Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I hope this is in the right forum, I know there is a classifieds section but this is a question about the value not an attempt to sell the bike- i did try and place a add in the classifieds however but i guess i am still too new to do so, if it would please the moderators, i would be happy to edit the post and erase the link and just post all the information with no # or name as to just give the pertinant information.

I bought a Triumph T-Bird over a year ago from a buddy for $5000. this was/is my first motorcycle. at the time, i thought the price was a bit high but not too far out of the ballpark, and i liked the bike a lot.

anyway, i am trying to sell the bike and i am hitting a brick wall. i have went from $5000 to $4000 to $3500, and i have been getting a few nibbles at $3500, but nothing is panning out

i have had a few offers for $2000- but that seems insanely cheep.

could you please check this add out and tell me what you guys think the value of this bike is- frankly i am about to use it as a trade in on the new bike but i am not going to get much for it from the HD dealer.
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/mcy/1243041259.html

as a side note- I really like triumph and i would buy a new one again in the future, I really want a rocket iii, but i think triumph needs to make a touring bike with a fairing and a radio- untill then, i am stuck on the HD

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I bought my 99 Legend with 3500 miles on it for $3500 2 years ago here in Glens Falls NY. No Triumph dealer closer than 3 hours away, and that was a factor. My buddy just bought a 2000 Legend in Portsmouth NH 2 weeks ago, 5400 miles with Triumph summer screen, bag rails and leather bags, all for $3300. His looks brand new. Depending on your region, and the type of buyer, anywhere from $3000 on up to maybe $4000 seems to be the range of these. I think any brand of bike of this vintage sells for less than one would expect. The bottom line, I guess, is that it seems to be a buyer's market right now for used bikes, and all the brands are going for much less than they were a few seasons ago. It's just too bad you rode that Electra Glide:D (Personally, I've never ridden a Harley, as the cruiser riding position just isn't for me. By the way, if you are in the Electra price range, have you at least given the new Thunderbird a look? Just a thought...)

·
Registered
272 Posts
One reference is to use e-bay to see what your bike has sold for in the past. Go to Triumph, then Thunderbird,, then "see completed listings."

Not only will it give you the prices that the bike sold for, but also the bikes that did not sell are listed there too, (as was yours).
It seems like patience is what is needed. What is the Harley dealer going to give you on a trade? How about starting at a point one grand above that.

Visibility is good too. Many motorcycle sales are completed on emotion. Can you park the bike in a place that is safe, with a lot of traffic going by. And don't forget the most important part is to put a large sign with a highly visible price so drivers can see it as they go by.

My advice is to remember that dealers will always have new bikes available. Keep trying to sell yours, and like a friend of mine once said, everyting will sell when the price is right.
In the meantime, tooling around on the bird is not a terrible thing.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Well, the ad says it's a '96 1/2 but not how many miles on it, so it's kind of hard to give you a price.

Also, in the ad you talk about alot of work being done, but aren't specific/don't know.

I can tell you $5000 is way too high. $3250 may be about right if it's in real good, original condition.

I have to say that the history prior to your ownership is a little fuzzy.
so I'd be hesitant to spend much on it unless I really got to go over it and see what's up.

Honestly you paid way too much for it and you're not going to get that much back out of it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
The ad mentions that both the shifter and rear brake pedal took a hit, it needed new bars, someone has been inside the engine cases, both hand levers were replaced, and the tank is dented.

The location of that tank dent is classic. Looks like it was dropped on the right side and hard if it had the OEM bars on it. If it had lower bars at the time, then a gentle drop would have done that. But the post sounds like it was dropped on the left since the shifter was broken.

I'm not trying to be negative, but the tone of the article makes me think that someone threw it down the road rather than knocked it over at a standstill.

If you want to make some extra cash: That King and Queen seat will not get you much selling it with the bike. It can fetch a higher price if you sell that K&Q seat separately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts