Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’ve been posting a while , gathering info for some major mods .
a few of you have helped a bit on the way so I thought I’d share some of my very slow progress (getting a new Girlfriend hasn’t helped at all! Plus my garage doesn’t have electric , have to use a generator so starting this in December with short daylight hours, plus having 4 other bikes to tinker with , and paying for all the mods too had made it a very slow 6 months so far)

it started last Summer when I bought this 2000S3 with 35k and full service history for £900 , that had been sitting for 6 years in the corner of Classic VW restorers garage . He’d had it years and had a minor slow speed off and barely used it since then .
I recommissioned it , all fluids , the cooling system took 8 flushes to get it to run clean 😂
All filters
Plugs
2 draglink bearings
Stripped & cleaned the calipers
Checked the water pump impeller (remarkably was still 100% intact .
Then it was ready for mot and passed with flying colours

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I then bought a black bodywork kit …
I do love the roulette green , to a point , but generally have black bikes , and ran it til December . Such a great bike , fantastic fun

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I then started getting itchy feet , as I can’t leave anything alone , and being happy with the the bike I thought yep on going to keep this , and will probably never sell it .
I really like the early 1050 look so set about finding parts for a conversion ..
just to note , I love rebuilding bikes . I could have sold this and bought a 1050, but it cost me £900, and I could have gone and bought a 1050 and then spent a ton of cash on that upgrading the forks and rebuilding it so it was mint , so I thought I’d just focus on my 955 and make it quite unique (spec wise anyway)
So December came and the strip down started.
I’ve bought GSXR1000 k8 front end (FYI the yokes will be changed to K6 bottom yoke and a custom top yoke to bring back the trail )
I’ve also bought:
‘07 swing arm - this is 1cm shorter than the ‘00 swing arm , it is also about 2lbs heavier !
‘07 rear wheel - this is also slightly heavier than the ‘00 wheel
06 fuel Tank & pump
Single feed no return fuel rail (recommended by Decosse 👍)
‘06 side panels
‘08 belly pan
‘06 fly screen
‘06 subframe
‘06 1050 and ‘04 Daytona airboxes to play around with clearance under the ‘06 tank and retain ivac..
‘06 new 1050 alloy Radiator
New disc bolts
New cam cover bolts
Also ton of other new Triumph bolts .

I cut the front tank mount lugs off the frame
The frame & swing arm have been powder coated satin black
Front & rear wheels powder coated gloss black.

I’m on the lookout for a replacement shock , I might end up buying a new Nitron . The Hyperpro shock colours would look better for what I’m doing but they are emulsion shocks and I thought if I’m spending all that I’m going to get a Nitron with separate oil/gas .
standard shock is in at the moment just so can get it built back up .

I’m also looking at the Sprint speedo drive mod , I also have a 2002 Daytona in the garage so I Might have a play with the Daytona speedo & clocks as a potential mod .

I’ve painted the engine myself as didn’t trust ingress of blast media / water into a complete engine . It took about 20 hours to get all the old paint off the engine .. huge job. just the clutch cover and a few coolant unions to paint now .

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m currently at this stage .
Just painted front disc rotors . GSXR front end going on today , the it’s on wheels at least and won’t be hogging my workbench non stop 😂
Then will put loom and alternator back in , then get the subframe on , then I can start the airbox work , start to fabricate my own undertray out of 2mm Aluminium sheet and
Try and decide what rear light I’m going to use . I’ll be keeping the round headlights , not sure yet if I’m going to have them rechromed or powder coated black .

·
Registered
2000 Speed Triple 955i
995 Posts
Yeah fair play on stripping the paint off the engine by hand, it looks great now! What did you use?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah fair play on stripping the paint off the engine by hand, it looks great now! What did you use?
Thanks .
It’s gloss black Simoniz engine enamel. I’d read some good reports about it so worth the try . It doesn’t look bad at all. It’s not perfect but looks very reasonable and is a huge improvement .
It’s about 4 coats . I could have spent more time on it and got a near factory finish but I think it may have taken another 15 hours and as I have a plan for a 1050 in the future didn’t see the point , but also as I don’t yet know how the paint performs so was another reason not to give it more time if that makes sense 😂

1 - 8 of 8 Posts