Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone....just got home from CA on vacation. While there, a dear old friend of mine gave me an old Triumph motorcycle. He didn't know what year or model it was. I've been on the internet all day and found this forum. GREAT forum by the way.....anyway, what I brought home was, a 1968 TR6C. At least that's what the frame and engine serial numbers tell me. What's confusing me though is, I've looked at plenty of pictures that show bikes with the low pipes. This bike has high pipes with th grill, folding foot pegs front and rear, chrome or stainless front and rear fenders. The tank still has the badges on it. My other question is, of the 1573 made, what color options were there and what model options were there ? If it helps, the serial number reads: TR6C DU70071 on both the engine and neck of the frame/ upper down tube.

HotRod

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Welcome to the forum Hotrod. I hope your time here with us will be both helpful and an enjoyable experience for you.

Well, you have been blessed with a very respected and desirable machine there. Thank God for dear old friends wherever they be.

We have a couple of historians on this site and one hopes they'll chip in with the info you need. RR

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Retro....I appreciate it. I've been a long time member of the Road Star Riders forum. I've never been let down with any questions I've asked and I've always contributed to who ever or what ever I could in order to help a fellow rider out. I've always believed in that it's not what you ride, it's that you ride (or may have at one time)..LOL For our more senior enthusiasts. I'm excited to get this one restored and ridable.

HotRod

·
Registered
455 Posts
Off the top of my head, I think they were blue/silver, but I will confirm that.
My friend has a 68 and I have a 67 TR6C.
These bikes are pretty rare. A lot of them got made into off road racers. They originally have high pipes,no tach, small headlight,folding pegs and stainless fenders.
The TR6R is the one with the low pipes.
It sounds like your bike is very original. What kind of paint scheme?
I believe the only option was heat shields for the mufflers.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hello everyone....just got home from CA on vacation. While there, a dear old friend of mine gave me an old Triumph motorcycle. He didn't know what year or model it was. I've been on the internet all day and found this forum. GREAT forum by the way.....anyway, what I brought home was, a 1968 TR6C. At least that's what the frame and engine serial numbers tell me. What's confusing me though is, I've looked at plenty of pictures that show bikes with the low pipes. This bike has high pipes with th grill, folding foot pegs front and rear, chrome or stainless front and rear fenders. The tank still has the badges on it. My other question is, of the 1573 made, what color options were there and what model options were there ? If it helps, the serial number reads: TR6C DU70071 on both the engine and neck of the frame/ upper down tube.

HotRod
I can't read. Could you load a photo of 'er?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tank, oil tank and side cover paint is a light shiny blue with white in the tank badges. No silver. I have to assume it's a repaint because there is no evidence of any decals or stickers where they should be. I will attempt to load pics tomorrow. It has no speedo, the pipes are the high pipes with the grill as the heat shield I assume. From some of the pics I've researched, the front fender doesn't look like any of what I've seen. The rear of the front fender is flared. I can see where there may have been a strut on the back end but not on the front end. The other thing is that it doesn't have a title. How hard is it to get one for these bikes ?

HotRod

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL I know, I have those same dreams...... It was my ex father-in-law who gave me the bike. We remained close long after I divorced his daughter. He's getting up there in age and I asked him if he still had it. He said "Hell yeah,you want it" ? Didn't have to ask me twice. He had dreams of restoring it but time and age got away from him on this one. He always knew that I would do something with it. It's all about timing.

HotRod

·
Registered
455 Posts
It may be tough in Texas. I don't know.
In California it is very easy to get a bike registered without title.
Did it have a California plate? If so what color?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi HotRod, welcome...according to my reference book 'The Trophy Bible' (Wooldridge), which wanders off the track a couple of times, the 68TR6C came in Riviera Blue, high pipe & stainless guards (fenders).

I can scan you the remaining text if you would like.

cheers Mal

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
nice bikes 66-67 , my brother had a 67 saint , felt like it had knowledge a corner was coming up and just started falling in -the first road bike i'd ever ridden -congratz

·
Super Moderator
12,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum HotRod.

I'll bet dollars to donuts you can find at least a half-dozen photos of '68 TR6Cs with the "Bird cage" / "Chip Basket" style heat shields on the mufflers, from new (from the dealership).

We're talking about the pinnacle of Triumph's reign in the superbike world, (69 started thier downward spiral); dealers changed MANY parts in order to sell bikes, from whatever Triumph and the aftermarket had available at the time. ESPECIALLY Johnson motors.

Either way, what a great story. Looking forward to helping you get it sorted and making wonderful noises!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi HotRod, welcome...according to my reference book 'The Trophy Bible' (Wooldridge), which wanders off the track a couple of times, the 68TR6C came in Riviera Blue, high pipe & stainless guards (fenders).

I can scan you the remaining text if you would like.

cheers Mal
I'd love to hve the rest of the text if you don't mind. Looking at the pic you posted, I can see where there may have been some changes done. The paint for sure. The oil tank and side cover are black in the pic where as mine are painted the same color as the tank. The pic bike has heat shields where mine has the grill. I also noticed that the pipes are stagered in the pic but mine are even. They may have gotten installed that way. I really appreciate everyones help and input. Ya'll be hearing alot from me as this thing progresses.......LOL

HotRod

·
Registered
141 Posts
Re Wooldridges Book. You can download "the Trophy Bible" 1969 information at Google books on the link below. It covers all TR6 models, with a few mentions of TR6C. On Google books you can't access all the parts of the book, 69 is available however.
Scroll down to the contents page & select 1969 650's

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=XLXb80IoIpIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+trophy+bible&hl=en&ei=c08qTqCbBsX6mAXA9JyQDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

cheers Mal

1 - 15 of 15 Posts