Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a month ago or so I got my bike already for summer riding; changed the chain and sprockets, oil and filter, replaced hoses all kinds of things an 11 year old bike needs that haven't been done or where due. At the same time I entered a contest for Cycle World subscibers to be a guest editor for them. The job was to test ride the new Kawasaki Ninja 1000 for three months and blog about it. They send you the bike and HD Contour camera and you ride it and report. All you had to do was write an essay explaining why you would be a good choice. So I did, and was picked (go figure after I spent abunch of money to tune up the Sprint). Cool! I get to thrash someone elses bike for the summer. I get the bike today, they say that the hardbags are coming with it, so it sould be a good comparo to the Sprint. AMA Rider Steve Rapp will be giving me the keys and going on a ride with me and another winner. Here's the link to the site where will be posting video and ride reports if anyone is interested, www.cycleworldkawasakininja1000experience.com.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Congratulations Colorado Dude!

I saw that contest too and thought about entering it because I took a brief test ride on the bike and know it would be fun. But as strange as this may sound, I declined the idea because if I won, I felt I would be obligated to ride the bike and wasn't sure how that would work out for me. And with the weather, summer looks like it's going to be on the short side here. But really, I am not a pessimist:D

I also thought it would be a cool idea, if from the pool of test riders such as yourself, they picked a winner at the end who would receive their bike free. Now if you get a free bike out of this....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congratulations Colorado Dude!

I saw that contest too and thought about entering it because I took a brief test ride on the bike and know it would be fun. But as strange as this may sound, I declined the idea because if I won, I felt I would be obligated to ride the bike and wasn't sure how that would work out for me. And with the weather, summer looks like it's going to be on the short side here. But really, I am not a pessimist:D

I also thought it would be a cool idea, if from the pool of test riders such as yourself, they picked a winner at the end who would receive their bike free. Now if you get a free bike out of this....
Those same thoughts did enter my mind. There are content requirements that you have to meet But what the heck, I thought if it leads to some other guest contributions then that would rock. They do offer the bike to be bought by the guest contributor at the end of the 3 months, for a amount that's not to bad for a brand new bike that you broke in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I look forward to hearing all the details on this bike, It's in my sights for the future. Of course my ST will have 80,000km or more by then so it's not being replaced for a couple more years.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Please don't tell us the Z is better than a Sprint. I just opted out of purchasing a new Z after several months of consideration, after one ride on now my 09 Sprint. Hate to think I made the wrong choice. I have an ER-6N, too, and didn't need two nekked bikes....tomp

·
Registered
132 Posts
That is really cool. Enjoy the heck out of it. Please keep us informed about your experience. The Ninja 1000 is on my short list of bikes that I would consider replacing the Sprint with.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Please don't tell us the Z is better than a Sprint. I just opted out of purchasing a new Z after several months of consideration, after one ride on now my 09 Sprint. Hate to think I made the wrong choice. I have an ER-6N, too, and didn't need two nekked bikes....tomp
Tomp,

I don't think you necessarily made the wrong choice. You probably know this, but he is testing the faired version, not the naked. Even so, I rode one very briefly and while I think it's a very worthy competitor to the ST and might be a little better in some areas, it still does not have character of the triple. When I got back on my Sprint, I still felt it had that "something" the Kawi did not. But it will be interesting to read CD's reports as he will have much more time on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I picked up the bike yesterday and got about 70 miles on it, riding around with Rapp and on the way home. The odo said 0 on it when I picked it up. I've never ridn' a bike with 0 on the clock, not even at the BMW/Ducati dealer I worked for. The techs always put the first miles on the bike after assmebly. The motor on the bike is super tight, the break-in is 600 miles keep it under 4k on the rpm's. Which is tuff, because in 6th gear at hwy speeds your at 5k plus. Bike feels lighter than the sprint, I havent actually compaired numbers yet. Has a much more upright riding position (didn't expect that). Should get some riding done this weekend to start to get a good feel for it.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
CD
Could you get the Kawi (and Sprint) on a certified scale??? We know ALL manufacturers lie through their teeth about motorcycle weights.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Tomp,

I don't think you necessarily made the wrong choice. You probably know this, but he is testing the faired version, not the naked. Even so, I rode one very briefly and while I think it's a very worthy competitor to the ST and might be a little better in some areas, it still does not have character of the triple. When I got back on my Sprint, I still felt it had that "something" the Kawi did not. But it will be interesting to read CD's reports as he will have much more time on it.
Thanks for the correction. FWIW, I went to my Kawi dealer to look at and consider a purchase of the Ninja 1k, and was told that they wouldn't be ordering any, and then I found out I was the third person in to see the bike in 24hrs. That's a potential of $30,000 the dealer was willing to walk away from. Makes no sense to me, that's why I was looking at the Z1k instead. tomp

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
was told that they wouldn't be ordering any, and then I found out I was the third person in to see the bike in 24hrs. That's a potential of $30,000 the dealer was willing to walk away from.
In spite of the fact that the industry is hurting in general, there must be a perception (or reality) that the larger percentage of buyers are still split hard between cruisers and race replicas, with a smaller percentage buying conventional tourers, sport tourers and nakeds. It's the only reason I can think of why a dealer would think the "upright Ninja" won't sell well. The one unit I test rode in December still sits at the dealer here. At least it looks to be the same unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks Slowmo, and everyone else. On the website they posted my first blog and some pics of Steve Rapp and I looking over the bike. There is also a video of my first mile on the bike that Steve shot on his Iphone.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
The motorcycle magazines have given weights for the Ninja 1000 between 498lbs and 503lbs wet. MCN lists my 03 ST at 553lbs wet (without brackets and luggage I believe). It's that weight reduction that interests me most in the Ninja.
Yes but the darn thing is lugging around an extra cylinder!!!

I mean what do you want with a fourth pot?:confused:

DaveM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts