Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

501 - 520 of 532 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #501 · (Edited)
Nothing to see here... keep riding :D ...

Well... I do have a question... is the finish on the black engine/sprocket covers flat black, matte black, semi-gloss black, gloss black or wrinkled black??

I am just documenting the part numbers and cost... but some of these I might just redo them myself of send them off to the local powder coating company... I might not do them all... not sure right now.

Sprocket cover in black

Heel guards in black

Black Ribbed Inspection Cover Part Number A9610261 - US$45.00

Black Engine Cover Kit Part Number A9618184 - US$375.00

Black Intake Covers Part Number A9618183 - US$55.00

Black TPS Covers Ribbed (for her pleasure) Part Number: A9610349 - US$60.00

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #502 · (Edited)
Oil/Filter change done... changed due to time, not due to mileage... Only 3,200 miles on it :| I need to put more miles on this bike....

Liquid gold...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
Nothing to see here... keep riding :D ...

Well... I do have a question... is the finish on the black engine/sprocket covers flat black, matte black, semi-gloss black, gloss black or wrinkled black??

I am just documenting the part numbers and cost... but some of these I might just redo them myself of send them off to the local powder coating company... I might not do them all... not sure right now.

Sprocket cover in black

Heel guards in black

You missed one combo.

My sprocket cover and engine covers (your code numbers) are very slightly wrinkled matte black (matte black with slight rough finish).
My heel guards, chain guard and front guard brackets are matte carbon.
E.

·
Registered
634 Posts
You missed one combo.

My sprocket cover and engine covers (your code numbers) are very slightly wrinkled matte black (matte black with slight rough finish).
My heel guards, chain guard and front guard brackets are matte carbon.
E.
Apart from all the panels in gloss black, I did the fairing mounting frame in textured black (powder coated)..... looks factory, not cheap silver painted crap.

P.S anyone ever notice the single russian adds on the right of the screen.... makes Bali look cheap....

·
Premium Member
1,887 Posts
I saw a previous thread about painting the silver fairing frame, great idea.

Might do that when I have the chance.

I am also going to mount the tacho and speedo to this frame to stop the loom flex plus seal the spokes and go tubeless.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I saw a previous thread about painting the silver fairing frame, great idea.

Might do that when I have the chance.

I am also going to mount the tacho and speedo to this frame to stop the loom flex plus seal the spokes and go tubeless.

I had the advantage of buying the fairing kits and getting the parts done prior to install. As far as the wires go... It came with a rubber clip on boot, but I have not fitted it yet..... would clean it up much better. I like the idea of the gauges mounted to it. I have only thought of a gps to fit between the gauges and screen of that frame. Would be cool to see it done.
17 months 4,000 km's what is going on?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 ·
....17 months 4,000 km's what is going on?
Yeah.... between family, work, and just stuff that life sends our way.... hoping this year will be one with ability to put lots of miles on it... already have a few trips planned, booked, with days taken off from work, etc. Sh** might still happen, but at least I have done my part on setting time aside to enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
2012 Street Triple R 2016 Thruxton R
2,085 Posts
@wachuko
Hey man, if you’re going to eventually, or just thinking about, going with the Black Triumph accessories, don’t forget about the Black Front Sprocket Cover Kit. Part # A9610394... For whatever reason, it’s listed absolutely nowhere. I had to call Triumph NA and beg the guy to log off of NerdBook for 5 seconds and check. Sure enough, they make one... Also, there is a Black Engine Bolt Kit. If you’re going to do this all in one shot one day, you might want to check that out. Especially since it’s only like an extra $40 bucks.

I’m snowed in with an out of nowhere 16 inches of snow, so I just went out to take a closeup of the engine cover & sprocket cover for you, to try to show the texture, and how it looks pressed right up against the almost exact same color of the black engine itself... It’s the exact same as found stock on a T120-Black & Street Twin, which is a textured matte black. Besides the sprocket cover, they are all the same part numbers actually... And as you can see, they are a lot more bug/dirt/water spot resistant. So a little less maintenance is an added bonus. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #511 · (Edited)
@wachuko
Hey man, if you’re going to eventually, or just thinking about, going with the Black Triumph accessories, don’t forget about the Black Front Sprocket Cover Kit. Part # A9610394... For whatever reason, it’s listed absolutely nowhere. I had to call Triumph NA and beg the guy to log off of NerdBook for 5 seconds and check. Sure enough, they make one... Also, there is a Black Engine Bolt Kit. If you’re going to do this all in one shot one day, you might want to check that out. Especially since it’s only like an extra $40 bucks.

I’m snowed in with an out of nowhere 16 inches of snow, so I just went out to take a closeup of the engine cover & sprocket cover for you, to try to show the texture, and how it looks pressed right up against the almost exact same color of the black engine itself... It’s the exact same as found stock on a T120-Black & Street Twin, which is a textured matte black. Besides the sprocket cover, they are all the same part numbers actually... And as you can see, they are a lot more bug/dirt/water spot resistant. So a little less maintenance is an added bonus. Cheers.
Thank you... and yeah, could not find that part number anywhere!!

Black Front Sprocket Cover Kit Part Number A9610394 - US$103.74

Heel guards in black

Black Engine Bolt Kit - Part # A9618190 - $45

And that is one of the reasons for me to be thinking about changing them to black. Beside the looks... the ones that I have got stained some how and I can't seem to be able to get rid of the stains... here, take a closer look:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Black Engine Bolt Kit - Part # A9618190 - $45

If you want to go crazy, I also bought the Black Head Bolt Cover Kit - Part # A9610275 - $50

I had almost the same spots on mine too... My most noticeable one was from after I was already off the bike for 20 to 30 mins, I was simply wiping the tank with a squirt bottle with regular water in it & a microfiber cloth. A drop or two made its way down from the bottle or tank to just like in your pictures... I couldn’t wipe it off fast enough... It’s sort of like when you were a little kid, and you accidentally left a sweaty glass or cup on your grandma’s nice stained oak dining room table without a coaster or something... It sort of stains IN the material, rather than ON the material... And you Brillo or polish that brushed look and then you have to do the whole case... The thought drove me bonkers... So I saw the Black Engine Cases on eBay really cheap & jumped on them... I knew it was going to solve the maintenance issue that I was having with the brushed ones... I didn’t know I would like the look so much, that I would end up buying almost all the Triumph black accessories though... Oh, well... I do like my bike even more than I already did when I first got it. So all in all, it worked out. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #515 ·
If that is the case... any major issues remove/replacing these covers? Involved procedure? or easy? Anything that I need to be aware/worried about when removing? I might just remove mine and send them off to the local powder coating shop... I will get the black bolt kit anyway... always like to get new bolts when removing these parts...

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
If that is the case... any major issues remove/replacing these covers? Involved procedure? or easy? Anything that I need to be aware/worried about when removing? I might just remove mine and send them off to the local powder coating shop... I will get the black bolt kit anyway... always like to get new bolts when removing these parts...
Not speaking (typing) for anyone other than myself and my own experience with these installed on my bike for over a year & a half... So not trying to argue or offend...

I haven’t had even one spot or mark on my cases that didn’t wipe right off, since I had the black ones installed.
*knock on wood*

The second to last time my bike was at the dealer, they decided to give it a “courtesy wash” without asking me. (It was the one time I wasn’t there for a “while I wait” appointment, due to it being unridable because the rear ABS sensor got sheared off cause a tech put my rear wheel on half-ass.)... Anyway, the bike got box-trucked back to me with dried hard-water spots all over the motor... The sh*t would have looked like my bike has Skittles-Pox for the rest of its life if it was on the brushed. Wiped right off the black ones with ease, to my relief.

The last time I was at the dealer, just 3 weeks ago for one nice day above 60*F we had, I got the oil changed and the ECU/Gauges recall done... From the oil change and from the long ride there & back with semi sh*tty salty roads, my bike looked like it was a relic unearthed from beneath the ancient pyramids of Egypt, and not a 2016...

All that crap wiped right off... I was so surprised, and so relieved after dealing with silly things like just dried bugs here & there from summer riding, that would always look like a murder scene outline of the bug for the rest of my life with the brushed headers & cases.

So again, I would recommend them. And the finish is the exact same as the engine if you get the Triumph ones... Instead of someone having “their guy” powder them right out behind his meth-lab one afternoon... If you look closely at that amazing expensive black full fairing one I posted of that guy’s in NYC, you can even see how the slip-on’s are a slightly different shade of black than the headers... Sprocket cover slightly off to the right-side engine case... A heel guard that looks like it was bought off the shelf from the Wal*Mart close-out sale isle... If you can pick that up from a really nice picture, imagine it in real life, on a bright sunny day up close... Na wa’ I’m say’n?

Reactions: wachuko
501 - 520 of 532 Posts