Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't give a lot of techinical details about the bike given that I got my motorcyle endorsement two months ago, but at the rip old age of 50, I am riding for the first time since my teen years and as of Thursday, on a t-bird.

I've always wanted a cycle. My wife has put her her foot down all these years, but now that the kids are through college and employeed, she gave in.

I purchased a 2004 Bonnevile in March. It's a flawless bike and I love riding it (I put 1600 miles on it since March), but I found out that my right arthritic knee does not like to be bent for long periods.

As a result, I decided I needed a front control bike. I read the t-bird reviews, and saw the pictures, but the pictures didn't do a lot for me. Then, last weekend, I saw a new t-bird at the West Michigan vintage bike show. I fell in love with the looks of the bike. It looks far better in person than in the magazines. Understated elegance comes to mind.

Anyway, I called the dealer and asked when a non-sold unit would be available to test drive. As it turns out, they took delivery of two pre-sold bikes, but one deal fell through. I rode my Bonne 60 miles to the dealer, test drove the t-bird and loved it. No knee pain, comfortable, handled better than I expected, and the engine is incredibile. I purchased the bike on the spot, rode it home (my bonne is still at the dealer) and I now have the first Michigan 2010 t-bird (I think).

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's awesome and congratulations - on the bike and on getting back to riding. Of course you know, the bike doesn't actually exist until you post pictures, right? HAHAHAHA!!! :p

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's awesome and congratulations - on the bike and on getting back to riding. Of course you know, the bike doesn't actually exist until you post pictures, right? HAHAHAHA!!!
No doubt that my wife claims I live in a fantasy world, but in this case I'm happy to say the bike is real:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Wow!

Very exciting, that is one nice looking bike in black you got there. Enjoy and watch out for all the crazies out there. I really like the photo of the rear of the bike while facing the garage, the mufflers look really good with the back tire in that one.

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
Dead sexy bike you got there engage. Thats what mine will look like if it ever manages to get here that is....

Enjoy

·
Registered
207 Posts
Nice bike!!! I bought my Street Triple from Life Cycle, good guys over there. My uncle wants to buy a T-Bird, he has the money, but awaiting approval from his wife :D. If you are ever riding around Owosso (Shiawassee Co.) shoot me a message so I can here that T-Bird sound :D.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats! You have good taste in color choice :D
I was dead set on the blue. The bike I saw last weekend was blue and of course that's the one in all the pictures. And I like the stripe - adds character. So when I went to test drive this bike, I figure my only purpose was to determine if I liked the ride and then I would order a blue one. But, I like the black. I like it in the same way I like my Bonnevile Black over the painted Bonnes. It's a different, more aggressive look and as my son says, I can add a stripe if I want have have the only black T-Bird with a stripe.

WOW, what a stroke of luck
No doubt. I thought it would be the end of the summer/next spring until I had one of these in my hands. And while I like my Bonneville, it's painful for me to ride with my knee. Also, this bike is much better at freeway speeds.

I bought my Street Triple from Life Cycle, good guys over there
Yes they are.

At lot of people have blasted Triumph for this bike in the looks department. To me, the T-bird is much better looking than any Harley with the possible exception of the V-rod. It's water cooled, has a great engine and is very reasonably priced (IMO).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was also at the vintage bike show on my white Street Triple. I spent most of my time by the Triumph tent. You probably saw me.
I probably did. I went back to the tent 5 or 6 times to look at the T-bird:D

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Ahhhh, you lucky dog you !!! Nice.

To me, the T-bird is much better looking than any Harley with the possible exception of the V-rod.
Yeah, but ever sat on a Vrod? It feels odd with that super narrow front end. Even my HD buddy said that. I agree tho they can look pretty nice. Not as nice as the Tbird to my eye, but at certain angles in in certain colors they do look nice. I\'ve just never been too hot for that sportbike-like external frame around the tank thing. It\'s the main reason i hate the look of sportbikes, so on the Vrod it ruins it form me to a large degree. With that gone and a different look from the rider\'s view i might have considered one, tho the badge was also a huge deterrent. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
At lot of people have blasted Triumph for this bike in the looks department. To me, the T-bird is much better looking than any Harley with the possible exception of the V-rod. It's water cooled, has a great engine and is very reasonably priced (IMO).
Anything with an engine designed by Porsche can't be that bad. I'd sure as hell take one. :D The new V-Rod Muscle looks pretty tough.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Bike looks great in black engage - congrats again. Thanks for posting pics. I just found out we have a new Triumph dealer near me, so I'm hoping they will have a Tbird in before long for me to drool over...

·
Registered
11 Posts
How about a, up close and personal, review of the baby?

Saw one at the new Triumph, old Harley, dealer a couple days ago. It's a nice machine.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Looks great, but no black for me.
I can't spend my free time dusting and I try have my vehicles stand out and say "don't run into me". It's worked so far for 37 years.

Good luck and wear a loud jacket.

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's it! Can't stand listening to you all.... I've ordered one!

Engage - Thanks for the pics.
As someone has said - that picture of the bike facing the garage door was the last straw that broke my back!

I order my T-bird last Saturday - in black! :D

I hope you don't mind me 'fidlin' around with your pictures, but I needed to get my idea of a paint job out of my head into something visual...
I think I'll be sending mine for a little personalization - along these lines will be my contributions:

(Photograph © Engage)

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Thats looks nice, but i swear you wouldn't believe how the blue and white stripe grows on you after you get one ! I was very disappointed that the bike didn't have paint something like that. But now i honestly prefer the blue/white ! It has a more classy/quality look. As much as i liked my speedy's paint i always felt it created a slightly cheap japanese bike effect, or as i said once before, circus-like. But you really have to have one for a couple days to "get it" both as far as the look and the way the bike feels.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts