Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first season with my new (to me) 2005 Sprint ST, and I managed to put 1500km on her so far (weather hasnt been too great yet). Here are my observations so far:

-This thing puts out a LOT of heat! Its still relatively cool, and my legs are still frying. Even when its around 12C at highway speeds, I still feel the heat! This is really gonna suck in the summer :(

-I dunno what everyone is talking about, but the headlights are really not bad at all! Even in the turns, I dont see the issue everyone is talking about.

-The brakes SUCK. PERIOD. They are pretty squishy and not linear whatsoever. I bled them properly, and they were nice and firm, which only lasted a week at best. Now they are back to mush again. As soon as I have the money, 6-pots are going on. It's downright dangerous.

-I'm still unsure if I like the way the bike handles. It feels a bit slow in turn in, not very "sharp" at all. But then again, I really think that has to do with the tires (BT-021's)...I think they are ruining the bike for me. :(

-The engine is phenomenal! Great power and torque, lovely sound. Bike is also comfortable, no vibrations. Great mirrors, great dash..I'm really diggin it!

So basically with 6-pots and better tires, I think I'll be REALLY happy. :D

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
-This thing puts out a LOT of heat! Its still relatively cool, and my legs are still frying. Even when its around 12C at highway speeds, I still feel the heat! This is really gonna suck in the summer :(
Go with the Triumph off road tune and either the Triumph TOR muffler, or an aftermarket one. It's a HUGE reduction in heat! :cool:

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
JonnyThrice

the turn in is good on these and your issue will be directly related to your suspension set up and the BT 021's which are very round in profile.

You will find that the Michelin Pilot Road 2's or the Pilot Power 2CT's will provide enhanced turn in speed due to the profile being more Vee shaped.

Re the brakes, there has never been an issue of safety but of feel and lever travel, the brakes are powerful.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re the brakes, there has never been an issue of safety but of feel and lever travel, the brakes are powerful....
They may be powerful, but hooking into a series of corners and having the front brakes take up at a different point each time most definitely IS a safety issue, and that is exactly the reason people agonise over front brake upgrades....

Muz

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Try EBC HH along with the upgraded MC.It fixed my brakes.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My brakes are fine too... and I think that I have the original OEM's on them (bought the bike at 3700km on the odo, so)...

As for the bike not having the quickest turn-in, yes, although the tire swap to others than Brigestones, this will help, I myself, discovered a whole new bike once I removed the originals. But, your background with motorcycle is coming off a ZZR600 (same as my girlfriend I believe) and so, you can't compare, its like apple and oranges... the ZZR, everytime I flip a leg over it... its a freakin toy compare to our sport-tourers here...

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
They may be powerful, but hooking into a series of corners and having the front brakes take up at a different point each time most definitely IS a safety issue, and that is exactly the reason people agonise over front brake upgrades....

Muz
Always such a happy helpful poster Muz.

Perhaps you would care to explain in technical terms how in a series of turns the brake lever is in a different position of take up each time.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The brakes themselves work fine, but its the feel I find dangerous. For instance, in traffic at low speeds, I pull the lever in slightly to stop (hey, I'm only going 10 mph), but nothing happens, so I must pull the lever more and more and then BAM, I'm almost pulling a stoppie. I just find them completely impossible to modulate and feel how much or how little I am braking. When I had them bled a few weeks ago, they felt perfect!

As for the handling, I am sure its the tires..I hate these BT-021's more and more every day and cant wait till I get rid of them. I just started a new job which pays MUCH less then before, so I wont be able to afford new tires for a while, so I might have to learn to enjoy them for this season...ugh.

And for the heat issue...I find all the heat is coming from the engine, not the exhaust. My shins and calves burn! I have checked for recalls, and the only outstanding recall is the drag link bolt, so I'm assuming the foam was already installed. Anyway to check that?

I also heard somewhere that just getting the TOR tune (no exhaust) will reduce the heat a bit and add a bit of performance...any truth to this?

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Don't know what your issue is but when I can make the front tire(tyre) bawl at will and stoppie both under complete control I'd have to say the front brake is pretty darned good.
And I've ridden very many Sprints and they are all the same. Don't know about the rear though. Never use it.

Muz

·
Registered
218 Posts
And for the heat issue...I find all the heat is coming from the engine, not the exhaust. My shins and calves burn!
I will probably get flamed (no pun intended) for this.. but you are not alone with the heat thing.. yes- even with proper gear on..:cool:

A couple weeks ago I rode several days all day long (8-10 hours a day) and felt little to no heat due to the cool mountain air, and the non stop nature of those rodes...

as soon as I got home and rode around Miami, I once again felt the heat..

its not as bad as it was when I first got the bike.. I did the exhaust swap to the trident and the change of tune.

you sort of get used to the heat, and as long as you are not in city traffic (which unfortunately is what I drive in mostly)... its not that bad after a while.

let me know if you find a solution to this...

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Although I have gone the six pot route, I had no probs with the stock brakes. The six pots were just shinier. :D

I did notice that the EBC HHs were more predictable than the stock pads.

Going to a TOR, or any other aftermarket can, will reduce heat by virtue of eliminating the two cats in the stock silencer. However, I did not notice a drastic reduction. And the heat from the side pipe and pre-cat will still be there. I ride in Florida and the heat has never been an issue for me. Others are more susceptible to it.

You will not find a recall for the foam heat kit because, as some research would show, it was a factory goodwill installation program. I do not know how long that program was in effect, but the pieces are currently available for purchase.

More than enough info re the BT-021s to add to it.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
And for the heat issue...I find all the heat is coming from the engine, not the exhaust. My shins and calves burn! I have checked for recalls, and the only outstanding recall is the drag link bolt, so I'm assuming the foam was already installed. Anyway to check that?
Don't assume... just remove one side of the fairing and check by yourself... I had mine installed some foam by the Moto Montreal Cycle shop last summer... at my own cost ('round 80$ if I remember for the foams) and It is a little bit more bearable... although some heat still comes out and will still bake your leg in a hot day through traffic in montreal.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Easy to check for the foam kit if in doubt. Just take a peek from the rear of the fairing with a flash light (torch for some :D) and look for a large piece of black/dark gray foam rubber. It resembles air conditioning rubber insulation. If i remember correctly, the right side is to easiest to see it from.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts