Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this 78 on the weekend.

It looks bit rough but it's mechanically pretty sound and has a really strong engine.

A question.. I know the pipes and bars obviously aren't stock but how about the tank?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I like the breadbox better, always have. An upside of this is that they carry more fuel so you can go for longer..........every man wants to go for longer!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
'78 model

Hi,
congratulations on adopting your new family member.

couple things different from my '78 are the carbs (mine has Mk II) and even the head looks different. the picture makes it look like the carbs point outward like the earlier bonnevilles, whereas mine come straight back and connect to the air box.

Other folks on here may know if 78 had some change over. all depends on the VIN number, I suppose.

new valve guides made a huge difference for me. mine came with boyer ignition added.
also, where the swingarm welds onto OIF, the weld cracked and leaked oil bad - until re-welded.

otherwise I've enjoyed mine a lot.

enjoy
HOPOIL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gibo has a "V" model with splayed intakes and "Mark 1-1/2" Amals.

The later "E" model had the parallel intake tracts with the Mark II carbs.
Are you sure I've got Mark 1-1/2 Amals and not Mark 1's?

It doesn't say anything on them to indicate what they are, the only markings are 932/L301 on the left and 932/R300 on the right.

I'm about to get some pod filters on the carbs and really need to know what version I'm running to get the right size.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts