Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '08 Tiger 1050 to go with my '07 Sprint ST 1050. Can't wait 'till Saturday when I collect it. Anyone in UK know where I can get a good rear luggage rack from ? The only ones I've seen have ugly mounts (except the genuine Triumph top box base). Think I might make one myself from Ally plate if none out there. Should be easy to fab something that fixes from the rear grab rail holes.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Hi JB,

Congrats on the new Tiger :)

Of course some would say you're a greedy bugger for having two Triumphs, but I would say you are keeping Hinckley going through the recession - good on you :D

Hope you get some decent weather to play :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hope you get some decent weather to play :)
When I left work at 17:45 in Souf Croyden, I quickly noticed that the roads were dry, FFS! I glanced at the outside temperature in the cage and it read 12 degrees C! I hope it lasts - I've a toy run on Saturday and the club's annual 'Cider run' on Sunday. Hic.:D

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi JB,

Congrats on the new Tiger :)

Of course some would say you're a greedy bugger for having two Triumphs, but I would say you are keeping Hinckley going through the recession - good on you :D
Naa, right first time G...just greedy !! Wanted a Tiger for a few years now, but was put off by the seat height, what with my little legs. Tried one when my Sprint was in for service and liked, so finally took the plunge. Still love my ST, but time will tell which one I use for my next June tour to Croatia.
Weather forecast is OK for Saturday, so fingers crossed. Don't mind the rain too much, but don't like that solid water stuff !!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Congrats, jonnybiscuit, good choice. As for the height, it's not hard to lower it - been done by quite a few owners! My legs aren't short, just my ankles (my story and I'm sticking to it!), so I lowered the back of mine by 38mm. and the front by 28mm. Helps with the confidence-thing.

But be warned, spending money on it becomes addictive!!

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Welcome JB,

Hope you enjoy your "roadie" and find the luggage rack you need. Actually it all depends on what luggage you want. If you want a soft bag, Ventura make one, but it won't likely work if you want the OEM Panniers as well. It doesn't on the Girlies.

Mick :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Welcome JB.

Mike, I just read on another forum that the ventura system does work with the OEM panniers for the Tiger 1050. I haven't confirmed this, but given the mounting rails for the rack am inclined to take it at face value.

I like the ventura's and have had them on every bike for the past 10years (about 5 bikes). I keep the old bag and buy a new when I trade up and then have the option to zip 2 bags together or have a weathered every day bag, and a newer touring bag :D

Russ

·
Registered
229 Posts
The Ventura racks do indeed work with the OEM panniers on the 1050, 'cos that's what I did. As Russ said, they work well and provide great flexibility.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Congrats on new ride. Do you flip a coin to decide which you will ride that day???

Having two Triumph's in the garage is a good thing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you had a look at the new Touratech 'Streetline' catalogue. They now cater for the 1050.
Thanks all.
STman (you must be just down the road from me?) I quite like the Touratech. Let me think on it.
Now don't get me wrong RT, I'm quite decisive, but the trouble with flipping a coin is that I go OK best of 3...OK best of 5...OK...best of 7 etc....It'll be dark before I decide :confused:.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Jonnybiscuit,

I was in a similiar situation as you, but now only have the 1050 Tiger as it does everything!

If you have the ST1050 with standard luggage then you will either love or hate it.

If you hate it, try Hepco & Becker for luggage and racks etc:

http://www.hepco-becker.de/_eng/frameset.php
http://www.hepco-becker.de/anbauanleitungen/650704.0101.pdf

I have the rack and 52Ltr Jouney topbox which takes two Schuberths Lids, and the quick release pannier racks with a 30Ltr and 40 Ltr Junnior Panniers. All waterproof and easy to use. The pannier rack comes off in 1 minute and I replace the topbox with a Touratech back back for "normal" use.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts