Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 96 Thunderbird in black, has about 22k miles. Seemingly well maintained by the 2 previous older gentlemen. It's my first bike, and its a pleasure to ride. Very smooth throttle and comfortable. A nice level of power to satisfy, but not too much for my beginner level.

The only thing wrong with it is a stuck choke cable. But starts right up at least for summer. Also I feel like the clutch and front brake need to be adjusted as they engage very late into the squeeze.

Came with Triumph saddle bags that I took off. I plan to take off the backrest as well, like the naked look better, and too new to take passengers anyway.

I've been browsing this forum, seen people mention that there are a lot of DIY write ups but I haven't really come across any. Where are they located? Also any recommendations for a security/lock?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Nice! If you haven't yet discovered it, both the factory saddlebags and especially the backrest are rare, highly sought after, and command very good pricing!

Welcome to the forum! Hang around and explore some. Good folks and tons of great info and help on here.

·
Premium Member
3,364 Posts
What he said.

There really isn't any brake adjustment to make. You can adjust the position of the pedal for the rear brake, but make sure the master cylinder can return fully or the brake will lock up on you. If the front brake pads are not badly worn the only thing you can do there is ensure there is no air in the system.

It's a good idea to flush both brakes and the clutch every 2 years or so. If any moisture gets absorbed into the fluid that can also cause problems.

Those saddle bag brackets are worth something, too! ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha vultures already circling my gear. Plan to keep the saddlebags if I ever do long trips and prob likewise the backrest. Didn't even realize that those were saddlebag brackets, will prob take those off too then.

I'll look into bleeding the brakes, are there any guides out there for working on this bike? I've done work on cars but never bikes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts