Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Inspired by the many custom bikes that I have seen mostly in this forum, and what started out as a simple google search for “how to make my thruxton a little louder” has resulted in many days, weeks and now moving into months of tinkering, designing, fabricating and fitting countless custom parts to my bike.

I originally purchased this 2015 Thruxton 900 bike in 2016, it had never been ridden and I got it for what was then an absolute steel.

I managed to rack up a total of 700 klms on it before getting drunk with some friends one day and deciding it was a good idea to carry the bike up three large flights of stairs into my living room… where it still resides. Earlier this year I decided it was time to get it back on the road but before doing so fit a slip on exhaust, change the oil and spark plugs…

Things I have Done So Far:
- Removed the front, rear fender and cafe style windshield
- Fitted Cone Engineering Shorty Performers (looking to put some additional baffles to reduce the sound as I find it too loud now)
- Removed the air baffle, and snorkel, fitted K & N Air Filter
- Removed the Air Injection and O2 Sensors
- Tuned with TTP Tune Level 4
- Wrapped the pipes in Accel Tan High Temp Wrap (50ft x 1” for each side)
- Relocated horn under tank (it just looked dumb up front)
- Installed British customs matt black sprocket cover
- Spray painted the front headlight bucket black and brush finished the outer rim.
- Fitted matt black stone guard
- Fitted BAAK No 1 brushed handle bars
- Fitted BAAK brushed side covers
- Fitted BAAK brused front fender
- BAAK Brushed Finish Skid Plate
- Fitted matt black mini retro mirrors (into existing mirror mounts)

Waiting on parts:
- Motogadget M-Blaze Pin Bolt-On Turn Signal*font and rear (have British custom indicator brackets for both front and back)
- Brushed finish bar ends
- Fork gaiters: So I can make a leather fork gaiter mold and hand make them.
- Biltwell Kung Fu TPV Grips
- BC ignition relocated
- BC rectifier relocation bracket
- Cable extenstion kit
- BAAK brushed finish mini rear fender kit
- Heidenau K60 Scout Dual Sport Tyres

Leather Work:
- Almost done making side bags
- Will wrap the new hand grips in leather
- Making a custom slightly thinner seat from a motion base
- Leather fork gaiters

Will update soon with progress pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, whats more annoying is they wont come back for free pizza to help me tack it back down.

Please document your grip making project. I want to do this and would appreciate seeing it done. Thanks!
Absolutely will do. Grips are in the mail, should get them later this week.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Got some more work done on the bike today, biggest job, removing the throttle and clutch cable also the front brake line.
Got my levers back on and installed the retro mini mirrors. Look really nice IMO.

Also attaching a photo of where i put the horn under the seat. So nice to have it out of the way and not making the front of the bike look stupid.
And a photo of all the parts that will never go back on the bike. Still tyres and airbox to come off yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got some good progress on my side saddle bags, not happy with the chrome buckle, so going to switch that out for something darker.
Mounted the right hand side and now working on the left.
Will be receiving a few part later (rear fender, cable extension kit, indicators) today which will keep me busy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Some great work so far, much more comfortable and warm to work inside the house if you can get away with it.
Is leather work a hobby or profession or are the saddle bags a first attempt, Look good if they are.
do you think you will be able to ride it down the stairs maybe with some narrower bars ?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some great work so far, much more comfortable and warm to work inside the house if you can get away with it.
Is leather work a hobby or profession or are the saddle bags a first attempt, Look good if they are.
do you think you will be able to ride it down the stairs maybe with some narrower bars ?
Haha negative on the ride down the stairs, I would def kill at least three people.

Thanks man, appreciate that. It is my first attempt. Took a lot of you tube watching and learning from the guys in the motorbike section of the leather workers forum.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got some good work done today and last night.

The M-Blaze indicators went in, love these lights, you can barley spot them at all, the're super bright, even in the day and installation is very neat. I did have that higher speed flashing problem but a quick amazon prime delivery got me a "LF1-S-PIN" flasher relay that plugged strait in and fixed it.

The long cable kit went on, the throttle cables were a little tedious. But it was fun to learn how to adjust them along with the clutch friction point. Just need to add dot 4 break fluid and bleed the front break. Also put some leather cable ties on the handle bar cables, which tie in the front and the side of the bike nicely.

Front headlight also very happy with, the 100 grit sanding on the rim did a great job and matching the rest of the brushed finishes and the satin black rustoium rattle can with a couple under coats of rustoium self etching primer came up great. The satin black grill is also adds a super aggresive look to the front.

The rear fender from BAAK was a sinch to install as they provided me with a harness.

And lastly... i think, the new brass finish buckle and rivets on the side bag looks WAY better.

Cant wait to get this thing outside to both ride and so I can take some better photos. Should be able to get the grips (which have been delayed till monday) and the other remaining necessary parts done mid next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Really like what you've done so far, everything ties together nicely. Great to see somebody who appreciates the small things that can make or break a modified bike, you were right about the buckles and leather cable ties, that's attention to detail ?

Reactions: AusSimon

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really like what you've done so far, everything ties together nicely. Great to see somebody who appreciates the small things that can make or break a modified bike, you were right about the buckles and leather cable ties, that's attention to detail ?
Thank you Scotty, really appreciate that.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tonight i had one hell of a time trying to get pressure in the front brake after replacing the lines.

after 15 minutes of pumping and bleeding (both physically and brake fluid) I had a bit of a google and found some guys who had success with using a small plastic syringe to push brake fluid into the open bleeder valve.
I kept the brake fluid top up container open and half full, opened the bleeder valve and pushed about three full syringes worth of fluid I drew from the new bottle inthe to brake line/system.

After that I continued bleeding them and after one or two rounds I had good compression in the breaks, 5-6 more goes and no more air coming out of the lines. Looks like we are good to go.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got some goodies in the mail today. Gel seat insert, Foam for seat pleating, Grips, Gaiters (for making leather gaiter moldes)... And some other small bit and pieces.

While i did spend some time today learning how to use a sewing machine and trying to sew leather. I spent the majority making the leather grips. Really happy with them. (see attached)
@speedfoos I just did a huge post on how i went about making the grips, I put it in a whole separate post here:
https://www.triumphrat.net/maintenance-and-workshop-talk/960794-guide-to-making-custom-leather-hand-grips.html#post2003997702

Hopefully ill be getting my 2007 Bonneville seat in soon so i can start on the leather seat cover.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After countless hours building ramps, and even making a platform with built in car jack to lift the back of the bike enough to clear the top step I managed to get the bike out of my apartment finally!!! Feels good to finally have the thing back on the road.

Let this be a lesson, never get drunk with several Canadians and carry a bike up large flights of stairs.

However I just discovered that in Quebec, if your bike is off the road for more than 2 years, you need to have an inspection done. I found the outline for standards and now I have to put a lot of the old parts back on the bike temporarily to pass it. Parts include the rear fender, front indicators, chain guard, reflectors and mirrors. Soooo annoying!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Glad you got it out safely although I still think you could have ridden it down the stairs?
https://youtu.be/y3CsLDhcC-A
Jump to 1m:15s
seriously though can't wait to see some finished pics of it in its natural environment out on the road, shame you have to put some of the standard parts back on for now, we have to do similar in the UK every year for our MOT inspection, legal number plate and so on.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hahah. That bike looks like it’s about 50cc.

Omg that must be so frustrating having to change bike mods every year. Makes somewhat appreciate what I need to do.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hahah. That bike looks like it’s about 50cc.

Omg that must be so frustrating having to change bike mods every year. Makes somewhat appreciate what I need to do.
It's not as bad as it sounds, luckily there is no emissions check or exhaust noise measurement for motorbikes so all I have to do is put my full-size plate back on for one day, don't even bother putting the baffle in the Daytona arrow can, don't mind having noisy exhaust as an advisory on the MOT ?
It would be a nightmare if you had to put standard exhausts back on and catalytic converters, I imagine a lot of people wouldn't even have the standard parts anyway.

Reactions: AusSimon

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I passed inspection!!!!

I literally had to refit just about every exterior part back onto the bike except the handle bars. The quebec rules are so dam strict, they pulled me up for having mirrors that were 1cm too short among other things. But after a trip to a bike shop and $40 later, I got some cheap, huge ass, ugly mirrors and retro fitted them.

Aside from that, I received my bonneville seat, its sloped in the front, which i didn't notice from the photo, I thought all bonnies had flat seats. But i am going to go with it anyway. I got a 1cm gel pad off amazon and installed it. Pretty simple job, just time consuming. Got a really nice fit and wow is it comfortable.

Also while I had the pipes off (unfortunately i don't have any photos) I put a baffle/silencer in to reduce the noice my Cone Eng Shorties make.
I went with this one in 1 1/2 inch: https://fortnine.ca/en/bikers-choice-exhaust-pipe-baffles-can-opener-style

it fit perfectly with a little persuading and a mallet into the OEM manifold. So i didn't need to drill any holes. The angle in the Cone Slip Ons will stop it from ever coming out should it move but i honestly don't think it will.

The noise level at idle is noticeably lower. My readings were 96db at idle before, now I am reading more around 92db. I didn't measure the levels at mid throttle but i feel they are about the same.

With the TTP tune, i don't notice any difference in riding performance, maybe just slightly off on idle. More time may tell differently.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts