Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this 1973 T100R Saturday (10/08/11).
It's pretty much all there with matching numbers and about 5,500 miles on the odo.

I plan on doing a complete frame up and having it ready to ride by my 65th birthday (about 15 months).

I am currently doing a 1985 Honda VF1100S - V65 Sabre and won't get started on the Daytona until it is finished.

This is my first Triumph since about 1972 and I'm looking forward to putting it back to as close to stock and as nice as I can get it.

I'm sure that I'll have many questions when I get underway.

So far I can see that I need:
1.) Front fender lower brace (gone).
2.) Complete front turn signal assemblies (gone).
3.) Stock bars (someone changed to high rise).
4.) The aluminum disc on the left side of the front wheel (damaged beyond repair).

Thanks all
FJ

·
Registered
11,459 Posts
FJ,

Congrats on your new/old Daytona. Not sure if you've been to this site yet but if not they have a workshop manual for your bike.

Happy 64th in two months BTW.

Good luck on the restore. Looks like a nice birthday gift to yourself. I'll probably just get myself another tie for my 65th. ;)

http://www.classicbike.biz/

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Does it really need to be restored? It doesn't look all that bad in the photos. Think about doing a lot of cleaning and then fix what's needed. It may not look as "pristine" as a restoration, but it'll still be original.

The "village idiot's" 42 year old Tiger still looks better than he did when he was 42!! Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
triumpt120rv;
Thanks for the link. I downloaded the service and owner's manuals.

jimballard;
It's WAY rougher in real life than it looks in those pictures.
It sat for many years (inside in the dry but uncovered) and has a lot of cosmetic age damage.

To all;
Did the US 1973 Daytonas have the rubber pads on the tank? I have seen supposedly stock US bikes both ways.
What colors were available on the US model?
I have seen a few other 1973 Daytonas with the high rise bars like mine. The turn signal switch leads don't appear to have been tampered with (but I haven't taken out the head light to check inside). Did any 1973 US Daytonas actually come with these type high rise bars.

Thanks to all.
FJ

·
Registered
109 Posts
The 1973 US model was finished in 'Hi-Fi Vermilion and Ice White', whilst the UK model was painted 'Astral Blue and Gold'.....well according to the book I have.

The US bars look slightly higher than the UK, but not as tall as yours.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice looking ride there Jimmy.

I have a "72" I got in the same condition. I have been fixing on it for the last few months and just today took for the first real ride.

I don't plan on making it showroon just good enough at 10'

Enjoy.

Marty

1 - 6 of 6 Posts