Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys I'm a proud parent of a '99 Legend as of this weekend. I'm really excited; I've had a tug in my heart for the 900 triples since my 18th birthday in 1998 and I finally have one of my own.

The Good:

Condition is 9/10. I can't find a single scratch, dent, ding or scrape on her. It must have been garaged its whole life; the paint looks brand new. There are just a few rusty bolts that I need to restore/replace, but that's about it for 19K mile bike.

It starts and runs perfectly. A touch of choke and it fires right up and idles great. The carbs were professionally rebuilt this year by a good shop in Austin and it has the Nology coils already installed. I took it on a short test ride through the hills and it pulled strong with no noticeable flat spots or hesitation.

It came with a bunch of extras - center stand, Triumph OEM windscreen and leather saddlebags, Epco (I think) slip-ons which are pretty loud, maybe too loud actually. Will require further experimentation there :D

The price: I paid $2,900.

The Bad:

It's missing some trim pieces. The two side covers by the seat are both MIA, and there's a big ugly gap by the tank. I'm guessing there's another piece that fits under here?

It's also missing 1 bar end and part of the battery box. Other than that I think it's all there.

Looking at the pics, is there anything else I'm missing?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, there's a thin trim piece that goes under the right rear tank. I took mine off and threw it in a box with the other extraneous parts, and haven't missed it since. You can clean up the looks of the wire bundle there by taking the label off and tucking parts here and there. I thought the trim piece looked dumb anyway.

Too bad the side covers are missing. Strange that those pieces are gone, can't you find the previous owner and ask about them?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my project for today; I have the previous owner's name and the mechanic at the shop who worked on it recently. I'm planning to call around and see if I can track them down.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Mandres,

That is a great buy and good looking bike. There are usually side covers on Ebay if you can't track them down. May have to do some paint matching, but all in all an easy fix. Enjoy the new toy.......

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Congrats, looks good!

Couple of observations....

You have the option K&Q seat on it too, which you didn't list in your extras, maybe didn't realise?

Odd that the side covers are missing, also the battery box 'door'.

And one other thing about the battery - it looks like that's the positive terminal showing this side, with its red sleeve? If that's the case, it has been fitted with a battery with the wrong terminal orientation - negative (ground) is the stock 'outer' terminal. (I didn't know the wires would even reach across to allow this - if they've been 'stretched' a bit, you may want to check this. You don't want vibration/movement stressing those connections.)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the tip IrlMike; I didn't realize that was the upgraded seat. I'm not sure I like it; it has that overstuffed-couch look while the rest of the bike is more lean and svelte. I forgot to mention it also has highway pegs installed, which you can kind of see in the profile pic. Does anyone know how these mount up? I'd like to remove them, but are they part of the engine/frame mounts? It looks like they just screw into the crankcase.

I'll check on the battery after work tonight. I think it's brand new, and it wouldn't surprise me if they specced the wrong one or put it in backwards. I'll probably go ahead and order the correct sealed type and use this one for my old suzuki if it fits.

I may have screwed up; I found a set of black side covers on ebay but they're from an Adventurer which I just read has a different sub-frame. I'll see if I can modify them to work or just sell them on if not. It was only $40 for the pair so no big loss.

Thanks for the comments everybody, I'm really excited about this bike.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I forgot to mention it also has highway pegs installed, which you can kind of see in the profile pic. Does anyone know how these mount up? I'd like to remove them, but are they part of the engine/frame mounts? It looks like they just screw into the crankcase.

Thanks for the comments everybody, I'm really excited about this bike.
If you end up removing these, is there any way you would consider selling them? i would love to have a set of hwy pegs on my legend.

can you post some pictures of how they are installed? anything would help.

thanks!

PS: nice bike man! i'm sure you'll love it! :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure, I'll try to remove them tonight and see what we've got exactly. If they're holding the engine in the frame then I won't be able to sell them until I source replacement stock bolts. If they're just stuck in the engine it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Sure, I'll try to remove them tonight and see what we've got exactly. If they're holding the engine in the frame then I won't be able to sell them until I source replacement stock bolts. If they're just stuck in the engine it shouldn't be a problem.
there is no frame run under your motor. the motor is a "stressed member" of the frame and it hangs from the main spine of the motorcycle.

i took a look on mine approx where yours seem to bolt in and i couldn't even find holes for bolts to go in. There are some engine case bolts down there, but surely they wouldn't be pulled out to put hwy pegs on.

Please take pictures and post them!

·
Registered
272 Posts
The side covers that are missing are almost always listed on ebay, usually by salvage companies that buy totaled bikes from the insurance companies and then part them out.
I'm sure you'll enjoy this bike and the many smiles per mile it will bring.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I finally took some time to check out this highway bar and see how it's mounted. It's bolted into the underside of the crankcase in front of the oil pan. Here are some pics looking from the front underside of the bike:

There are 3 bolts total. I wonder if the installer drilled them, or if the holes are already there on the engine? I'll try taking it off this weekend (and crossing my fingers that oil doesn't come pouring out) then clean it up and post good pictures.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've seen them fitted this way before. My fear would be that if the bike fell on them in any king of accident that the engine case could break, probably meaning the bike would be a write off.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've seen them fitted this way before. My fear would be that if the bike fell on them in any king of accident that the engine case could break, probably meaning the bike would be a write off.
the engine is right up front, so if the accident was bad enough it could crack anyway. I guess a shank of steel bolted on the sides could cause some extra damage if the bike was laid over.

Factory or otherwise replacement parts for this bike are pretty pricey and i don't know about your's but the KBB on mine is around $2500. I'm not saying that you can't SELL it for more than that, but you insurance will only give you the retail value in replacement/repairs.

So, in the event of an accident of pretty much any kind other than slip and dropped it standing still, your bike would be totaled by your insurance. I don't even keep comprehensive on mine. I have collision+theft (and liability).

in fact, before he gave me the legend, he had dropped it on the left side by slipping in a puddle of water/diesel. when i got it, the end of the gear shift spindle was snapped off. The shift lever wasn't able to stay on at all. In order to fix that properly, i would have had to replace that shaft, which is all the way at the back of the engine.

So that means i would have had to (pay someone to) drop the engine, split the case and disassemble transmission to just get access to it. YEAH.

So that would have definitely cost more than $2500 to fix at a shop, IF you could find the part.

So that little drop, would have TOTALED the bike if we wanted insurance to "fix" it.

PS: My mechanic ended up drilling out the end of the shaft, tapping it, a good measure of locktite, and a installing a grade 9 bolt on the end to keep the shift lever in place. he told me i should sell it asap, but i just couldn't. besides i needed a bike. ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
The Pipes look stock if they are loud however they are Triumph Off roads or as we call them TORS. It will be marked on the underside for off road use only.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Pipes look stock if they are loud however they are Triumph Off roads or as we call them TORS. It will be marked on the underside for off road use only.
Thanks, I did double check after I posted and discovered that they are in fact the TORS. They're much louder than I'm used to, but I'm sure I'll get used to it :). Is there any easy way to quiet them slightly? I can take them off if there's a way add a baffle or something

·
Registered
338 Posts
There is no way to add a baffle but some people take the stock Triumph pipes and drill out one or two of the four baffles to obtain the desired sound. if you decide to do that down the road and don't like your TORS let me know. I'd buy them from you. I'd ride it a while you most likely will get used to them. Enjoy your new Legend TT they are great bikes I have a 2000 myself.

·
Premium Member
3,793 Posts
You can get baffles that fit inside of the headers.

I used to have some inserted in the D&D headers.

Those are sold for Harley's and come in different lengths and diameters.

I got mine through one of the online places. Probably J&P cycles, but I do not remember for sure which one.

They were not so easy to install and did not muffle much but they did take the edge off of the loudness of those.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts