Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
I suffered from this when leading a friend on a 200 mile cross country journey navigating entirely from memory. I slowed right down on approach to a roundabout, checked that it was clear then hesitated while I worked out which exit was needed. Unfortunately he slowed right down, checked that it was clear then failed to hesitate:(

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just speculating here....but you were waiting at a T junction right? Did you by any chance move forward, then stop?
Hey Mike. To be perfectly honest here, I may well have edged forwards. It WAS a t-junction, and I was waiting for a gap in traffic. I honestly don't know if I edged forwards at all, but even if I did, she should have waited till SHE could see it was clear before she went. :)

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Yeah, absolutely she was at fault! Tricky situation tho', not sure how we can help ourselves avoid it, just throwing it out there for discussion.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I honestly don't know if I edged forwards at all, but even if I did, she should have waited till SHE could see it was clear before she went. :)
It is always the responsibility of the driver/rider behind to check that the way is clear in front of them before moving off. No fault of yours at all.

That said, it is easy to make this mistake. You watch the flow of traffic and it's blindingly obvious that you should both go, but unfortunately it isn't blindingly obvious to the person in front. You read the movements of distant traffic, you look everywhere but in front of you and - bam. If I ever rear-end anyone, this is how I will do it. I've had a few close ones already over the years, both car and bike.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Glad that you're OK Demon, Gouge her for what it is worth,

I can see a bent rim from here in Oz. :D

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yup, and I think my Ohlin suspension is scratched, and my fcr35's have somehow turned back into normal carbs...

21 - 27 of 27 Posts