Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmm...

I would swear that my 08 Speedy keeps getting faster? It's stock.
Why? This is what I came up with:

A) These bikes were tuned so lean for CA emissions, that the used air filter could be improving the air/fuel mixture?

B) The motor has 10k on it and is breaking in?

C) I am using 10-40 synthetic oil as opposed to 15-50 synthetic?

D) I added a few ounces of Marvel Mystery oil in the fuel the last few tanks as a wise old motorcyclist suggested.

E) I took up the slack in the throttle cable

F) All of the above.

Anymore explanations?

·
Registered
369 Posts
And with all that evaluation what performance tests have you conducted that cause you to arrive at the conclusion that your bike is getting faster by the mile?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
---Judging by the seat of my ass.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It was in the mid 50's here (Pacific North West) and between 6-10k RPM the bike pulls like a freight train...maybe it's cold weather induced.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Rings finally seated?

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
It's a known fact that engines are always strongest and faster just before the BLOW!!:eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
It was in the mid 50's here (Pacific North West) and between 6-10k RPM the bike pulls like a freight train...maybe it's cold weather induced.
Yea my bike always goes better coming into the colder months... problem is i like riding it less then because of the weather.

Kind of a win lose situation isn't it!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yea my bike always goes better coming into the colder months... problem is i like riding it less then because of the weather.

Kind of a win lose situation isn't it!
As long as it's not raining hard, I don't care too much, but it does make it a problem when there is snow and gravel on the roads.

·
Registered
235 Posts
As you get older, your brain slows down. So everything seems faster.

You old fart you!

Don't even ask how old I am.:p

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LOL....

If it blows, I get a new motor as I have a warranty for another year and a half.

Maybe it is the outside air temp
Also, I was thinking that if it was tuned too lean from the factory to meet emissions, if the air cleaner got a little dirty the mixture would enrich a bit and actually have a better air/fuel ratio?

·
Registered
7 Posts
A) These bikes were tuned so lean for CA emissions, that the used air filter could be improving the air/fuel mixture?
A dirty air filter will hamper an engines performance they are designed to breathe as much air as possible while filtering contaminates and the manufacturer tunes rich as a safety precation for delivery. This is why it's usually fine to make an exhaust mod without having to re-map the fuel delivery.

I don't think this is the reason.

B) The motor has 10k on it and is breaking in?
It should have been completely brokrn-in by the 2000 mile mark.

C) I am using 10-40 synthetic oil as opposed to 15-50 synthetic?
I too am switching over to a 10w-40 and believe the thinner oil will have an effect. I don't believe it will be a noticable performance gain.

D) I added a few ounces of Marvel Mystery oil in the fuel the last few tanks as a wise old motorcyclist suggested.
This will not give a performance gain and all the years of experience I have building, blowing engines-up and advice from others I was told to NEVER use any additives.

E) I took up the slack in the throttle cable
By doing this you shortened the throttle-thro and now it takes less wrist-twist to give it the same amount of throttle.

This is a reason.

Anymore explanations?
Yes, your suspension has completely broken in and is now operating to it's designed limits thus making you more confident feeling more comfortable. Have you had your suspension tuned to your weight and riding style? This is one of the biggest adjustment to a Bike anyone can make. If you hadn't had this done and your enjoying your bike, you won't belive the difference this will make.

·
Registered
171 Posts
LOL....

If it blows, I get a new motor as I have a warranty for another year and a half.

Maybe it is the outside air temp
Also, I was thinking that if it was tuned too lean from the factory to meet emissions, if the air cleaner got a little dirty the mixture would enrich a bit and actually have a better air/fuel ratio?
Just thought I'd throw this in... Fuel injection not carburation, restricted air flow does not change mixture anymore,, you are old aren't you..... JAB

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
....hey I personally liked the simplicity of carburation

1 - 15 of 15 Posts