Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold the bike to a local motorcycle buyer who has a container with 30 bikes inside going to the UK. He paid my price without much dickering, he never started the engine, looked at it quickly, checked the numbers listed on the title and off it went...
Lots of modifications on the bike...Be interesting to see what the selling price is in the UK. I don't if he is buying bikes on speculation or has buyers
Tire Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle Fuel tank

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I will keep an eye out for it. There are a few eBay sellers who regularly sell returned bikes. I have a standing search for T140s, so it should show up there.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
There are a lot of bikes being brought back at the moment. One dealer in Exeter and another in Totnes bringing in large quantities of parts. That is just local to me. There is a tendency to invest in bikes and cars when there is low interest on savings. Small Ford cars of the 80s are often over £20,000 now. Just the cars we used to throw away when they rusted out.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha, back to it's point origin, home was the USA....It was built for the American market, yes? 😉

·
Registered
984 Posts
Ha, back to it's point origin, home was the USA....It was built for the American market, yes? 😉
I don't know if it would have been built for the American market. Was it always, right from when someone hammered the number in the frame destined to leave these shores, or was it finished (born 🇬🇧) and then had its fate decided?

·
Super Moderator
13,830 Posts
I don't know if it would have been built for the American market. Was it always, right from when someone hammered the number in the frame destined to leave these shores, or was it finished (born 🇬🇧) and then had its fate decided?
From what I've read in several Triumph history books, the D model Special was "focused" on the US market, without a doubt the BIGGEST market Triumph had around that time, which was also the beginning of the end.

The "cruiser" styling also continued to the TSS & TSX which ended Meriden's production.

I think the US remained Triumph's largest market right to the end.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Indeed, I've read without the T140 models and the American public, there would be no Triumph motorcycles today.
So we could call Truckedup 's bike a British-born American baby?
🇺🇲 🇬🇧

And to think 60s buffs look down on 70s Triumphs!

·
Premium Member
10,117 Posts
The USA spec “special” sold way better in the UK than the Home Market version.
i loved the US ones but hated the cast wheels. They have grown on me a little since

i make do with a black 79 with short front mudguard. And stainless spokes and rims

1 - 10 of 10 Posts