Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I bought a 2010 Speed Triple SE a week ago and I wanted to give a bit of advise I wish I had when I was looking at buying this bike. This is not for the people in this forum but people looking to buy.

Why I am writing this. 6 years ago my first bike was a V-Strom 650, not long after I started riding I fell in love with the style and character of the Speed Triple but I am a pretty conservative rider, I do not fall into the “hooligan” demographic. When I started looking into owning one almost every review I read talked primarily about how insane of a bike the Speed Triple is and how the front end comes up with the flick of a wrist. Early on this got me worried about it being more bike than I wanted to deal with, I wanted something I could enjoy riding without it trying to kill me. Unfortunately there are not a lot of Triumph dealers or used Speed Triples around so a test ride was hard to come by and this made me almost pass up my dream bike. On paper the Speed Triple is a very intimidating motorcycle for someone who has not ridden anything like it. Fast forward to now, I was fortunately able to get a quick ride and ultimately bought the bike I always wanted.

This is what I am here to say, The Speed Triple is easy to ride and there no need to be intimidating, it makes very usable power in 1st and 2nd without trying to come up like I was initially afraid of, you can ride this bike quickly on the street without it biting you. I am not saying I would recommend it to a beginner, it makes gobs of power and if you do not respect it you can get into trouble, I am sure (I have not tried) if I snatch on the throttle in 1st gear, especially above 5k, It will stand up no problem (maybe even 2nd), and the throttle does get touchy when higher in the revs but its quite controllable. You have to be trying to ride aggressively for it to become aggressive. If I roll on the throttle smoothly off the line and shift around 6k I can still be faster than most things around me and enjoy power the bike offers without getting crazy. I have not had this bike “scare” me.

If you are not a hooligan and looking for a fast competent street bike the Speed Triple is a great choice, do not pass it up because of its reputation, but don't blame me if it turns you into one.

Reactions: cmac06

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Ok, so I guess you answered your own question in the tital?
So what's the question?
It's a great bike. Vastly underestimated and overlooked by the majority.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey everyone, I bought a 2010 Speed Triple SE a week ago and I wanted to give a bit of advise I wish I had when I was looking at buying this bike. This is not for the people in this forum but people looking to buy.

Why I am writing this. 6 years ago my first bike was a V-Strom 650, not long after I started riding I fell in love with the style and character of the Speed Triple but I am a pretty conservative rider, I do not fall into the “hooligan” demographic. When I started looking into owning one almost every review I read talked primarily about how insane of a bike the Speed Triple is and how the front end comes up with the flick of a wrist. Early on this got me worried about it being more bike than I wanted to deal with, I wanted something I could enjoy riding without it trying to kill me. Unfortunately there are not a lot of Triumph dealers or used Speed Triples around so a test ride was hard to come by and this made me almost pass up my dream bike. On paper the Speed Triple is a very intimidating motorcycle for someone who has not ridden anything like it. Fast forward to now, I was fortunately able to get a quick ride and ultimately bought the bike I always wanted.

This is what I am here to say, The Speed Triple is easy to ride and there no need to be intimidating, it makes very usable power in 1st and 2nd without trying to come up like I was initially afraid of, you can ride this bike quickly on the street without it biting you. I am not saying I would recommend it to a beginner, it makes gobs of power and if you do not respect it you can get into trouble, I am sure (I have not tried) if I snatch on the throttle in 1st gear, especially above 5k, It will stand up no problem (maybe even 2nd), and the throttle does get touchy when higher in the revs but its quite controllable. You have to be trying to ride aggressively for it to become aggressive. If I roll on the throttle smoothly off the line and shift around 6k I can still be faster than most things around me and enjoy power the bike offers without getting crazy. I have not had this bike “scare” me.

If you are not a hooligan and looking for a fast competent street bike the Speed Triple is a great choice, do not pass it up because of its reputation, but don't blame me if it turns you into one.
Crack the throttle in first and you will. But really I came off a speed four and everything you describe as scary is what I wanted in the bike. I felt 600cc too low powered for city driving. You have to whip the hell out of the throttle and tap dance on the shifter to get places or around things. Speed Triple's are tame in the sense that they are very predictable. Nothing bad will happen unless you intentionally wanted the bad.

Ok, so I guess you answered your own question in the tital?
So what's the question?
It's a great bike. Vastly underestimated and overlooked by the majority.
I think its more of a PSA to those looking to buy.

·
Registered
103 Posts
They use triples to teach wheelies. Awesome engine and smooth and controlled imo. Love the triple engine first bike I ever wheelied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, I have been loving it, its exactly what I was looking for in a street bike. I know the post may sound a bit silly to people who are in this forum but to people who don't have exposure to different bikes posts like this are what helps me make informed decisions.

Reactions: Rhyno54

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well done Vektra.

I love my 2012 S3R. And I am a card carrying senior citizen. Like you, its a perfect bike for me right now.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Good post and probably useful in the sense that triumph really has the fuelling down and in typical british fashion the power is smooth, predictable, and linear but you left out that she does LIKE to be spanked and coaxed into being naughty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts