Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought this '96 TBird a few days ago. Low miles (75xx) and overall in great condition, just needs a bit more cleanup of the wheels / spokes and underside of the motor. I've always dreamed of getting one of these since I saw them 20 years ago. I really love the color of this one, it's the Cardinal Red & silver. Strange because that really wasn't a color offered until '97. But the VIN plate says MFG date of Aug 1995, so who knows? It does still have the Akront aluminum rims.
I absolutely love the sound of this bike, it has the TORs exhaust. Selling my Thruxton so I could get this one... it's hard to see the Thruxton go because it's a great bike with lots of character, but I didn't want to sell my other triple either ('96 Trident). I must really love triples. :laugh2:
Here's a couple of photos of the new bike:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Very nice! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, looks sharp! The pictures make it look brand new!

I always liked the fact that Triumph stuffed the triples into "cruiser" bikes. Seeing the sideways looks as "cruiser guys" count the exhaust pipes is always a laugh. I've never owned a triple, but have demo'd an older Thunderbird before. I was more into sport touring at the time, and ended up with something else at the time.

What year Thruxton did you part with? How do you compare the power delivery and engine character between the two bikes?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. Yes, the triples motors really have a great character. My Thruxton is a 2012, it's still for sale. I'd have to say the triples have a lot more torque (both being "900s"), and really accelerate a lot harder. But I do still love the Triumph parallel twins, too. Guess I just have a soft spot for the sound of a triple (including the old 2 stroke triples too).

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Triples

Outstanding! Triples are for riding and twins are for....... Shoot I'm not sure what twins are good for,:grin2:. You have a 96 Trident, find yourself a set of Daytona adjustable forks add a set of 17" wheels and a set of Tokiko six pots on the front and you will enjoy that Triple even more.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It looks fantastic! I had sold my '96 back in 2012 but bought it back this past Feb! I had to have that triple back in the stable. Lots of luck with it.

Joe

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! Yes, they are great bikes. Post a photo of yours, what color do you have?
I've been riding it for a few weeks, but it runs a bit rough just off idle, (I can really tell the difference from how my Trident runs). I've run a few tankfuls with Seafoam through it & no change. So I've been doing some research here & decided to pull off the carbs last night, since the rubber boots are cracked pretty bad, and I'm thinking maybe some of the O-rings or other rubber parts might need replacing inside the carbs. I'll give the carbs a good cleaning too. If that doesn't fix it, maybe I'll look at the coils. I enjoy working on bikes almost as much as riding them, so no big deal.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Runs rough off idle could be the known Mikuni needle jet wear. Caused by slide wear, but needle jet replacement will usually fix it for a good number of miles. (Hesitation when picking up from a closed throttle.)

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Outstanding! Triples are for riding and twins are for........
I have two 900 triples and a twin. Love them all. This is a nice T-Bird. I've looked for one locally for years. I finally bought a Legend instead. I would still trade it for a clean T-Bird. ...J.D.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! Carbs are off now & all apart for cleaning. Most o-rings are pretty hard & a bit flattened out, so I'll be ordering those. Slide wear doesn't appear too bad (but only 7500 miles on it). Both of the "dimples" on the guides are very visible still.
Needles have some light wear on one side, not sure if I need to replace or not?
Not sure how visible it would be if I tried a photo.
I did notice that someone had set all 3 idle air screws to 3.5 turns out, that seems way too much. I think it's supposed to be 1.5?
I did notice it seemed to smell rich at idle, and you couldn't use any choke on a cold start. That doesn't seem to correlate with the idle air screw setting though, I would think too many turns out would lean out the mixture?
Starting this bike is quite opposite from my Trident, which needs choke for cold start only.
A few holes in the emulsion tubes were clogged, but otherwise nothing too out of the ordinary.

Also just discovered that someone had set the needle clip for #3 carb in position 2, while the others were in position 3. Maybe that caused the poor off idle response too, because it would seem one carb would be running richer than the others?

·
Registered
19 Speed Twin / 00 TBS
803 Posts
Nice bike. And just run in.
Think I would try and get your carbs back to standard spec. Might be no need to replace anything just. Set the mixture screws back to 2 1/2 for starters and see how it goes.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks! Well as of last night it's all back together. What a relief, it started right up! I ended up replacing all the O-rings in the carbs, float bowl gaskets, & cleaned out the carbs, emulsion tubes & jets, etc... Also cleaned both mesh filters in the fuel tap, they weren't too dirty.
Anyway, took a 25 mile ride to see how it runs. Bottom line: a lot better, but not perfect like my Trident runs. The bogging off idle is gone, but there's still some hesitation or missing once in a while when opening the throttle (not hammering it, just normal acceleration). I did set the idle adjuster screws to 2.5 turns out.
Also discovered when I had things apart that there was a K&N filter in the stock airbox, and when I replaced the carb-to-head boots, I got the slightly larger diameter (unrestricted) boots. Not sure if this could cause differences in running.
So not sure if this is due to coils starting to go bad, or maybe the needles slightly worn (I could just see some marks along one side of the needles, but they didn't look too bad to me). I'm not sure how worn they have to be before it starts affecting performance.
Any ideas?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts