Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a driving license for 45 years. I got my first (ever!) speeding ticket last Sunday, 63 in a 45 zone (101 in a 70 zone for you metric folks) on Shaza, my Trophy. I'll have to admit that I was really enjoying the ride through the Arizona mountains before that DPS officer stopped me! $278.00 for the ticket, but since it was my first I get to do driving school for $178.00 and have the ticket dismissed.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Driving school for someone, ahem, our age. That's definetly adding insult to injury. Probably administrated by a 22yr old who drives a Carivan.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
You just have to find the right driving school. My last class was administered by a 30-something hottie who has a 675 track bike. :D

Umm, congrats on the performance award, Bill? If you're gonna do it again, the radar detector from Adaptiv pretty much pays for itself. ;)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I'll second that, Kit, the Adaptiv TPX with the optional remote ear piece is the only way to go.

Has saved the "village idiot's" bacon a few times: Jim

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Speaking of... I just bought a set of rechargeable 2450 batteries for the ear piece on eBay. I'll post up on 'em after the one in there now dies.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I don't get many tickets; but the last one was on my Trophy. 'Estimated' 65 in a 55. I was actually doing about 90; but the CHP was stuck two lanes over in commute traffic and never did get a clock on me. :D

:cool:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a real moneymaker for the local Justice Court. The two bikes stopped before me were impounded - he didn't tell me why - and the bike he clocked while he was writing me up was at 76. I'm signed up for on-line class through the Improv. Yep, the comedy club has a driving school approved by the Arizona Supreme Court!

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I went through the comedy traffic school twice. Wasn't funny either time. After traffic school in CAL we have to stay ticket free for 18 months, or the ticket gets reported to insurance company, and it is all for naught. Six more months to go ... :(

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I also did the comedy traffic school for that ticket mentioned above. That was seven years ago, and I haven't gotten one since (and only been stopped twice). No, I don't ride slow or use a detector other than my eyes.

Really. Keep 'em open and scanning - including the mirrors - and know what the locals and staties use and what they look like. I 'go to warp' almost every time I go out, so I know this works. ;)

:cool:

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I feel your pain, kinda. Every time I take my TT out for some abuse, I mean a ride, I tend to get pulled over. Don't always get a performance award mostly an ass chewin' from LEO. Probably because they never seem to get a radar fix on my. Knock on wood!

The last 2 times were on the ride to and from work. Once on the way in and once on the way home. First one saw my lights flicking back and forth. Threatened with wreckless driving ticket. The other was off an duty sheriff in his personal car. He saw me coming and pulled over into the turn lane to get on to a side road. I thought "what a nice guy, moving over like that to get out of traffic" and rolled around him. My mirrors give a great view of my elbows so I didn't see him jump out behind me. After he pulled me over he told me he had to do 90mph to catch me. I thought " of course you had to speed moron. If you did the speed limit you'd never catch me" but said uh oh! After a bunch of cussing and yelling at me he finally let me go with a warning. Hoping that if he let me go I'd slow down. I thanked him and went on my way

Now not wanting to be a jerk but I've been riding for 25+ years and I've not slowed down yet, Don't think its going to happen!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only chewin' that happened here was the cop explained how motorcycles kill riders. They drift to the outside of the lane, the tires hit the dirt and the motorcycle slows down so fast that the rider is thrown over the guardrail. Is the cop a rider? I think NOT!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been down graded to a warning only ticket on two occasions when I should have been fined. The reason? I attribute it to my vanity tag. It's "OLDKID". I think the officers found some envious humor in the truth of it. Also, being fully armored up and being polite helped.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think it's really a benefit if the cop is a rider. I had a crash on my Tiger in Denver and the M/C cop was the greatest guy. The non-riding speedtrap guy just looks at us as problems that need to be dealt with. There is no doubt that when my helmet comes off I'm an OLDKID, too!
Too bad SPEEDGEEZER won't fit on a plate!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Try SPDGZR.
The cage drivers won't be able to translate it, but most riders will.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
464 Posts
Theres a trick to all this,go fast where its ok to go fast,go slow where you gotta go slow. If theres a bunch of traffic or small towns then theres cops hiding behind trees and where ever. Long winding roads out in the middle of nowhere tend to have very few cops.
Mirrors are VERY important,if yours dont work get some others that do.
Doing over a 100 means you wont know theres a cop around till he has snagged you. Common sense can often work.
Ive had 3 tickets in 3 months at one point in my career,gets very,very pricey. Ive never had a warning for speeding,only tickets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
...The last 2 times were on the ride to and from work. Once on the way in and once on the way home...
My Wife and I just bought a house up in northern Groveland/Clermont area, so I'll begin riding to & from work as daily as weather will let me.
I'll be riding the turnpike between the highway 19 ramp and I-4 ramp.
I know the hilly part of Clermont & Monte Verde is full of bicycles on the roads, but what about the other parts of town other than the hwy 50 construction areas? Are the Clermont police "exceptionally vigilant" for bikes out there? I ride my Harley out to the Harley shop on 27 once in a while, but that's been it mostly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts