tyres are cold. It's wintertime.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hey, you're alive. Motorway/biker off bike, baaad combination.

I know it's sh1t consolation. Like my Aunt always says whenever I'm really pissed off about something that really means a huge amount to me.. "Ah well, at least you've got your health."

Yeah, thanks Aunt. Stupid cow.

Ahh.. not really! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Warren, not been on site for a while so have only just seen your post about your spill. Really s****y news! Glad you got away with only a few bruises, again a demonstration of why we should all wear the proper gear.
Living in Luton, I know those roadworks very well now, not a pleasant place for a bike. Maybe meet up at the Ace sometime, compare notes etc.

Keep it shiny side up!

Nick

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks Nick - I'd been debating whether to get a better (i.e. expensive) winter kit for a while. Glad I did, although it would have been better not to have broken it in so soon.

Would love to meet up - the Ace isn't far from me. Send me a PM and we can get something organised.

W

1 - 17 of 17 Posts