Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
I shot these photos today after a brisk ride in the country. Chilled to the bone, but I had a blast on the new bike !
Congratulations on the new bike. It looks great. I am guessing Vancouver or Victoria by the foliage? Where else in Canada can you ride this time of year...we are still up to our ears in snow where I am. Although it is melting more each day.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Beautiful color. My guess is that the bike AND the camera will be getting a real workout for a while. Be prepared for all the compliments you'll be hearing when you take her out on the town. Congrats!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations on the new bike. It looks great. I am guessing Vancouver or Victoria by the foliage? Where else in Canada can you ride this time of year...we are still up to our ears in snow where I am. Although it is melting more each day.
yeah, I am in Victoria BC. (Sidney to be more precise) The weather here is great right now, although the wind chill was intense without a windshield this morning. I hope Spring brings you guys some mild riding weather soon.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful color. My guess is that the bike AND the camera will be getting a real workout for a while. Be prepared for all the compliments you'll be hearing when you take her out on the town. Congrats!
Thanks ! I do love the Green and Cream color, and was lucky to get one of the three my dealer had coming this way. I am already scouting for camera shoot locations around here !

·
Registered
630 Posts
Now that's a beautiful looking bike but then I do have a 2008 T100 in the same colours so I'm probably just a little biased. ;)

I notice that Triumph are using black engine paint on the T100's for 2009, at least that's been the case on all the ones I've seen so far, I do prefer the silver engine paint as used on previous T100's though.

Personal preference I suppose and probably not a deal breaker anyway.

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Just beautiful Steel. Gorgeous bike and love the color. A work of art.
How about a ride report? What are your riding impressions?
Congrats,
George

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gorgeous bike! Are the Union Jack emblems on the airbox covers stock or aftermarket? I like 'em!
the small Union Jack emblems were bought from the dealer. (plastic dome type) I think they really bring the sidecovers to life !

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congrats,
George
thanks I will write up a report for the pending T100 buyers soon, with my impressions.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Ooooh, SteelWheels, it is so nice and shiny...and green and cream, and so very proper looking. I think you are bonding well with the bike, riding it around and such, but to really complete this unifying process, you really must ride it while naked. Thoroughly naked, except for shoes so your toenails don't scratch the covers.
Try it. Tell us how you feel afterward.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ooooh, SteelWheels, it is so nice and shiny...and green and cream, and so very proper looking. I think you are bonding well with the bike, riding it around and such, but to really complete this unifying process, you really must ride it while naked. Thoroughly naked, except for shoes so your toenails don't scratch the covers.
Try it. Tell us how you feel afterward.
you must be very popular with your neighbours !

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
My Bonneville T100 review (thus far)

Congrats,
George
so concerning my riding impressions : I know there are lurkers out there who are trying to decide if the Bonneville is the right bike for them. I was one myself a few weeks back before I dropped some cash on my new T100. Here are my observations for what they are worth... first off, I found the T100 a stunning visual feast with it's retro look and abundance of chrome. It almost beckons you to throw a leg over the set, and settle in. As you sit firmly but comfortably on the long saddle, you will see the ignition key to your left, on the side of the headlight area. If you turn the key on, and blip the starter button on the right grip side,.. nothing happens ! No, it's not a dead battery, but a saftey feature of a kind that demands you first be in neutral, and pull in the clutch to start the engine. I found the shift lever a bit too close to the bike for my liking, but others may like the tucked in look. A positive click down with your toe gets you into first gear, and gets you underway when the clutch is fed out. After coming off a Harley Road King, the Bonnie seemed physically small in a refreshing sort of way, more like my old Honda 500 that I loved so much. I noticed that the front fender is not visible when riding the bike, and everything seems to end just beyond the instruments. Not that this matters, as you should be steering the bike with your eyes anyway. As far as road manners go, the stock Bonnie is a forgiving beast, and gives you positive feedback through all gears in a safe non threatening manner. It will move you as quickly as you want, but not in a crotch rocket way. More of a progessive pulling action, that some sports riders will not like. I did some low speed maneuvers, and had no problems doing tight circles with confidence and great control, thanks to the light feel of this bike.. My biggest complaints are small concerns, such as the awkward non canceling blinker light controls, and side stand location (I have a hard time finding the thing with my foot !) Generally I would recommend this bike to those who want a machine that looks great, is safe to drive, capable of staying with most any other bike on long runs, and comfortable for two up riding.I expect to enjoy this bike for many years, and know the timeless design will never go out of style.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, nice bike!

You lucky guy, we are still covered in snow and -15!!!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
so concerning my riding impressions : I know there are lurkers out there who are trying to decide if the Bonneville is the right bike for them. I was one myself a few weeks back before I dropped some cash on my new T100. Here are my observations for what they are worth... first off, I found the T100 a stunning visual feast with it's retro look and abundance of chrome. It almost beckons you to throw a leg over the set, and settle in. As you sit firmly but comfortably on the long saddle, you will see the ignition key to your left, on the side of the headlight area. If you turn the key on, and blip the starter button on the right grip side,.. nothing happens ! No, it's not a dead battery, but a saftey feature of a kind that demands you first be in neutral, and pull in the clutch to start the engine. I found the shift lever a bit too close to the bike for my liking, but others may like the tucked in look. A positive click down with your toe gets you into first gear, and gets you underway when the clutch is fed out. After coming off a Harley Road King, the Bonnie seemed physically small in a refreshing sort of way, more like my old Honda 500 that I loved so much. I noticed that the front fender is not visible when riding the bike, and everything seems to end just beyond the instruments. Not that this matters, as you should be steering the bike with your eyes anyway. As far as road manners go, the stock Bonnie is a forgiving beast, and gives you positive feedback through all gears in a safe non threatening manner. It will move you as quickly as you want, but not in a crotch rocket way. More of a progessive pulling action, that some sports riders will not like. I did some low speed maneuvers, and had no problems doing tight circles with confidence and great control, thanks to the light feel of this bike.. My biggest complaints are small concerns, such as the awkward non canceling blinker light controls, and side stand location (I have a hard time finding the thing with my foot !) Generally I would recommend this bike to those who want a machine that looks great, is safe to drive, capable of staying with most any other bike on long runs, and comfortable for two up riding.I expect to enjoy this bike for many years, and know the timeless design will never go out of style.
A nice review. I personally prefer self cancelling turn signals being a bit old school...but timer modules are readily available if you want to install one. No issue finding the side stand for me at least. I am installing a thruxton turn signal bracket and moving my turn signals down in front and replacing them both front and back on my bike currently as I don't like the stock lighting...how far they stick out and don't like how the ignition switch is encumbered by the lef front turn signal...so that will change on my bike. My bike btw is still unridden so was curious what your impressions were. You didn't say anything about the stock exhaust note which is the first thing is being changed on my bike as to me a motorcycle has to sound like one and the wonderful vertical twin on these bikes has to be uncorked.
Congrats on the bike and ride safe,
George

·
Registered
387 Posts
I agree with George. I would also like to here your impressions of the factory exhaust sound, but for a different reason... I am hoping to be able to ride my new T100 when it arrives with the factory exhaust - at least for a while - and not hate it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree with George. I would also like to here your impressions of the factory exhaust sound, but for a different reason... I am hoping to be able to ride my new T100 when it arrives with the factory exhaust - at least for a while - and not hate it.
right now, I am enjoying the stock exhaust sound. It's nice for a change not to have people on the street angrily glare at me as I pass them , as happened a lot on the Harley. The stock exhaust note under power reminds me of a sports type bike that the young riders are using today, so it's not a bad sound at all !. Anyway with the wind in your ears, any engine sound all but disappears. I may change the exhaust in the future, but for now when I cruise through the country and see horses grazing in the fields that aren't startled by my passing, I smile :)

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
right now, I am enjoying the stock exhaust sound. It's nice for a change not to have people on the street angrily glare at me as I pass them , as happened a lot on the Harley. The stock exhaust note under power reminds me of a sports type bike that the young riders are using today, so it's not a bad sound at all !. Anyway with the wind in your ears, any engine sound all but disappears. I may change the exhaust in the future, but for now when I cruise through the country and see horses grazing in the fields that aren't startled by my passing, I smile :)
I understand where you are coming from Steel on the noise level thing. My last motorcycle which was a Victory had the Stage 1 pipes and I had to ride with earplugs to prevent pain. I personally am not that plussed what others think having a foot in the school that loud pipes save lives. That said...I believe on the street there is a middle ground for noise and I didn't want to go to the sound level I had with my last bike and hence enter TORS. It is possible Triumph improved the base bike sound for '09 because my bike didn't sound as sewing machine-ish as previous model years I have ridden. There is a subtext to the sound thing and it pertains to perception of speed. Part of the sensory delight of a nice motorcycle in my opinion is hearing and somewhat feeling the sound of the exhaust which in my opinion contributes to the perception of speed without going to jail.
The other thing I like about the vertical Triumph twin is it doesn't sound like a sport bike...a good thing IMHO.
Ride safe and love your bike,
George

1 - 20 of 26 Posts