Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got home tonight after a nice ride and did my post ride inspection and noticed the nut on the drive side was loose. Concerning. It is the nut opposite the wheel same size as the wheel nut but on the other side. Not sure how it was able to come loose but it did.

So my question is two fold; what does this nut hold on? it seems pretty flimsy to have any real structural value. And 2nd what torque value is needed to tighten this thing up.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I dont have a service manual yet. I know I know shame on me (on google looking for one now)

The nut was staked thats why I was kinda surprised that it came loose. I kinda recall loosening it when I first bought the bike because I thought that is how the wheel came off. But that was like day 2 of ownership. I will torque it down first thing tomorrow. Should I restake the nut to prevent it from spinning loose again?

Thanks Ken

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
perhaps I miss understand what you mean by staked.

It has notches cut into it at varying points on the outer lip.

i will attempt to get pics posted tomorrow of it.

It appears as if it was hit with a flathead screw driver to make the notches. I guess a trip to the dealer is in order now.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Not certain what you mean by "notches"?

The axle shaft should have only one machined slot. The plain portion of the nut is meant to be staked into this slot as a retention method.
Wish I had a better picture, but I think this one should illustrate it well enough.

9-27-07 011.jpg

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perfect picture. My stake is what I was referring to as notches. I believe that the I may have tried to remove the nut previously and didn't know about the takes.

So tomorrow I will torque down the nut to spec and re stake the nut then head off to the dealer when they open and get a new nut and repeat the process.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts