Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

My new T120

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  fluffvogel 
#1 ·
I haven't started with the farkle yet in this picture but I've got a NC Deflector DX on the way and a passenger backrest for the Lovely Mrs. Modisette. Yeah, I know, I know - removes tons of cool factor but I'm tired of hanging on for dear life over 65 mph and having the Missus happy boosts my motorcycle budget. :wink2:

I traded in a Thunderbird 900 for the T120 and I still have some nice leather saddle bags and the two chrome pannier brackets. It looks to me like the brackets will fit if I turn them upside down and buy some longer bolts. I don't know if I will ever use the saddle bags since I have all the storage options on my Honda NC700x and if I need to tote stuff or do a weekender, I can use that bike with the corresponding decrease in cool factor. :laugh2:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats Dave. With the backrest, it seems you have to buy a number of separate components (metalwork/cushion/fixing kit?).
Is that right?
Have you ordered the standard or delux backrest and have you also gone for a rear rack too.
Sorry for so many questions but maybe I'm overthinking things in anticipation of getting my T120 Black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
As of now, I haven't received anything other than the windshield which came in about 2 hours ago and sits here in my office. I have the passenger backrest bracket (A9758183) and the pad with the white piping (A2308914) on order.

There is an additional piece that I am considering which is the luggage rack (A9758191) that complements the passenger backrest. All of the Triumph gear is so overpriced but believe it or not, the lovely Mrs. Modisette insists that I get Triumph labeled gear. It's got to have that logo or she isn't happy. Haha, they broke the mold with that one, I'd say. :wink2:

I'll post about the quality of the metal gear when it comes in and I get it installed.

#3 ·
I traded in a Thunderbird 900 for the T120 ...
How does the T120 compare with the Thunderbird? I have a Thunderbird Sport and might consider a similar trade to yours. The TBS has been a great bike for me, but the legroom feels a bit cramped, even though I'm only 5' 8" with a 30" inseam. How do the two engines compare - subjectively - for torque?

#4 ·
Just to be sure we're talking about the same Thunderbird model, I had a 2000 TBird 900. On the way to the dealer, I was riding the Thunderbird and thinking that why would I be considering getting rid of it? It had plenty of power and with the exception that my knees felt like they were about an inch or so higher than I wanted them to be (I'm 6 ft 1 in), it was comfortable. But it felt top heavy and it was getting long in the tooth and finding mechanics to work on it was hard to do. But I had stopped by the Triumph dealer three weeks prior and they had some nice 2015 models there and the young lady who was answering my questions said to bring my old TBird by and let them evaluate it.

I had pretty much decided to keep my old bike when that young lady called and invited me to take a look at the new T120 that had just arrived. She reminded me to bring my old bike with me and that's what I did.

When I arrived and was looking at the two T120s outside the entrance way, she met me with a key in hand and a release form. When I asked what that was all about, she said, You're going to ride it, right? I replied, That could be dangerous.

First thing I noticed was that my knees were in a comfortable position. Handlebars were in a straighter configuration so that my wrists didn't feel twisted slightly. The power curve was much, much smoother. It felt like the bike was making me a better rider. Power wise, both bikes feel like they could jettison you off the rear end if you gave it enough gas. The T120 handles much better at all speeds but the TBird felt more glued to the ground when going in a straight line - probably because it felt much more heavy.

Bottom line is that I am much more happy with the T120 than I ever was with the Thunderbird 900.

You didn't mention this but the guage/information cluster is wonderful. I never thought that it would be a buying point but since I got that sort of thing on my other bike, it is great to have all that info at my fingertips on a Triumph.

#6 ·
Just to be sure we're talking about the same Thunderbird model, I had a 2000 TBird 900... You didn't mention this but the gauge/information cluster is wonderful. I never thought that it would be a buying point but since I got that sort of thing on my other bike, it is great to have all that info at my fingertips on a Triumph.
Yes, your old bike is similar to my 1998 TBS, the 900 water cooled triple. Mine also feels a little top heavy, although over the 10 years I've owned it, I've got used to it. Glad you mentioned the gauges - I like the fuel gauge and gear position indicators on my newer bikes, so that would be a definite plus for the T120. Thanks for sharing your impressions - it's really helpful.

#8 ·
I mounted the National Cycle Deflector DX this evening and it improved the ride considerably between 60 - 65 mph. I didn't take the bike up faster than that. The mounting hardware struck me as a bit undersized. I'm a plastics fabricator by trade but those molded nylon parts will have to earn my trust.

#12 ·
I too plan to ride a passenger. I would be interested to hear what bags will fit well and still work with a passenger. Bikebandit has the oem bag mounts listed for 60.00 each

Reactions: SSK Dave
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.