Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R 2016 Thruxton R
2,095 Posts
Wow! I love the blue & gold/yellow! And I like the way the pin-striping was laced down! Very original and tasteful!

Reactions: 1-sime

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R 2016 Thruxton R
2,095 Posts
I just noticed that in your pictures, you can see the accessory brushed carburetor caps that you installed... Even they look pretty cool, and just the right amount of 'retro' with that terrific paint scheme. And the brass color in the stock engine cover disc/caps go great thing the pin-striping. Well done.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Beautiful indeed but why keep the side covers black?
Just curious.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I just noticed that in your pictures, you can see the accessory brushed carburetor caps that you installed... Even they look pretty cool, and just the right amount of 'retro' with that terrific paint scheme. And the brass color in the stock engine cover disc/caps go great thing the pin-striping. Well done.
thanks - the carb covers were the first OEM part I installed along with the oil cap and the bolt covers.

Beautiful indeed but why keep the side covers black?
Just curious.
That's actually an ongoing question for me. When you check out most custom paint jobs on Thruxtons, its 50/50 between people who kept them black or had them painted. At the time, I thought that just like the red "R", keeping the covers black would bring out more contrast. However, I think I'm going to reconsider. Alexis92 had warned me - should have listened...

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
That's actually an ongoing question for me. When you check out most custom paint jobs on Thruxtons, its 50/50 between people who kept them black or had them painted. At the time, I thought that just like the red "R", keeping the covers black would bring out more contrast. However, I think I'm going to reconsider. Alexis92 had warned me - should have listened...
If you retain the black, you retain the "floating" tank and cowl combo when viewed from the side. If you color-match the side panels, you lose that effect.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you retain the black, you retain the "floating" tank and cowl combo when viewed from the side. If you color-match the side panels, you lose that effect.
Color matching the side covers with the tank will only add to the perception of body mass. Leave them black, or maybe aluminum. Beautiful as is!
Precisely! The floating tank effect and light body mass was what I was going for. However, the glossy black does stick out a bit...
I first need to get rid of those red stiches on the seat.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Paint the screens in the side covers black. :D

Would then look no different than the oil tank on the real one above? ;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Maybe just putting "Thruxton" in blue on the side covers might be enough to tone down the gloss black. What FEK did you use?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't really like the stock yellow color of the rear shocks. I think they'd look better in black. Anyone have an idea on how to proceed?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had them painted with epoxy
When I had my bike repainted, my painter kindly refused to do the shocks - he said it was complicated to disassemble the spring from the shocks.

More info please... Thought I read someone was sourcing black ones from Ohlins that were the same spec/rate. I'd like to get rid of the yellow too. I like the gold reservoirs and forks, but the springs are too bright for me.
I contacted Ohlins yesterday and they asked me to send them the reference of the shocks (which I did 1/2H ago). I'll let your know.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts